Does anyone miss "the old days"?

Medtner

I'm in the process of reinstalling everything regarding P3Dv4, and I just realized how thankful I am that Orbx (and other developers) have come such a long way in streamlining everything for us. 

Remember how timeconsuming a complete reinstall was earlier?

- The different vendors if one needed to download.

- All those zipfiles.

- The serial keys

- Updates - again, all those zipfiles

- And so many other irritations that I've simply forgot (banished from my memory)

Also this: 

- The changing of regions. Remember that? We actually had to change regions outside the sim to be able to shift between the different layers...

All this to say thanks for the great job Orbx has done with FTX Central and their store! :-)

18 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

True.....Progress.

On the other hand, if this overall process with this and everything else being automated....as a species we will become totally sedentary, brain dead and eventually extinct.

Helpful to our planet but ………………………..

I think that is an added bonus. ;-)

I'm doing my flying /A (without GPS) and without autopilot, so no automation for me in the cockpit. But I want to spend more time in the sim and less time deep in folders and installers. :-)

10 hours ago, Medtner said:

Remember how timeconsuming a complete reinstall was earlier?

Hey Medtner. Yesterday I was downloading ORBX freeware in preparation for downloading ORBX sale airports to add to my ORBX library to fit into my ORBX-dominated senior years, and it struck me how easy the whole thing was. With ORBX Central, it's just point and click. I remembered having to download all the files and install them one by one, hoping that they would communicate and produce a full file. I hated it because I was not good at it -- I always screwed up something. I join you in celebrating the Good New Days.

1 minute ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Medtner. Yesterday I was downloading ORBX freeware in preparation for downloading ORBX sale airports to add to my ORBX library to fit into my ORBX-dominated senior years, and it struck me how easy the whole thing was. With ORBX Central, it's just point and click. I remembered having to download all the files and install them one by one, hoping that they would communicate and produce a full file. I hated it because I was not good at it -- I always screwed up something. I join you in celebrating the Good New Days.

I set FTX Central to download The full suite of Global-products, as well as 5-6 regions and 10-15 airports. Prepared a meal and came back to configure and fly. Easy.

Now the only thing lacking in the Global is Mesh. If Orbx had their own mesh product it would be easier - only install for the needed regions and not having to mess with the 15 zips I get from FS Global these days...

So, Orbx... any plans to complete the Global line-up with your own mesh? I’d buy it, for sure! :-)

4 hours ago, Medtner said:

I set FTX Central to download The full suite of Global-products, as well as 5-6 regions and 10-15 airports. Prepared a meal and came back to configure and fly. Easy.

Now the only thing lacking in the Global is Mesh. If Orbx had their own mesh product it would be easier - only install for the needed regions and not having to mess with the 15 zips I get from FS Global these days...

So, Orbx... any plans to complete the Global line-up with your own mesh? I’d buy it, for sure! :-)

I think that’s a very good idea, I guess it will also set the standard for other developers to creat airports according to your mesh. 

Archived