ORBX 2019 ROADMAP (231 SCREENSHOTS!)

Leaving GB incomplete was not in the original roadmap. Completing it, moving attention to PNW, before returning to European countries was.
It would be a massive kick in the teeth for P3D users to have a country left unfinished.

Yes, this is what I would not want to see. TrueEarth GB South makes a massive difference to my enjoyment when flying around the southern half of England and Wales, so I would be extremely disappointed if I had to wait another year for GB Central. Of course, I would also prefer to see Scotland completed after that, but at least with GB Central I could finally say farewell to all three of my existing photoscenery volumes of England and Wales. They have served me very well over many years, but they have now been overtaken by far superior tech.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, F737NG said:

As Michael said above, TE Netherlands (the original proof of concept) works well in P3D. I have a lot of praise for that product, as I will for TE GB once it has been optimised and been given its updates.

I think we have to be careful with the question what the proof of concept was. It was a proof of concept for P3D but it was based on a free or donationware workflow from X-Plane.Tony had been working on improvements on his consept for years, but such things are a bit too big for freeware. But when he became a part of OrbX after he had rescued the Meigs Field Scenery for X-Plane, he had his conepts.I think his proof of Concept was in fact the Barton Scenery. OrbX had the guarantee that they would get at least get an additional X-Plane airport and Tony had the chance to demonstrate the power of his concept by implementing Manchester. And I think this is the real problem behind it.

The core of the TrueEarth group is strongly attached to X-Plane. They don't really have so much knowledge about P3D. Now it is simply more effective to let them do their thing. The people with the peak knowledge about P3D will also have other projects outside TrueEarth. When they worked for TrueEarth Australia V2 and Africa were on hold. Now these projects have started again and TrueEarth will be developed by the UK group. They will have to start their own P3D workflow and probably improve the automatic conversion techniques a bit further. This takes time at the moment, but in the future this will probably in a much faster and better conversion for P3D and AFS2. And at the same time they will also get additions that P3D can now use too, like PBR AutoGen buildings.

7 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Perhaps upcoming P3D versions will improve on some of those aspects.

I really hope so... While I can achieve acceptable performance (with some compromises, of course) by using reasonable settings, there's really nothing I can do about the loading times.

6 hours ago, pmb said:

You may have a point here, but there is another aspect. TE GB was developed natively for X-Plane and optimally adapted to that platform from the outset. It was later transferred to Prepar3d, and there may be much room for optimisation in this process yet. Have a look at TE NL which was natively developed for Prepar3d and works pretty well, at least on my system (which is not in Kevin's leage).

Absolutely, but part of the reason for that was the fact that XP is better suited to this kind of scenery. I'm sure the team are working hard on the optimizations, but there are limits to what can be achieved, especially in terms of autogen. At the same time, it is entirely possible that JV's next preview post will put all my concerns to rest, so I remain (cautiously) optimistic.

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

XP is more popular on the screenshot forum because TE GB is complete. How many shots are of the, as yet unreleased in P3D, TE GB Central and North products? Therefore, I don't think that it's a balanced comparison. Also, the lighting in XP also lends to overall more impressive screenshots.

I agree that this (plus the general excitement for the 'new' platform) may result in a slightly skewed perception. After all, only the Orbx team know the actual figures on TE sales for P3D and XP... :footmouth: I guess we'll have to wait and see what TE GB SP1 brings. I was hoping the P3D announcement would come on Monday along with the XP previews, but it looks like we need to be patient for a few more days... ;)

Whilst much of the speculation and conjecture is partly correct, we do intend to release the P3D versions of TE GB Central and North well before the end of the year. As I have previously said, the TE core development platform is led by Tony on XP11 but the process will move a lot close to P3D within 12 months. In the meantime we hope that P3Dv4.5 will resolve load-time issues and further enhance the handling of large photoreal areas, while we also work to optimise GB South.

The leader of this P3D porting effort has been secured and he has extensive prior experience with Orbx, being a project co-leader for five FTX regions for P3D, and more recently has released products for FSX, P3D, AFS2 and XP11. This cross-platform experience will be paramount.  However, for reasons I am not at liberty to share he cannot start full-time until later in the year although he’ll be spending time with the P3D core regions team during an extensive planning session and knowledge transfer workshop this summer in the UK.

4 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Whilst much of the speculation and conjecture is partly correct, we do intend to release the P3D versions of TE GB Central and North well before the end of the year. As I have previously said, the TE core development platform is led by Tony on XP11 but the process will move a lot close to P3D within 12 months. In the meantime we hope that P3Dv4.5 will resolve load-time issues and further enhance the handling of large photoreal areas, while we also work to optimise GB South.

The leader of this P3D porting effort has been secured and he has extensive prior experience with Orbx, being a project co-leader for five FTX regions for P3D, and more recently has released products for FSX, P3D, AFS2 and XP11. This cross-platform experience will be paramount.  However, for reasons I am not at liberty to share he cannot start full-time until later in the year although he’ll be spending time with the P3D core regions team during an extensive planning session and knowledge transfer workshop this summer in the UK.

Excellent news John thankyou :)

42 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Whilst much of the speculation and conjecture is partly correct, we do intend to release the P3D versions of TE GB Central and North well before the end of the year. 

[...]

However, for reasons I am not at liberty to share he cannot start full-time until later in the year although he’ll be spending time with the P3D core regions team during an extensive planning session and knowledge transfer workshop this summer in the UK.

Thanks for the update and allaying some concerns.

Going beyond the norm by explaining the behind the scenes activities is unexpected, but also highly appreciated.

Back to excitedly awaiting the eventual releases of Aus v2 & Africa.

Very much looking forward to OrbX applying their TE scenery upgrades to the rest of the world for X-Plane 11.32. Some of the present Laminar default scenery for the States for example is ok, but sadly, flying over large swathes of the open plains is not good eye candy with very bland scenery consisting of large quantities of repeated scenery sections for thousands of square miles. These 'repeated' scenery sections are also prevalent in northern Europe (and elsewhere throughout the planet) and so it would be great to see the TE touch applied to that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 10:28 PM, John Venema said:

Many thanks for the informative update JV and the good news on TE GB C and N. Getting away from the hot air over London should improve performance for many but having invested in a new system i am more than happy with the performance.

i think that sometimes we expect Ferrari performance from a clapped out Ford, if only!

• 2 weeks later...

@John Venema I just noticed the pics of an enhanced YFLI, the terminal appears very different to its current state. I believe that it underwent a real-world upgrade at some point to a more modern terminal. Just thought I'd mention it and that a small freeware developer by the name of FatCat Scenery has done quite a nice upgrade of the field... Maybe worth looking into?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jalbrech said:

Pretty sure Orbx mentioned , Africa and Aus v2 where pushed back from the original release guideline because of the True earth releases . Wont be long I wouldn't think now . Saying that would be better finished than adding patches later IMO .

Impatiently waiting patiently :D

Although I love to see North Texas getting some recognition by the ORBX team I would very much appreciate to have an ORBX rendition of KDFW (I have a little bias, its my home airport :D). I haven't seen any decent KDFW sceneries since FSDT (Of which is a little dated in my opinion) which is a shame as KDFW sits with the likes of KORD and KLAX in being one of the busiest airports in the US.

Is it me, or is one of the largest countries in Europe being more or less ignored for P3D? France is not just "the Riviera"... One spectacular example of great scenery would be Corsica... There's also Bordeaux... Paris... etc. Italy is ALSO not limited to Sardinia. I'm curious about how ORBX determines its priorities? Wishlists, or serious statistics? Thanks.

1 hour ago, marciac18 said:

Is it me, or is one of the largest countries in Europe being more or less ignored for P3D? France is not just "the Riviera"... One spectacular example of great scenery would be Corsica... There's also Bordeaux... Paris... etc. Italy is ALSO not limited to Sardinia. I'm curious about how ORBX determines its priorities? Wishlists, or serious statistics? Thanks.

While I would *love* an ORBX France, we can't deny the fact there has been a competitor in this country for years which would inevitably subtract from the potential ORBX sales.

Italy is another story and given its geographic variety, countless POIs, and already offered airports would certainly be a rewarding object.

Kind regards, Michael

On 1/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, John Venema said:

We will have our own high quality PBR-enabled cityscapes included in our TE regions which will replace and supersede any other products. We have over 800 POI 3D models (all with PBR) planned for Washington alone. The same applies for the other North American TE regions, which will all come with many PBR cityscapes:

PNW Washington - Seattle, Bellevue, Everett, Tacoma, Olympia, Spokane, Victoria BC

PNW Oregon - Portland, Eugene

PNW British Columbia - Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, Nanaimo

Northern California - San Francisco, Alameda, Silicon Valley, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento 

Southern California - Los Angeles, Hollywood, San Diego, Santa Maria, Long Beach

Hi

I know John has spoken before about putting Vancouver / BC - Canada TE area on hold due to the expensive costs involved. I’m just wondering wether since Victoria BC is included in TE Washington series, should we expect Victoria and/or Nanaimo to be included in the up coming release of True Earth Washington as the coverage map shows them included.

Thanks

On 5/16/2019 at 5:05 AM, pmb said:

While I would *love* an ORBX France, we can't deny the fact there has been a competitor in this country for years which would inevitably subtract from the potential ORBX sales.

Italy is another story and given its geographic variety, countless POIs, and already offered airports would certainly be a rewarding object.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree but their products are not compatible with Orbx

They cause a mess because of the autogen, thus is like they don't exist

I tried installed it three times as I didn't wanted to throw my money away and because I love Paris but every time was worst than the other.

I have them zipped.

We need compatible stuff is not created by Orbx

Can you imagine Paris Cityscene? :wub:

Italy as a region :wub:

9 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I agree but their products are not compatible with Orbx

They cause a mess because of the autogen, thus is like they don't exist

I tried installed it three times as I didn't wanted to throw my money away and because I love Paris but every time was worst than the other.

I have them zipped.

We need compatible stuff is not created by Orbx

Can you imagine Paris Cityscene? :wub:

Italy as a region :wub:

It can be made to work together..its just a matter of autogen description files.  You can use P3D4 (see sdk for how to specify extra autogen files) or arno's ACM (google it) for previous versions of P3D or FSX

Hi Kevin & Micheal

Thank you for your reply

But how you made it?

I also had the ACM and didn't work for me. I always caused a mess

I'll try again as I really want this city in my sim

If I don't make it, may I reach either one for help?

Thanks

Carlos

There are several recipes, including some by Kevin at AVSIM and here in the ORBX forum. If memory serves me right  (that was for P3D 4.0, two years ago...) I used the following one

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=80410 (use Google translate to translate it)

which still works for me. In any case, don't forget to make backups!

I have ACM called by SimStarter in the background so it works completely hidden (except a very quick popup) .

Kind regards, Michael

4 minutes ago, pmb said:

There are several recipes, including some by Kevin at AVSIM and here in the ORBX forum. If memory serves me right  (that was for P3D 4.0, two years ago...) I used the following one

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=80410 (use Google translate to translate it)

which still works for me. In any case, don't forget to make backups!

I have ACM called by SimStarter in the background so it works completely hidden (except a very quick popup) .

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks a lot Michael

No worries with the language, I speak French

I'll see how well I do this time

Best regards,

Carlos

JV

I have been with you since your "day one" so to speak at a time at 72 that I had to give up my PPL

- and worked my way through the V' phase - The Green - Gold   Blue -  and Red scenarios via FSS

Being colour blind - I never had a Class 4 license so I was always VFR - all over OZ - NZ - and the UK -

mostly in  my own Arrow and  PA 32 300.    Thanks to FTX - I was able to partly fulfill my love for the last 11 years.

Always being VFR - my original flight planning was with the use of WAC and VFR charts -but life with MFS had to be done without them.

Is there any chance that you might take a look in the not to distant future - for your Aussie customers - to produce a payware system of

flight planning with all the charts for use with the new VR 2 Australia as an add on. I realise that official charts are copyright - but with Google Maps maybe 

there could be a way round the problem.

Your opening remarks included - "Next year we will completely drop the "FTX" tag from our products, website, apps and documentation. FTX was an acronym based on the original 2007 product line "Full Terrain Experience" and whilst we still endeavour to bring you  -"""

Maybe that's the reason when I recently returned to "Simflying"  In trying to sign in with my original FTX wouldn't work

and I had to have a new Orbx account:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, antonvs said:

Hi John, are you aware of Alex’s great freeware map - LittleNavMap. Gives you all you need for VFR as well as IFR 

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

Hi Anton - No I wasn't aware of this   - but it looks a little more than I was looking for 

- and a little too much for my 84 YO VFR only brain

but I will download for a look see

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived