Frame rate hit with True Earth UK question

muso7

Hi Guys

I'm a long term Orbx customer (many purchases for my old MS-FSX) but now run X-plane 11 on iMac

I realise this is a little subjective, but just wondered if anyone notices any significant change in frame-rate with this new UK scenery (that I must have!!!;))

In my previous experiences with Orbx products, I found very little (if any) frame rate change.

Many thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Pete :)

15 hours ago, muso7 said:

Hi Guys

I'm a long term Orbx customer (many purchases for my old MS-FSX) but now run X-plane 11 on iMac

I realise this is a little subjective, but just wondered if anyone notices any significant change in frame-rate with this new UK scenery (that I must have!!!;))

In my previous experiences with Orbx products, I found very little (if any) frame rate change.

Many thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Very much depending on what your PC specs are, I can say that the FPS is fine. Obviously in areas like London the FPS takes a hit, how much of a hit is again dependent on your specs. To get the full benefit of TEGB you need your World Objects at max, visual effects set at a minimum to HDR, texture quality to Max no compression (this really enhances ZL17) and AA at a minimum of 2xSSAA+FXAA.

I have made a second copy of XP11 with just Europe in the Global Scenery folder and installed TEGB + Barton and Southampton airports. I rely on the default airports of XP for all other airports i.e. I have not included any freeware addons. This leaves me with a version of XP devoid of the need for any Libraries (except) OrbxLibrary. I therefore have no 3rd party potential clashes or scenery ini rearrangements to be constantly checking. The result is I have high settings and in London around 25 fps at EGLC looking towards Canary Wharf. As soon as I start to leave Canary Wharf i am in the 30+ fps. The rest of the country is 35-70 fps.

Hope this helps you to get your credit/debit card out.:)

2 hours ago, muso7 said:

THANKS!!! Greatly appreciated - I'm a bit under-spec'd but OrbX's Meigs runs superbly - think I'll go ahead with TEGB

Cheers

Pete :) 

And after your 3 odd hours installing etc, what do you think of it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fizzelle
Sorry - been slack for a month - just bought it and downloading it now - should have it by tomorrow morning so will let you know how it goes.

(Download has another 7 hours to go !!!)

8 hours ago, muso7 said:

Hey Fizzelle
Sorry - been slack for a month - just bought it and downloading it now - should have it by tomorrow morning so will let you know how it goes.

(Download has another 7 hours to go !!!)

Hang on in there Pete!

I found South excellent for frame rates, Central has a bit more of a hit as the mesh is more, well, bumpier with all them there hills etc.

May be my system, still tweaking it!

Fizz

7 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Hang on in there Pete!

I found South excellent for frame rates, Central has a bit more of a hit as the mesh is more, well, bumpier with all them there hills etc.

Fizz

Hi Fizzelle, sorry for jumping in on this thread but I see you have both South and Central as I do. I've posted elsewhere about there being a difference in the night lights in each area, most noticeable when you cross the joint between them. Can you confirm if you're also seeing a difference, its unmissable on my rig and on the other orbx user that has responded to my post. Thanks

15 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Hang on in there Pete!

Fizz

Hey again Fizz

Thanks for that feedback - I am guessing I'll be getting excited about Central and North soon but.....

.....currently in the midst of much frustrating fun!!!!

Took 7 hours to download and now running the NV JPG conversions - 14,000+ - so far it has taken 12 hours and I estimate another 12 to go.

Well - can't wait to try this TEGBS - - sitting and watching the screen doesn't seem to be helping but the odd glass of wine is!!!

Pete ;)

....footnote for anyone with X-plane on Mac OSX:- hope you are patient!!!
The download was long enough but the NV conversion script ran solidly for 30 hours (2 hours left to go for me......)
Not complaining - I have been a fan of ORBX for years with FSX but this is my second purchase for X-Plane 11 on Mac

Meigs is fantastic - looking forward to True Earth in just 2 more hours!!!!

Have a great Christmas you guys...

10 hours ago, muso7 said:

....footnote for anyone with X-plane on Mac OSX:- hope you are patient!!!
The download was long enough but the NV conversion script ran solidly for 30 hours (2 hours left to go for me......)
Not complaining - I have been a fan of ORBX for years with FSX but this is my second purchase for X-Plane 11 on Mac

Meigs is fantastic - looking forward to True Earth in just 2 more hours!!!!

Have a great Christmas you guys...

I think all your trials and tribulations are sufficient to make a great soap opera! Better than the Kardashian lot anyway.

:)

On 12/12/2018 at 10:11 PM, suspman said:

Hi Fizzelle, sorry for jumping in on this thread but I see you have both South and Central as I do. I've posted elsewhere about there being a difference in the night lights in each area, most noticeable when you cross the joint between them. Can you confirm if you're also seeing a difference, its unmissable on my rig and on the other orbx user that has responded to my post. Thanks

Yup, the lights are way brighter in Central, confirmed.

The biggest problem in terms of performance with Orbx is if I start a flight outside of Orbx regions and cross the boundary into a region. This definitely happens with South, not sure about Central. CPU goes to 100% and practically freezes XP11 for several seconds, then continues loading in drips after that. Overall performance is fine but crossing the boundary is unpleasant.

22 hours ago, jazzyjay said:

The biggest problem in terms of performance with Orbx is if I start a flight outside of Orbx regions and cross the boundary into a region. This definitely happens with South, not sure about Central. CPU goes to 100% and practically freezes XP11 for several seconds, then continues loading in drips after that. Overall performance is fine but crossing the boundary is unpleasant.

Us in the North hate going South, and vice versa. Crossing the boundary, especially on the M11, M1, M40 etc is, indeed, unpleasant!!

On 12/17/2018 at 3:03 AM, Fizzelle said:

Us in the North hate going South, and vice versa. Crossing the boundary, especially on the M11, M1, M40 etc is, indeed, unpleasant!!

:lol::lol:

Hi guys

Well, JUST testing out the TEUK-Central for the first time.....

Magnificent!!! Currently relaxing on a trip through the Lake District (did a lot of hitch-hiking there a long time ago when people were normal ;))

CENTRAL downloaded faster but of course is smaller too

The NV conversion script ran at about 2.5 times faster - took about 4-5 hours (not 32 like SOUTH) - but remember, I'm on a Mac.

(Note if you are on a Mac, the script to remove the JPG files does not work due to the file-list-limitation in the UNIX commands (OSX) so you need to delete them another way - I just created my own script - I am thinking this will be the same in LINUX too.)

Anyhow, seriously, these scenery packs are OUTSTANDING -and I have had no change in frame-rates (I actually think they are better in some cases)

Like everyone does, found my house, my school, and other family locations. Took a screen shot of overhead in Nottingham and same in Google Earth - absolutely stunning similarities.

These packs are worth every cent in my honest opinion

Ready to complete the UK as soon as ORBX guys are ready with it up NORTH!!!

Have a fantastic Christmas/festive season/holiday or however you celebrate.

Cheers

Pete :D

2 hours ago, flyingdrill said:

@muso7

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your iMac?   Do you have a 4GB or 8GB VRAM graphics card?  

Seasonal Greetings!

HI - My Mac is around 3 years old - I wish I had considered XP11 when buying it - however, these are the details:-

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Proc 3.3GHz i5

16GB RAM

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

So quite underspec'd for big healthy frame rates but if I can get over 20 most of the time I am happy.

The VRAM size is the killer and there is no way I can change it sadly (like upgrade just the graphics card). BUT, all things considered XP11 runs very well

As you can see from my picture (top left corner), I'm getting 30+ FPS with ORBX in the Wye Valley. London City is a bit lower but still enjoyable.

Hope this is what your were asking....

Cheers and seasons greetings to you too.

Pete :)

@muso7 

Very interesting, Pete.  My 27" iMac is higher specced than that, and I can get very fast frame rates in certain areas and with certain planes.  Interestingly, I find that if I pop the sliders up to give me a lower frame rate, my CPU temps. are lower, and the fan doesn't have to run so fast.  This has been my biggest concern with XP11 on the iMac.   It often and easily runs my with my i7 core temperatures spiking to 100°C........  It never throttles, so the general feeling among other users is that this is probably OK.  The proximity board never gets that hot.  I use SMCFanControl or Macs Fan Control, and set the fan at around 1800 rpm, and occasionally the OS will ramp it up to 2200 or more.

I still use XP10 a lot, as it runs a lot cooler and usually faster even with complex planes and ortho.   Apart from the new eye candy and some increased functionality of the Garmins, XP11 doesn't offer a lot more to me for what I do with the sim.    I'm also a bit concerned that as the development team keep busting stuff while they get to the 11.30 release, I could end up with a lot of planes that no longer work as their makers intended.  So, it may mean a lot of updating and re-authenticating, and some may never be fixed.....   Thanks for the info. on how long GB South takes to install.   Pretty much like some others have indicated.  

Archived