TrueEarth GB South P3D4.4 - Some from the Welsh coast

8 hours ago, vfr_steve said:

Great shots, although not a patch on the X-Plane 11 TE series, but still very authentic! 

That would also be my reaction. The lighting in XP really elevates the look of this scenery. On the evidence so far, it just looks more "alive" and somewhat sharper. I have the XP version but will not hesitate to get it for P3D as well. Everyone wins.

Edited by Catalysis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Catalysis said:

That would also be my reaction. The lighting in XP really elevates the look of this scenery. On the evidence so far, it just looks more "alive" and somewhat sharper. I have the XP version but will not hesitate to get it for P3D as well. Everyone wins.

Just wait till the PTA shots start rolling in...

Just a couple from testing around Welshpool, Wales.

Not using PTA, these are stock V4.4 shaders!!

EDIT: After a big of digging around it seems I was using PTA modified shaders in my main P3D ShadersHSL folder. I've toned things down a little bit since this is a bit too saturated for me.

4K at around 35-50fps

2018-12-29_15-51-53-371.jpg2018-12-29_15-50-8-411.jpg2018-12-29_15-52-1-562.jpg

I have to say the default P3Dv4.4 clouds look really, really nice!

• Like 5

I know it's totally subjective, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally I'm not a great fan of the saturated look which PTA often (always?) creates. John's shots at the top of this thread look very realistic, which is what I want to see. JV's do look rather more saturated, but still not excessively so imho.

Steps back and waits to be slammed by the PTA fans...   ;-)

OK I found out why things are so bright and saturated. In P3Dv4.4 LM have set the HDR defaults to 1.0 / 1.0 / 1.0 meaning it's a lot brighter, bloomier and saturated.

Update: I actually had PTA shaders in my main P3D ShadersHSL folder, which explains the vividness. I'll update my post above.

• Like 2

It looks like a stunning product regardless of platform and image settings (PTA or no PTA)   I like both John's muted shots and JV's more vivid caps equally... it's all good, and you can change it to taste, even B&W if you want :)

So at an hour (or more) per GB dl speed :angry: how long will this take to download?  Living in the sticks is nice, but this is a downside.

Edited by Mark Abdey
  • Like 1

Hello,

so far, around 40 hours.

I don't live in a town either and although things are now much better,

it once took me an entire seven day week to download NL 2000.

It was around 33 GB at the time and since then, I have never been

without a download manager and could probably count on the fingers

of one hand how many times a download has failed, however long it took.

• Confused 1

I think this is very much going to come down to personal taste as to which version individuals prefer. Inevitably, everyone is going to have a preference one way or the other. Seasons will be a big deal with True Earth for P3D of course.

Each sim has its merits and we should be thankful that, at last, there are three contenders to consider where we invest our Orbx dollars, as it were.

As I said earlier, I think everyone wins. There are no wrong decisions here, except maybe to not invest in the game changer that True Earth unquestionably is.

My current view is that I will be doing most of my summer GA flying in XP11 and will carry on with the tube and seasonal flying in P3DV4. I do have Aerofly FS2, which I still like to use for Swiss/Innsbruck flights. Horses for courses.

Edited by Catalysis

15 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

It looks like a stunning product regardless of platform and image settings (PTA or no PTA)   I like both John's muted shots and JV's more vivid caps equally... it's all good, and you can change it to taste, even B&W if you want :)

So at an hour (or more) per GB dl speed :angry: how long will this take to download?  Living in the sticks is nice, but this is a downside.

You're going to love this Mark, being a screenshot artist like you are.

I am on a BT vDSL 35Mb/sec connection and the current beta took me less than 2 hours to download and install. YMMV, everyone has factors determining download speed as Nick has shown above.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

so far, around 40 hours.

I don't live in a town either and although things are now much better,

it once took me an entire seven day week to download NL 2000.

It was around 33 GB at the time and since then, I have never been

without a download manager and could probably count on the fingers

of one hand how many times a download has failed, however long it took.

Yikes... cheers Nick. It's even more frustrating as there is Superfast not far away, but we are not linked into it, due to lack of surrounding properties. I may bite the bullet when released and do it in chunks overnight.

1 minute ago, John Venema said:

I know John, that's why I'm so fed-up with our so-called broadband. It takes me back to my Horizon days, but this is many-many magnitudes better.

Amazing shots B)

47 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Quick comparison In Wales again, between TrueEarth GB South (left) and FTX Wales (right). HDR off.

2018-12-29_18-43-17-698.jpg

The most notable differences are the richness of the various rock and soil colours, more shallow water details and zero repetition of textures in the TE (left) side.

I’m all in!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Catalysis said:

Spot on. Having been an avid FSX and P3D user for more years than I care to remember, the lighting, scenery and atmosphere in XP11 is second to none, and really shows in the new TE series. 

5 hours ago, vfr_steve said:

Spot on. Having been an avid FSX and P3D user for more years than I care to remember, the lighting, scenery and atmosphere in XP11 is second to none, and really shows in the new TE series. 

I must agree as I've taken a similar path. Although go back a year or two and I would say the daytime scenery in X-Plane was not to my taste at all. It's only been recently with the addition of the airport gateway, more custom city buildings and autogen and addon's like FlyTampa Corfu and now with Orbx TE series which have demonstrated the capabilities X-Plane has with scenery outside of pretty dynamic airport lighting.

17 hours ago, John Venema said:

I am on a BT vDSL 35Mb/sec connection and the current beta took me less than 2 hours to download and install. YMMV, everyone has factors determining download speed as Nick has shown above.

Funny how I live a stones throw away but the absolute maximum download speed via Central is 748kbps. I have fibre broadband mega fast. 

34 minutes ago, slipstream said:

Funny how I live a stones throw away but the absolute maximum download speed via Central is 748kbps. I have fibre broadband mega fast. 

I strongly recommend you try a VPN app to route your traffic through a different country, such as France or USA: