IFR flying, the outback way

Stillwater

We asked for the safest way to fly from Yulara / Ayers Rock airport to Kings Creek, and the guy in the ATC told me "Follow A4 to the east. At the first road crossing turn left. Kings Creek will be the first airstrip to your left." That sounded to be a short hop, Just take the next one left and we´re there!
So here we went from YAYE, having the famous rock formations in sight...

DUuhTgZ.jpg

lAd1BnM.jpg

... and following Lasseter Highway.

prvKsvF.jpg

From Curtin Springs (at the end of these two little blind roads - missing in the sim just like the airstrip) the traveller can see Mount Connor, "Fooluru" as some say because it is often mixed up with the more famous rock some 50 miles west.

jy5m5Al.jpg

Hmm, the way is longer than expected: The predicted "first road crossing" came only after 60 miles... but now we are following Luritja Road northwards, passing Angas Downs (settlement and airstrip also missing below us).

jxcQADW.jpg

Wallara Ranch should be here. 60 miles since the crossroad, and the road goes on...

1HxfDBM.jpg

I should have asked for a map instead of flying "IFR". The penguin could have flown a shortcut...

FVMKxL6.jpg

Finally we could see it! Left of the road, as said: Kings Creek Cattle Station.

7CTGkUl.jpg

Beautifully OZx-ed as so many of these bushstrips. With the obvious tree in the approach...

NNUv1HT.jpg

29°C (in the shadow). Means some upwinds from the hot sand kept me gliding.

EjVvaXa.jpg

And here we are. Ready for a cold one.

7IhTjxZ.jpg

A great story and flight Gerold.

You have yet to learn that local directions can sometimes be rather false and contradictory.

Good to see the Eucalyptus Obstructus in your approach view, a special gum tree that grows its tallest at the ends of runways.

They thrive on the Avgas fumes from passing aircraft.

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing post.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

22 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super flight and shots Gerold, glad you found the airfield!!!!!!!!!

Well John, I had checked it on the map before... and the GPS flight plan also helped a bit.

13 hours ago, adambar said:

At least it was a happy ending unlike Johns. :D 

Fantastic shots and story Gerold! :D

Thank you Adam! The unhappiest endings occur when your sims hang, which thankfully does not happen that often since the change to 64 bit.

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

The Outback is incredible!  Miles and miles of miles and miles!  Well done Gerold, I loved it.

You make a point, Jack. Really distances, and so well depicted by Orbx. I love it as well.

18 hours ago, Chunk said:

Great shots and an even better told story Gerold!

Thanks Chunk. The story developed itself on the way...

22 hours ago, BradB said:

Boy those Orbx HD trees really improve this area of the world :huh::D:lol:  Some fine shots from your flight Gerold BTW . 

Cheers

John

Oh yes, the trees look awesome and give a good impression on the ground as well. Not much scenery, but a pleasure to discover.

13 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey stillwater. Got to think that even flying sim there is a moment of anxiety when the inner voice says, "We should have seen it by now." I sure felt that as the narrative went on. It was a elief to have it work out in the end. Whew!

Well I felt safe as long as I could see the road - that is the advantage of "IFR" flying. Given the absence of traffic, trees or curves these roads could easily act as runways, too...

20 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A great story and flight Gerold.

You have yet to learn that local directions can sometimes be rather false and contradictory.

Good to see the Eucalyptus Obstructus in your approach view, a special gum tree that grows its tallest at the ends of runways.

They thrive on the Avgas fumes from passing aircraft.

"Eucalyptus obstructus" - Martyn you have out-humoured yourself! I was actually rolling on the floor due to your description of the OZx flora. :D

Archived