Welcome to KSUN Friedman Memorial Airport!

Hello all!

I'm delighted to show you Turbulent Designs' next airport, which is now entering BETA stages!

As you are probably aware, KSUN will be a P3D v4 exclusive. Although it's not a PBR project, we did take advantage of as many v4 features as possible.

Lets start with the coverage area, then I'll show you around the airport and its features.

Coverage Area

KSUN_CoverageMap.thumb.png.3235ff0f6161ac3975dbfc496788abd5.png

KSUN_Comp_02.thumb.jpg.32261e5e37e507803c5068cff483bf90.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_11.thumb.jpg.fb8c81f152b6371d51628b24e6a13a94.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_10.thumb.jpg.cda6cd6ce91f8f00d652c114d16b603c.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_12.thumb.jpg.e4faecce084e7586448d2a1d7e6de825.jpg

Beautifully edited and colour matched by Greg Jones, Friedman Memorial Airport includes 715km2 of 60cm per pixel photoreal for the airport and valley. This mountainous area also includes 1ID5 Lukes Wood River Medical Center Heliport for those wanting to take a little more time to explore the valley.

Buildings and Vegetation

KSUN_Screenshot_02.thumb.jpg.82b1c27941b55289bf655b767b4d14d5.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_03.thumb.jpg.b0a1c2d7a02f97bf8aa6b97cb51555ff.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_32.thumb.jpg.2a8c6827a670ffbb0c894a1b4b2be656.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_21.thumb.jpg.222e1a07f8c46b532c7c992f1773a9d0.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_20.thumb.jpg.7c95e40f444427b42a54f046ac5b439e.jpg

KSUN will feature buildings and vegetation textured by Russ White in high definition and stunning detail.

As attention to detail is key, we like to treat every airport area as a feature area, built with exploration in mind. Not only will the airport look stunning from your aircraft, but it will look even better up close and personal. We recommend everyone have a wander around!

Airport Terrain Model

KSUN_Screenshot_07.thumb.jpg.3984d0ed3ac09d1c4e8c7043e7ac7a24.jpg

KSUN_Comp_01.thumb.jpg.74365fdbb63ff586b6995351b7f249ff.jpg

KSUN also features dynamic season textures using v4 native scripting.

KSUN_Screenshot_09.thumb.jpg.126f4c7794c76aab70e72f146fea4a58.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_08.thumb.jpg.7a966bcc3dcb67ade6e1c50b1c96bed5.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_05.thumb.jpg.557352108deff57e619a21bbf78c0c53.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_06.thumb.jpg.7056078523f1d23aa2769b11ed29ddd2.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_34.thumb.jpg.b8c8ca6cbe87d6a1209a4a2d36b108a0.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_17.thumb.jpg.f1b5815ff5b818c5d1d749e112bcb627.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_33.thumb.jpg.1472ca501f0f502b3f22731bec4aa76d.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_13.thumb.jpg.2fe10896d16cba14c397895b2f476b26.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_35.thumb.jpg.7c19d3a3b6dd7286220b935045f88e48.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_19.thumb.jpg.27a59fd97c195505caaad2820cefc184.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_18.thumb.jpg.41ec65e56142db7a8853fc64d93359b6.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_36.thumb.jpg.593d5d6e8d43e2b68ba11c18406a34ab.jpg

Modelled and textured by myself, the airport terrain is where most of the new features are located.

We opted to model the entire airport area as a mesh, giving us the opportunity to create a sloped runway, different levels in terrain, an insane amount of detail with some cool weather and lighting effects. Effects include realistic oil, reflective puddles during the winter and rain, icy runways and taxiways during snow and even the reflections of lights in puddles at night time.

Custom Buildings

KSUN_Screenshot_23.thumb.jpg.881e4ee84bbecc56808aa27893d312bc.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_24.thumb.jpg.45158df0e890a6d4b3a7fff3ed2995ab.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_37.thumb.jpg.8aa5b5eb421934b5734eeeecec4cd6d0.jpg

As always, we also like to include our custom modelled buildings for a nice buffer between the airport and autogen. All of the custom buildings are highly detailed with plenty of variation, giving those urban and industrial areas a nice natural look!

Here are a few more screenshots:

KSUN_Screenshot_04.thumb.jpg.673bf327721d40214669f66d53dbc30b.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_30.thumb.jpg.8bb895a00a125d3d6c406cf796518e1d.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_31.thumb.jpg.01d3c45c8a08d71d6911cbc67d4cb31e.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_22.thumb.jpg.bead6dacead1d1a35e96b504a7bc1e71.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_14.thumb.jpg.e690f1f1bebc2e9439cf7fcedd2487de.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_28.thumb.jpg.1af81bfbd8ee8ec6971020424a815a98.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_15.thumb.jpg.577db19a99ab548d106265e455c06d12.jpg

KSUN_Screenshot_25.thumb.jpg.c0cbc90f33e9de8a8b7f9181a2c213b8.jpg

KSUN Friedman Memorial Airport will soon be available to purchase from OrbxDirect for AUD $32.95 (approx. USD $24.35 / €21 / £18.50)

We really hope you enjoyed the preview. KSUN will be with you very soon!

Thanks,
Turbulent Designs

30 minutes ago, Russell Linn said:

Thanks,
Turbulent Designs

Hi Russel,

Too funny - I just mentioned your KSUN project like an hour ago in another post here - and poof - here it is... Coincidence ?

Looks absolutely stunning and I've been flying into the ORBX Freeware (Unsung Heroes) version for years... I was wondering when someone was going to this this resort destination... For me - I find resort locations - and the immersion it brings thinking about going to them - brings more to the sim...

Please consider something East if the Mississippi for a future project... I know you did Saginaw - but it's a pretty obscure airport to compare sales figures with major resort destinations out west... 

:)

I'm in on KSUN...

Regards,
Scott

Looks exceedingly promising. 

In the Building & Vegetation section, second shot, it looks to me to have shingle & sand that is not 1 dimensional, ie, it has depth, a bit like the piled snow we are starting to see, eg,  in Kiruna.

Is that the case? It certainly adds realism to the shot.

A definite purchase as Idaho offers a lot of flying opportunities  & you have a spectacular level of detail coming through in your preview shots.

TTM

I see Turbulent still uses these huge light blobs for runway lighting. I'm sorry but that is just not realistic at all :( There's plenty of realistic looking runway lighting available at other ORBX airports, why can't ORBX share the good stuff between their developers?

That being said, all the rest of the scenery looks absolutely fantastic!

Outstanding, I've been using this airport for years because of its unique instrument approach..  This is the only airport in the lower 48 or Alaska with an NDB/DME approach available to the public.  Making an IFR approach will certainly lead to remarkable scenery at the missed approach point,  assuming you break out of the weather.  

Cheers   (Ken Cheers)

54 minutes ago, Bailout7734 said:

Outstanding, I've been using this airport for years because of its unique instrument approach..  This is the only airport in the lower 48 or Alaska with an NDB/DME approach available to the public.  Making an IFR approach will certainly lead to remarkable scenery at the missed approach point,  assuming you break out of the weather.  

Cheers   (Ken Cheers)

Hi Ken,

Funny you should mention that - my last approach was in a Lear 35A from Centennial - I knew we had bad weather coming in from the west but I was racing the storm with the Lear... The storm won - flew it to minimums - had to go missed and divert - exciting flight though... Went back to Pocatello to wait it out...

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, mburkhard said:

I see Turbulent still uses these huge light blobs for runway lighting. I'm sorry but that is just not realistic at all :( There's plenty of realistic looking runway lighting available at other ORBX airports, why can't ORBX share the good stuff between their developers?

That being said, all the rest of the scenery looks absolutely fantastic!

The runway lighting is different to our previous airports as they're using effects and not crossplanes. Which screenshot concerns you about the lighting?

Runway light effects are bigger the further you get, as they need to be seen from a long distance. Any smaller and they're not visible.

Please note that during dawn/dusk, light mapped effects are incredibly exaggerated and appear brighter in P3D. I can take more screenshots at night time a bit later on.

Thanks,
Russ

It would be great, if the Autogen of the photo scenery would go a bit beyond the photo scenery area for those who use a photo scenery like Megascenery or Bluesky. If the Autogen doesn‘t go up to the border of the tile then there is an Autogen free area until the next tile starts. In the Autogen annotator the tile borders can easily be seen...

Thank you

Christian

38 minutes ago, shasta62 said:

It would be great, if the Autogen of the photo scenery would go a bit beyond the photo scenery area for those who use a photo scenery like Megascenery or Bluesky. If the Autogen doesn‘t go up to the border of the tile then there is an Autogen free area until the next tile starts. In the Autogen annotator the tile borders can easily be seen...

Thank you

Christian

Hi Christian,

It's a nice idea but unfortunately that annotation system doesn't support that kind of function. Any annotation we do is linked with the scenery BGLs we create. Once the system reads the boundary of that file, it stops placing autogen. Even if we added it (and we usually do add a bit extra just to be sure), it simply won't show up regardless of what other product you have installed under it. The only way to acheive what your suggesting is to annotate the MSE or BS tiles themselves.

Cheers,

Greg

4 hours ago, Russell Linn said:

The runway lighting is different to our previous airports as they're using effects and not crossplanes. Which screenshot concerns you about the lighting?

Hi Russ,

thanks for getting back to me, highly appreciated.

It's the second last screenshot that bothers me most. The runway light size of the first RWY light we can see from the right (the one next to the taxiway) is fine. But after that the size is increased rapidly with more distance, to an unrealistic size 3 rows further down the runway and beyond.

Perhaps it would be possible to delay that transition to the bigger effect size by lets say one or two RWY lengths? Just so that being positioned on the runway never shows the bigger sized lights visible on that second last screenshot?

Don't get me wrong, I've got no intention of being a pain in the ass, I'm no expert on scenery design. I just know how runway lights look like in reality and that most other high quality developers out there (including other ORBX members) have RWY lights sized more realistically, both close up and at 8nm distance. If you'd like I can point out another ORBX airport with realistically sized RWY lights, so that you can get together with that developer and compare techniques? 

Thanks,
Markus

I've spent may years of my life in that valley, and return several times a year as I have family there.   May I strongly suggest you expand the coverage area further to the north to include the towns of Ketchum and Sun Valley as well as the Bald Mt Ski area.  KSUN feeds the Sun Valley Resort and town of Ketchum as well as Hailey itself. 

As with your KTEX, KJAC and KEGE airports, the local town and ski areas are a BIG part of the scenery.  You also have the Boulder and Pioneer Mountain ranges just outside of town (Ketchum/Sun Valley) that would be a great addition to those modeled in KTEX,KJAC and KEGE.

15 hours ago, mburkhard said:

Hi Russ,

It's the second last screenshot that bothers me most. The runway light size of the first RWY light we can see from the right (the one next to the taxiway) is fine. But after that the size is increased rapidly with more distance, to an unrealistic size 3 rows further down the runway and beyond.

Perhaps it would be possible to delay that transition to the bigger effect size by lets say one or two RWY lengths? Just so that being positioned on the runway never shows the bigger sized lights visible on that second last screenshot?

Don't get me wrong, I've got no intention of being a pain in the ass, I'm no expert on scenery design. I just know how runway lights look like in reality and that most other high quality developers out there (including other ORBX members) have RWY lights sized more realistically, both close up and at 8nm distance. If you'd like I can point out another ORBX airport with realistically sized RWY lights, so that you can get together with that developer and compare techniques? 

Thanks,
Markus

If it's just the distance that they're becoming bigger, I'm sure there's a few things I can play around with. To be honest, I've just had a bit of an idea, haha!

Thanks,
Russ

May I make a request?

Could the GA hangars get a color tweak?

Half of the GA hangars are actually green.

I'm a bit personally vested in the idea here, as one of them is mine in real life.  :D

You can see them here - the sat photo coloration is off - it's close to a forest green - a touch lighter.

Very noticeable in person - the Sat photo makes it seem very close in color to the others, and it really isn't at all.

TCbM4IK.jpg

19 hours ago, turbineseaplane said:

May I make a request?

I'm a bit personally vested in the idea here, as one of them is mine in real life.  :D

You can see them here - the sat photo coloration is off - it's close to a forest green - a touch lighter.

Very noticeable in person - the Sat photo makes it seem very close in color to the others, and it really isn't at all.

TCbM4IK.jpg

Hi

Could you clarify what you mean??:)

Do you mean the roofs from a top down view are green?, or the whole hangar, [ext. walls etc?]

If I look at your pic & count roofs from the bottom right, that look like hangars, I get 8 roofs.

The bottom most on my Laptop screen is offwhite with grey at the left hand end.

The one above is a bleached olivey green with off white at the RH end.

Next above is a faded silver grey.

Above that, the bleached olive again.

The next 3 are a faded grey & the top one is a faded silver.

Which ones should be Green? - the bottom 4?

Roof only or whole structure?

TTM

On 12/22/2018 at 5:10 PM, turbineseaplane said:

May I make a request?

TCbM4IK.jpg

Hey there!

Greg is hard at work doing this :)

Thanks,
Russ

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, briansommers said:

I'm in on this one.

I wish you folks would do: payware versions of KBOI, KMSO, KHLN

I agree Brian.  I own many of the awesome airports from the mid-west to east coast all the way to Florida but I seldom fly there because I really enjoy flying in mountainous country as opposed to flat country.  Full disclosure, I live in MT so my opinion may differ from others.  haha.  

On 12/22/2018 at 12:29 AM, mburkhard said:

Hi Russ,

Thanks,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Just an FYI, this has now been fixed. You'll be seeing the changes soon, so I hope you like.

Thanks,
Russ

6 hours ago, Russell Linn said:

Just an FYI, this has now been fixed. You'll be seeing the changes soon, so I hope you like.

Glad to hear that Russ, thanks for not forgetting about this! I look forward to seeing the results.

Markus

Archived