Coming Soon: TrueEarth GB Central for X-Plane 11!

@John Venema  Have Orbx taken into account the requirements for Exclusions noted in TE-GB South and ensured that Exclusions are included in the Central version prior to release, or will we have to wait for a Service pack.?Personally i would prefer the job to be done before release so that we don't have to wait for something as important as the exclusions at airports to be delayed as we are in  TE-GB South version. Seeing overlapping buildings a t some airports is quite an immersion killer, As you know people love the positive but dwell on the negative:)

1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

@John Venema  Have Orbx taken into account the requirements for Exclusions noted in TE-GB South and ensured that Exclusions are included in the Central version prior to release, or will we have to wait for a Service pack.?Personally i would prefer the job to be done before release so that we don't have to wait for something as important as the exclusions at airports to be delayed as we are in  TE-GB South version. Seeing overlapping buildings a t some airports is quite an immersion killer, As you know people love the positive but dwell on the negative:)

No we are taking the opposite tack, removing all our buildings from South airports and not including any in Central. Authors of Gateway airports need to start conforming to the XP11 SDK and adding exclusions to their airports. The result will of course be that any airports not upgraded in the Gateway database will be flat without buildings.

Looking forward to this release. Can't wait to fly over my home county of Cheshire and it's neighbours.  Highlights for me will be, Manchester & Liverpool metropolitan areas, Snowdonia National Park, Peak District and Lake District :D

Edited by Paul_Blythe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, John Venema said:

No we are taking the opposite tack, removing all our buildings from South airports and not including any in Central. Authors of Gateway airports need to start conforming to the XP11 SDK and adding exclusions to their airports. The result will of course be that any airports not upgraded in the Gateway database will be flat without buildings.

Interesting and thanks for the insight. Will the South SP take care of the airport buildings removal via another substantial download of the product or will there be something in the SP that triggers the removal like via FTc Central?

4 hours ago, Sheridan Say said:

Hope they correct the colour of the Humber Bridge towers.  Drab concrete please!  It did used to be the longest suspension bridge in the world.  Can't wait though. x

Actually never mind.  Still could have been modelled better though.  The concrete that goes into the water, the road and footpaths and the North Bank tower base for example.

2 hours ago, Sheridan Say said:

Actually never mind.  Still could have been modelled better though.  The concrete that goes into the water, the road and footpaths and the North Bank tower base for example.

True to a certain extent, however keep in mind the product and its price.  At $50 or near enough the product cannot be 'hand-crafted', the best efforts of the testers and devs goes in to making the product the best available with the resources at hand.  Some shortcomings will be evident no matter where you look, the point is it is an outstandingly accurate representation of a huge area and millions of data points at a very reasonable price.

• Like 6

On 11/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, John Venema said:

We don't upgrade XP11 airports. If RAF Valley has been done as a Gateway airport then it will be part of default XP.

Does this mean you'll never make XP UK Airports?    I'm desperate for some Orbx airports, LBA, Manchester, Gatwick ... you so need to do it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shotgun Steve said:

Does this mean you'll never make XP UK Airports?    I'm desperate for some Orbx airports, LBA, Manchester, Gatwick ... you so need to do it. 

Manchester or Gattwick would be an unusual size for OrbX. But otherwise, they have already released EGHI, EGKA and next EGFF. What they talked about  was something different.

In their regions for FSX they replaced the default airports, with their own, improved versions, but far below payware standard, with the exception of EGFF. But X-Plane has its community airports, that are already filled and improved, so they decided that it wouldn't help to put really work to these things, since the community already does it by themselves.

27 minutes ago, Shotgun Steve said:

They are after all, part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

X-Plane and OrbX don't really deal with political plans but with geographic realiities. X-Plane works in tiles and GB and ireland don't share tiles but north and south ireland do!

On 11/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, Longranger241 said:

Manchester or Gattwick would be an unusual size for OrbX. But otherwise, they have already released EGHI, EGKA and next EGFF. What they talked about  was something different.

In their regions for FSX they replaced the default airports, with their own, improved versions, but far below payware standard, with the exception of EGFF. But X-Plane has its community airports, that are already filled and improved, so they decided that it wouldn't help to put really work to these things, since the community already does it by themselves.

@John Venema   Will Orbx ever make mega airports like Aerosoft , Nimbus and Mister X?   It seems most of your products are lesser known airports and or known airports but 1 runway, like KSAN. 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:22 AM, John Venema said:

I think this is the right tack to take Jon. Is ORBX taking a pro-active stance within the airport authors to get conformity - which is so badly needed?

1 hour ago, davidrebolton said:

Any news hot off the press as to when Central will be ready for the masses? :) 

We'll miss November. We are waiting on a bunch of stadiums and other POI models to be finished this week and of course all the bug fixes from beta testing.

Aiming for first week in December now, so not too long now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, John Venema said:

We'll miss November. We are waiting on a bunch of stadiums and other POI models to be finished this week and of course all the bug fixes from beta testing.

Hi John

Just a quick note from a new(ish) ORBX user.

You guys have done a fantastic job with all of  your products thus far, and I cannot wait for this one sometime in December. I am totally blown away by the accuracy we are seeing in the true earth series.

Thanks to all of you for your hard work and dedication to the flight sim community.

Phill

• Like 4

It looks like you're missing St James' Park in the middle of Newcastle though leek, div'n't yer nar? :D

Now I know you can't have every POI under the sun in the product - but SJP is kind of an integral part of Newcastle city centre and skyline!

I might be being blind though.

On 11/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, John Venema said:

Any news on a release day as yet John ? looking forward to it ;-) 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:41 PM, Shotgun Steve said:

Orbx products are the best. I'm so glad this company exists however,. I am a little disappointed that Northern Ireland isn't included in the True Great Britain products.  They are after all, part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

The term "Great Britain" is often used to include the whole of England, Scotland and Wales including their component adjoining islands; and is also occasionally but contentiously applied to the UK as a whole in some contexts

A single Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the union of the Kingdom of England (which had already comprised the present-day countries of England and Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland by the 1707 Acts of Union. More than a hundred years before, in 1603, King James VI, King of Scots, had inherited the throne of England, but it was not until 1707 that the two countries' parliaments agreed to form a political union. In 1801, Great Britain united with the neighbouring Kingdom of Ireland, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which was renamed the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" after the Irish Free State seceded in 1922.

• Like 1

I understand that the North of Ireland, along with Eire, is not included because the imagery was of too poor quality for ORBX's standards, and nothing to do with the political division etc of GB itself.

I may be wrong...

On the other hand I found this link:

and then saw that ORBX had indeed got pristine ortho photos for Ireland (all of it) so that clarifies everything dunnit!

Edited by Fizzelle
Clarified stuff

11 hours ago, Ian S said:

The term "Great Britain" is often used to include the whole of England, Scotland and Wales including their component adjoining islands; and is also occasionally but contentiously applied to the UK as a whole in some contexts

A single Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the union of the Kingdom of England (which had already comprised the present-day countries of England and Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland by the 1707 Acts of Union. More than a hundred years before, in 1603, King James VI, King of Scots, had inherited the throne of England, but it was not until 1707 that the two countries' parliaments agreed to form a political union. In 1801, Great Britain united with the neighbouring Kingdom of Ireland, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which was renamed the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" after the Irish Free State seceded in 1922.

Edited by Shotgun Steve
Either way,. Just give me those rolling Yorkshire hills!