Cassowary land

Stillwater

For this little daytrip we take off from Cairns in northerly direction, ...

21Chvtl.jpg

... follow the Kuranda coast, ...

XvroFSi.jpg

... until we reach the village of Mossman (right). Mossman Gorge (left) should be worth a detour for a little hike. https://www.mossmangorge.com.au/

n3olgja.jpg

But not in the plane: We head further north towards Daintree River, which can only be crossed by a ferry. In real life, I mean: In the sim this is already solidified to a bridge.

hSQZI96.jpg

Some minutes later the road ends at Cape Tribulation. One of Captain James Cooks tours ended here as well, and unpleasantly, this is why he gave this cape the name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Tribulation,_Queensland

SFdgbKu.jpg

The wilderness below belongs to Daintree NP, which is home to the rare species of the Cassowary. A bird who, in contrast to us, knows that he is not able to fly.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_cassowary 

4V2mnWL.jpg

Here we head back south over the river again. A number of local animal-watching tours are offered here, like http://www.crocodileexpress.com/home---crocodile-express-daintree-river-cruises

Jby7zIt.jpg

AZYjHEo.jpg

Unfortunately there is no suitable airstrip for us, so we go on to Port Douglas, ...

SAnxlJ5.jpg

Qf2S5RO.jpg

... and back into Cairns again.

hxFEWNg.jpg

PS: Good to see my AS16 working & communicating again.

A great tour and narration Gerold.

With Crocs and Cassowaries around you are recommended to stay in your plane.:huh:

One if the world's largest birds, it can easily kill with it's dagger like middle claw and we all know about the Saltie's demeanour.:ph34r:

Fantastic tour and shots Gerold , normally you include RL photo's if you have been in this area . I assume you have not and judging by Martyn's post , maybe don't venture to far from Cairns . :):(:o

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

A great tour and narration Gerold.

With Crocs and Cassowaries around you are recommended to stay in your plane.:huh:

One if the world's largest birds, it can easily kill with it's dagger like middle claw and we all know about the Saltie's demeanour.:ph34r:

Thank you Martyn, for commenting & your safety recommendation. One has to be aware of nature´s beauties before he starts travelling up there... :blink:

43 minutes ago, BradB said:

Fantastic tour and shots Gerold , normally you include RL photo's if you have been in this area . I assume you have not and judging by Martyn's post , maybe don't venture to far from Cairns . :):(:o

Cheers

John

You´ll get the real life photos here next year, John. Maybe not of all possible inhabitants of the area, but some plants & rocks at least...

6 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots great trip Gerold. I was told them crocs taste like chicken and make awesome Cowboy boots.:ph34r::P:lol:

Thank you Karl. I know they taste quite well (all muscles, isn´t it?), but I have never seen them making boots :D

23 minutes ago, andrew22222 said:

Hey I'm driving up to Cooktown & Port Douglas with my Wife for Christmas / NYE. If we see any Crocs and Cassowaries will upload some pics to add to your excellent aerial tour. 

That sounds amazing, Andrew! You lucky one... enjoy christmas and your tour, and beware of the dangers described by Martyn @VH-KDK above.

At least I would be more than happy to see some real life photos added by you to this post :rollmyeyes:.

9 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Real marvy bunch of shots!! Always good to practice instrument approaches in the clear weather!

You have seen it :)... a bit of a tricky approach as there was a strong sea breeze...

On 12/18/2018 at 10:55 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Nice travelogue. The scenery looks interesting to fly, and you chose just the right plane to fly it. Thanks!

Oh yes Rodger, it was really a nice area to fly. 2500-3500 ft were a good altitude to offer nice perspectives as well. And p3d stays crisp, sharp and nicely lightened throughout the action.

23 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was more of your excellence Gerold!  I never knew all this and love it!

I learned a lot as well when I was composing this post. And when reading Martyns comments... My pleasure!

15 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

12 hours ago, RichardLouis said:

A great set. I like !

Richard

(A nice repaint).

Thanks Richard. I like this repaint since the "ancient" FSX / OZx days... - a big thanks for the man who created it, hiding behind the names "Ricardo" / "Richard LUYCX"  ;)

21 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Matey you have done it again!  Marvelous shots of great scenery, one of my favourite 'planes and as you say an excellent paint!

Thank you TT. As I said above, I like to do such trips after berfore or instead of real travel - it just gives a nice impression of the area to me.

Archived