Orbx and PBR

JohnnyJohnJohn

Enjoy the placebo effect! :D

PBR has to be developed for specifically for textures used in projects and we do not intend to go back and re-do textures for 140+ airports. However we will be looking at adding PBR to new airport titles or any V2 remakes, and then only at the discretion of the airport developer.

If PBR becomes a deciding factor for customers in deciding to buy an airport or not, then I am sure it will convince developers to learn how to implement it.

IMHO PBR is far more compelling when used on materials inside a cockpit, rather than making surfaces of an airport terminal or rain puddles look realistic.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

PBR has to be developed for specifically for textures used in projects and we do not intend to go back and re-do textures for 140+ airports. However we will be looking at adding PBR to new airport titles or any V2 remakes, and then only at the discretion of the airport developer.

If PBR becomes a deciding factor for customers in deciding to buy an airport or not, then I am sure it will convince developers to learn how to implement it.

IMHO PBR is far more compelling when used on materials inside a cockpit, rather than making surfaces of an airport terminal or rain puddles look realistic.

I’m 50/50 on that last paragraph John I’ve seen a few videos around of what PBR can do to terminals and ground polys it sure looks like a great way of making things more realistic ^_^ immersion immersion immersion 

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Does this mean Australia V2 may have PBR? I understand it's unlikely, but it would be interesting.

9 hours ago, John Venema said:

Thanks John.   I'll go with that.....the Placebo is working wonderfully.   LOL

Hi JohnnyJohnJohn,

the only item in P3D v4.4 with PBR textures is the F-16, included as a showcase.

However, there are real improvements in the display of photoreal ground textures, which is probably what you're noticing. See https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163967-exciting-news-from-p3d-44-update-re-photoreal-ground-textures/?do=findComment&comment=1442053

Also, as stated by L-M: "[...] scenery objects can now be drawn at further distances, [...], moon lighting and cloud appearances at night has been overhauled [...]"

Thus, there are indeed several items that markedly improve on the overall display of scenery components, just not PBR, as mentioned by John.

Cheers, Holger 

1 hour ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi JohnnyJohnJohn,

the only item in P3D v4.4 with PBR textures is the F-16, included as a showcase.

However, there are real improvements in the display of photoreal ground textures, which is probably what you're noticing. See https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163967-exciting-news-from-p3d-44-update-re-photoreal-ground-textures/?do=findComment&comment=1442053

Also, as stated by L-M: "[...] scenery objects can now be drawn at further distances, [...], moon lighting and cloud appearances at night has been overhauled [...]"

Thus, there are indeed several items that markedly improve on the overall display of scenery components, just not PBR, as mentioned by John.

Cheers, Holger 

Holger,  Does one see these improvements with only the Client installed, or do we have to install the "full boat"?

Hi Stewart,

L-M is pretty specific as to which package -- client, content, scenery -- contains what improvement: http://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/

I realize it's an eye-watering long list with lots of jargon but it pays to read through it, IMHO.

All the stuff I mentioned above is listed under "Client" and "General Platform Updates" and thus a client update is sufficient. However, their F-16 updates with the new PBR textures are contained within the content package. Possibly more interesting, the Carenado-made AC11 Commander 114 aircraft are also only available via a content update.

The fixes and enhancements in the "scenery" package are pretty minimal. 

Cheers, Holger

• 6 months later...

Archived