Aerofly FS 2: any updates on what's coming?

NoLonger

I've been sneeking in questions in various topics and hinting about in various places but so far no luck: no one from Orbx seems willing to tell what the state of AFS2 is in Orbx-land. I am specially interested in TE GB and TE PNW: when will one of these be released? Are they still on the list of addons to be released...? It's awfully quite when it comes to AFS2. So instead of hijacking topics and posting hints I thought it might be better to simply ask it straightforward. ;)

It's indeed awfully quite when it comes to AFS2 but to be honest, I think that the confidence in this simulator is decreasing considerably for many people.

Besides ORBX we have not seen any other developers taking the step to Aerofly FS2.

The enormously slow development speed of Aerofly FS2 also does not really help.

For a long time I strongly believed in Aerofly FS2 but the lack of features and active development has stopped me from using it.
It is a great sim for the visuals, but has too many elements that are missing.

In the meantime, I moved to X-Plane 11. I think we should still look for the future in that direction unless unexpected big surprises are incoming...;)

2 minutes ago, Matthijs said:

It's indeed awfully quite when it comes to AFS2 but to be honest, I think that the confidence in this simulator is decreasing considerably for many people.

Besides ORBX we have not seen any other developers taking the step to Aerofly FS2.

The enormously slow development speed of Aerofly FS2 also does not really help.

For a long time I strongly believed in Aerofly FS2 but the lack of features and active development has stopped me from using it.
It is a great sim for the visuals, but has too many elements that are missing.

In the meantime, I moved to X-Plane 11. I think we should still look for the future in that direction unless unexpected big surprises are incoming...;)

Agreed. I mainly fly the Majestic Q400 in P3D but like to sometimes fly in AFS2 for low and slow sightseeing. I also don't have any high hopes left that AFS2 will become a contender for P3D or XP but well... you never know. Progress is indeed slow and a short while ago yet another plane developer decided to stop working on his AFS2 plane so for now it's only scenery we will get. No 3rd party planes in AFS2 for now and none are announced... Even IPACS's own R22 heli is taking ages and don't get me started on ATC... AFS2 is losing momentum quick : more and more users seem to leave it behind.

But anyway, I'd still like to see TE GB or PNW in AFS2!

After the release of TE GB for XP I considered reinstalling XP 11 again but that sim also has too much missing (unless I throw a few hundred bucks at it) so I will stay with P3D for now. And AFS2 for some quick flights.

TE GB for AFS2 is ported from the P3D version.

Since the TE GB P3D version is not even in beta yet, the AFS2 port from that is some time away.

Please keep in mind that not too long ago Orbx would release only one FTX region for FSX/P3D a year. In the past 12 months we have released four regions for four platforms which is a very large increase in output without a lot of extra resources.

It is optimistic to expect us to release 5-7 regions a year across 3-4 platforms unless we rapidly expand our resources. So because of this resource bottleneck we will begin recruiting developers for our new UK dev centre. This dev centre will mainly be focused on TE regions and porting airports from FSX/P3D to XP/AFS2.

Ultimately though, we are a business. Yes, I am on record saying our AFS2 efforts are a long-term R&D investment, and this has been ongoing for over two years now. However at some point the R&D has to pay back its investment and this has not been the case with AFS2. For that reason we have recently re-focused back to our core P3D platform and expanded into XP11 which has proven to be profitable in terms of units sold and the XP community embracing Orbx products.

Having said all that, I still believe in AFS2 as providing the best VR experience of any sim platform out there, and for this reason we still believe it is worth porting regions and airports to it in the long term. Just don't expect us to be so prolific about it because we cannot expend too much effort without any reward.

I spent a day in Germany with the IPACS team about six weeks ago and they showed me some pretty exciting stuff to come in the sim, so please don't write it off just yet!

1 hour ago, J van E said:

After the release of TE GB for XP I considered reinstalling XP 11 again but that sim also has too much missing (unless I throw a few hundred bucks at it) so I will stay with P3D for now. And AFS2 for some quick flights.

I use XP11 (obviously) and I have not spent very much on any addons at all. The default aircraft are very good indeed and the only addon I currently use is Ultra Weather XP  which gives me very nice clouds, skies, haze, water and much more control over cloud shadow size and darkness, general scenery shadows, cloud size and a bunch of other things.

XP11 will probably be discounted in the coming Black Friday or xmas sales on Steam, so wait a few weeks and grab a bargain. I prefer Steam because it makes it nice and portable across many PCs.

I also run XP11 entirely off a 2TB external SSD connected via USB-C so that lets me add plenty of TE regions :) 

Archived