A few days later ..read on...

Paul Tull

Hello everyone and Orbx

This will be a very short opinion of my my experience downloading and installing true earth central and South for XP11.....   not!

My wife bought me these two products on Christmas day afternoon and I finally finally got Central installed over 48 hrs later, South has been downloading now since yesterday morning Fri 28th starting at 11am and it's still not done.. it's nearly there.... ..but not quite....it's going to be approx 40 hrs for the full complete download and installation for South......quite ridiculous I think.

Now.........I am no novice with flight simulators, ive done it all and got them all and had them all.......I have Fibre broadband, a mega computer....the full shebang...  ...but wow......it's a lot of time isn't it to get the full immersive experience.....I think so. 

Soooooo if your having the same experience has I have had book yourself a two weeks holiday and leave your computer on..... my computer has been on continuous now for quite sometime. 

While it has been downloading South I did manage to fly from Leeds to hull in airfoils Cessna....  it was totally awesome.. . .....I've never seen this in a desktop sim in over 20 years...   totally MEGA! 

So thank you Orbx........I think I will go away for a month though when I purchase North!

Regards

Paul 

The TE regions installation process is not just about download speed. Whilst the files can be downloaded in a matter of hours depending on your internet connection, that is just the first part of the process. The conversion of tens of thousands of files from jpg to dds format can take a significant amount of time. The key here is your PC and Windows environment. The faster your CPU and the more cores it has, the quicker the conversion process will be.

Here are some tips to speed things up:

- Don’t have any other applications running. That includes web browsers or ANY other apps

- Turn OFF anti-virus apps. This includes Windows Defender (a quick Google will show you how to do this)

- Install a better task manager like Process Lasso - this is free, and shows you exactly what your CPU cores are doing and all the tasks that are sapping your CPU power. You can allocate all the CPU, memory and IO bandwidth to FTX Central to ensure the conversion process runs a lot faster

Most of the support issues around installing TrueEarth regions stem from people having too much other stuff running on their PCs at the same time as FTX Central, and falsely thinking the installation has hung, when in fact it hasn’t.

I get all that John, I did have all applications closed etc as you recommend. I want to keep this positive though because at the end of the day with a bit of patience whatever setup you have it all works and it is bloody marvellous what you guys have done here, absolutely awesome. Thank you. 

Regards 

Paul 

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

The TE regions installation process is not just about download speed. Whilst the files can be downloaded in a matter of hours depending on your internet connection, that is just the first part of the process. The conversion of tens of thousands of files from jpg to dds format can take a significant amount of time. The key here is your PC and Windows environment. The faster your CPU and the more cores it has, the quicker the conversion process will be.

Here are some tips to speed things up:

- Don’t have any other applications running. That includes web browsers or ANY other apps

- Turn OFF anti-virus apps. This includes Windows Defender (a quick Google will show you how to do this)

- Install a better task manager like Process Lasso - this is free, and shows you exactly what your CPU cores are doing and all the tasks that are sapping your CPU power. You can allocate all the CPU, memory and IO bandwidth to FTX Central to ensure the conversion process runs a lot faster

Most of the support issues around installing TrueEarth regions stem from people having too much other stuff running on their PCs at the same time as FTX Central, and falsely thinking the installation has hung, when in fact it hasn’t.

Interesting to know

Thanks JV

Both South and Central downloaded and unpacked in about an hour for me, I think OP just had some bad luck there, sorry to hear it, but I can vouch for the fact that the OrbX system does work (for the most part anyway :unsure:).

Trouble with computers is that there might be invisible bad things going on behind the scenes that are the actual root of the problem, but it's easier said than done to figure out what the issue might be.

My usual plan is to start it off and either go out or just don't use the PC, better still let it happen whilst you sleep...Flying whilst the next portion is downloading/converting is also a bad idea....however that said it is worth the wait.......everyone will have different experience depending on so many variables also downloads this time of year can be slower as there are more users etc...

Archived