Orbx GB South X Plane Install problems

mac22

Just bought true earth and having some installation problems/questions:

1)Gathering from what I have read the "installation location" FTX Central is asking for during install process is for a back up and not the actual install?

2)I actually have two X plane 11 installs (using steam) one on my M drive the other L - one of these I use for VR - which custom scenery folder is it likely to install it to and can I tell it which of my X planes to install the scenery to to? - do not want it on my VR install  (assume whichever x plane it gets installed to I will need 125gb of free space on that drive?)

3)Just noticed I seem to have two London landmark folders in my custom scenery folder- not sure why  - one of these has a "eee" prefix in front of the title (a system I was using to get it to a certain order in the custom scenery folder - guessing I should just have one (they both appear to be the same file one created in 2017 and the other 2018) assume  I need to delete one of them for everything everything to work ok and ensure it is in the right order with relation to the orbx files?

Hello,

1. The installation location is neither a back up nor where the product is installed to.

It is the location used for the installation process only and it will be empty once the installation is complete.

Typically this can need up to three times the download size.

Please see here.

2. If you have two X Plane 11 installations, FTX Central should see them both and name

them (1) and (2). Please see here

3. As far as I am aware, only one London landmarks version is required.

thanks for the reply - so if i understand correctly.

1)Installation location is simply where it will locate the temp files for the installtion?

2)For my 2 x plane 11 installs it should identify both of them and give me the option which to install scenery into? (assume it references also the locations of 1 and 2 so I can tell which install is which?)

3)Assume best to keep the most recently added London landmarks folder and delete the other?

Final question is I was before adding a letter before all the folder names in the custom scenery folder (and then sorting alphabetically) to ensure all the different files are in the right order in the custom scenery order folder - is this the best way to do it or should you just edit the .ini file to get the order right?

1. Yes

2. Yes it will see them, no it will not identifiy them.

You can do this yourself by temporarily removing the X-Plane.exe file from the VR version.

The one that remains is then identified.

If you intend to use TEGB in both, install it into one and then use shortcuts to add it to the other.

3. Yes

I think most users just edit the scenery_packs.ini file.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

1. Yes

2. Yes it will see them, no it will not identifiy them.

You can do this yourself by temporarily removing the X-Plane.exe file from the VR version.

The one that remains is then identified.

If you intend to use TEGB in both, install it into one and then use shortcuts to add it to the other.

3. Yes

I think most users just edit the scenery_packs.ini file.

Thanks just tried the download - its strangely showing 27gb of 27 gb installed with 1 second remaining - now it seems to be stuck at installing - just wondering if this is normal and I just need to leave it?

@mac22

Probably late here but yes leave it alone. It has only installed the unzipped 27GB, it now has the long process of unzipping and extracting the files, then it has another very long process of do conversions of the Ortho file into a DDS format. The whole process of install from the 27GB zip being downloaded can be upto 3 hours depending on your system spec. DO NOT disturb the process at any stage or you will have to start all over again. It is not a quick install because the download has been severely compressed in order to keep it to 27GB, the subsequent unzipping/extracting therefore will take a long time, then you have the installing, then you have the conversion process. The Conversion process is advertised as possibly taking upto 1.5 hours, so be very aware it is a long install process to get all 127GB into XP.

Well worth the wait by the way.

Archived