That looks greek to me...

Stillwater

From Heraklion, the capital of the Island of Crete...

VpX0q35.jpg

... I followed the road southwards, over the moutains at Agia Varvara, ...

eQKWQZx.jpg

... where, after crossing the pass, we had a glorious view of the Messara plain.

52OVwzs.jpg

ZzutHS7.jpg

Further westwards the main city of the plainland, Mires, was crossed (and misplaced in Vector...), ...

p9vofYW.jpg

3nWwIn0.jpg

... and over the Minoan harbour we flew out to the Libyan Sea.

c5G4ZJU.jpg

The uninhabited Paximadi islands are a good waymark to turn back...

ihDVM9x.jpg

OjxfLfg.jpg

.. to the famous bay of Matala, 

bW8Mz4J.jpg

... and overlooking the 5 km-long Komos beach again.

vLDvYPN.jpg

7pBGyzk.jpg

Here we are already on the way back to Heraklion, crossing Zaros - a good place for hiking and freshwater fishing.

CT9ulQM.jpg

Sorry, no landing pictures today. But you know how this looks like, be it successful or not, don´t you?

As you can see OpenLC does its job and gives a wonderful realistic impression of the landscape. As well we can see this is no full fat region, some Vector misplacements and the lack of POIs or true cites is evident. And this is totally as intended (and expected) by the Global packages: Mission accomplished, I would say.

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Wow Gerald these are super shots!!!!!  I would have to say these the first screenshots of Crete I have ever seen.  Thanks for the comments and real pictures.

Thanks John. It´s not around the corner for you, but another nice place on this planet.

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I was just flying the 737 there yesterday with a pilot friend in the UK.

But Gerold, you seem to find a lot of bugs in Orbx's stuff.  No offense.

Good to add some VFR experience to your recent flight, Jack B).

I wouldn´t call this "bugs", it is just the limits of openLC. Sure, no one likes to get at the limits. But, well, this is the intention of OLC, isn´t it?

8 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Gerold. Nice trip of Greece. I loved Anthony Quinn's movies when I was a kid.:)Oh and still do.:D

Thank you Karl. Some classical emotion in scenes like this!

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you for these wonderful views, Gerold, which remind me of my childhood visits to the island. How hot it was, and how cold, and how we wandered through the ancient ruins of Knossos. It was marvellous.

Good to cause some memories. There are so many ruins down there, anywhere, even unnamed. And, especially in Summer and in toristic places like Matala, there are things all different from ruins - maybe even the lady in red goes there!

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Interesting flight and shots Gerold! :) I was there in 1962, beautiful little Island.

I am sure it was a totally different world in 1962. Much more like Alexis Zorbas!

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Very nice tour. I did an Aegean Islands day flight in a Tiger Moth a couple of years ago and still remember it fondly. That area presents flight sim at its best. Thanks!

Do I get you right you did a real life flight there? I can not imagine how cool this must be!

2 hours ago, paulb said:

Well done Gerold! A great flight and a super mix of photos and shots :)

Thank you Paul. I am not funded by any tourism office :D...

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Some wonderful countryside in your images Gerold both Sim and RL.

I would never have thought freshwater fishing would have been that great in the area, interesting to learn it is otherwise.

Thank you Martyn. This forum should be a source of knowledge, maybe even tax-free. Take a look at the Zaros lake here:

zIOuR5o.jpg

14 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Karl. Some classical emotion in scenes like this!

Good to cause some memories. There are so many ruins down there, anywhere, even unnamed. And, especially in Summer and in toristic places like Matala, there are things all different from ruins - maybe even the lady in red goes there!

I am sure it was a totally different world in 1962. Much more like Alexis Zorbas!

Do I get you right you did a real life flight there? I can not imagine how cool this must be!

Thank you Paul. I am not funded by any tourism office :D...

Thanks Iain.

Thank you Martyn. This forum should be a source of knowledge, maybe even tax-free. Take a look at the Zaros lake here:

zIOuR5o.jpg

This appears to be a pleasant location to wile away the time and some pretty sizable fish in the water too.

19 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord mentioned an Aegean Tiger Moth tour.

GEROLD: Do I get you right you did a real life flight there? I can not imagine how cool this must be!

RODGER P: Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. No, it was an ORBX flight -- but still great fun, very beautiful, and fondly remembered.

Archived