Favourite Airports - Orbx of course

John York

It is a definitely pretty around there, but every time I’ve been there, it’s been over 120F. HOT!!!

If I was forced to pick a favorite, I’d probably choose KORS. I love the Pacific Northwest, and in my opinion, the San Juan Islands are the jewel of the PNW. 

7 hours ago, Chunk said:

It is a definitely pretty around there, but every time I’ve been there, it’s been over 120F. HOT!!!

If I was forced to pick a favorite, I’d probably choose KORS. I love the Pacific Northwest, and in my opinion, the San Juan Islands are the jewel of the PNW. 

That's hell !! wow too hot for my taste

Interesting about Orcas, I don't have it yet.

How curious, islands with Spanish names too up North, San Juan and Lopez ...

15 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

One airport? For its accessibility to many different kinds of scenery, and for the quality of the airport itself, I have to stick with my "home" airport, KSFF Felts Field in Spokane, WA USA. But I'd hate to have to be limited to just the one. Wherever ORBX goes, that's a good airport!

You're absolutely right, Rodger.  I love Felts Field too. And Bowerman. And Block Island.  There are so many, and they're all great! So much to enjoy in ORBX land. And we are fortunate to be able to enjoy these without insanely hot (or cold) temperatures.

Flown from Palm Springs toKeGB Eagle Co Regional this afternoon.  Nice flight over some magnificent scenery in decent weather for a change.  I was hoping for an ILS landing.  No such luck.  Got Runway 7 and flying the Phenom 300 doesn't make for easy manual landings over the hills and into the valley.  Got it down ok and was given a parking spot but, as usual, couldn't find it so I just parked near some cars to the right of the terminal.  Luckily, with the flight simulator there's no-one there to give you a rollicking!

Its a lovely place though.  Wouldn't want to live there.  Too isolated for me.

Flying in the Western U.S. involves a LOT of mountain flying, and thus always challenging.  Try Kern Valley, (L05), for example.   It's in a valley at 2600 ft elevation, surrounded by mountains at over 8000 ft.  Have to lose a lot of altitude in a small space.  Challenging in the Mooney Bravo, won't be possible in the Phenom.  Besides, the runway is only 3000 ft. x 50 ft.  Another beautiful and challenging ORBX airport, but typical of the mountainous west, which ORBX does so well!

Ken

Carlo:  much of the west coast of the USA was known to the Spanish long before the English.  Look at all the Spanish names, and today the mission buildings are important parts of the landscape.  But as the Conquistadors did not come this far north it was missions to Indian settlements rather than colonies.  But from San Diego in the south to the San Juan Islands near present-day Vancouver the Spanish explorers roved widely.

20 hours ago, macca22au said:

Carlo:  much of the west coast of the USA was known to the Spanish long before the English.  Look at all the Spanish names, and today the mission buildings are important parts of the landscape.  But as the Conquistadors did not come this far north it was missions to Indian settlements rather than colonies.  But from San Diego in the south to the San Juan Islands near present-day Vancouver the Spanish explorers roved widely.

Hi

Yes, I know all the states that were Mexican before but I thought they didn't go up than California but your explanation clears it up. Thanks Macca

JohnY I am sure you would find Palm Springs far too hot in summer, mercilessly so, and surprisingly cold, wind and frost not snow, in winter.  It does not have the equable climate of the UK, which of course is lousy all the time.

Not sure about that Ian.  Having served in Malaya; hot (120 in shade),  humid, wet, I think I could put up with the heat and certainly the cold.  No , I supect the only real problem would be money.  Isn't it always?!

• 2 months later...

The bush strips Orbx included with AYPY along the Kokoda trail. Absolutely amazing to me. In real life of course it wouldn't be as much fun what with passengers screaming while I gibbered like a monkey because I'm not a real pilot.

As to Palm Springs I remember it was quite hot late August(but its a dry heat).   My wife  took the gondola up the mountain while I was working; halfway up some woman from MA started screaming they were all going to die.

I've never been back to CA.

Archived