With Q-Link from the Rocks to the Reef

Stillwater

Qantas flight QF1948 was ready for boarding in Alice Springs. Which took some time, because the paxes were doing nothing but sweating.

p9AhcKp.jpg

Finally the aircondition was started and the cargo was taking their seats. Soon we were acellerating, ...

5t8mg4l.jpg

... looked back to the airport ...

xLmcxlP.jpg

... and Alice Springs just north of the Ranges.

60KlPFL.jpg

37 kft over the outback.

mryPGUm.jpg

Near Mt. Isa the landscape was getting greener (to my surprise).

9wGUX0R.jpg

The Pacific ahead.

IJAcgq3.jpg

Descending downwind over Lake Tinaroo, you can see Cairns to the right. As my ATC assigned descend a little late, I had to use the speed brakes extensively...

V3EMBGq.jpg

City view.

MVlPEqg.jpg

Turning into final towards the 15.

ACpg7HP.jpg

Fully established to land...

trNQhll.jpg

... and here we were.

JqjWZkf.jpg

Pulling the brakes.

hdSqcHU.jpg

And soon the honoured guests left the plane.

InJlLrm.jpg

23 hours ago, BradB said:

You have linked together a fine set of shots Gerold . :D:)

Cheers

John

I booked the missing link as good as I could, John ;).

21 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

These are fantastic Gerold!

Thank you Jack!

17 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Whatever the knack is, you've got it. Always a great set with a great narrative. This is no exception. Thanks!

What a compliment, Rodger. This is just a pre-flight of what my family will do next year, expect some comparisons afterwards...

12 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing shots these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

12 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Excellent mate!

Thank you TT, sorry for showing only traces of OZx today...

16 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A very enjoyable flight Gerold.

WOnderful images and narration.:)

At least we don´t need to fly JetStar on this leg next year. I tried to follow your advise...:D

A-OK set of shots Gerold! It's a sim issue that ATC does not give you descend clearance early enough. Probably those algorithms were not meant for jet aircraft but rather for the small to medium sized planes. In reality, pilot's often request a descend at pilot's discretion, which allows them to start the descend whenever they want. They usually do this to stay at altitude longer to save fuel and profit from the tailwinds. Maybe that was the case on your flight ;)

20 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

A-OK set of shots Gerold! It's a sim issue that ATC does not give you descend clearance early enough. Probably those algorithms were not meant for jet aircraft but rather for the small to medium sized planes. In reality, pilot's often request a descend at pilot's discretion, which allows them to start the descend whenever they want. They usually do this to stay at altitude longer to save fuel and profit from the tailwinds. Maybe that was the case on your flight ;)

Thank you for your comment, Bermuda. I think the belayed descent came from the disconnection in the flight plan: They had assigned an RNAV approach with a vector transition, so all altitude indications in the PFD were a bit misleading. When unable to capture LOC and G/S I switched to manual, did a sporty descend and - voila. Cleaning of the cabin took a bit longer afterwards, but that does not go onto my "flight delay" account >:D.

16 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

From hot and dry to hot and moist. Fabulous set of shots, Gerold, and your landing seems to have gone well, too. I think I missed the part where you were going from Sydney to the Northern Territory, though. :(

Thank you Lars, and welcome back! The missing links are:

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you for your comment, Bermuda. I think the belayed descent came from the disconnection in the flight plan: They had assigned an RNAV approach with a vector transition, so all altitude indications in the PFD were a bit misleading. When unable to capture LOC and G/S I switched to manual, did a sporty descend and - voila. Cleaning of the cabin took a bit longer afterwards, but that does not go onto my "flight delay" account >:D.

Thank you Lars, and welcome back! The missing links are:

Thank you Gerold, I just realized I had already read "Travelling continues". However, I had missed out on "The official scenic tour". Cheers!

Archived