Jandakot is really out of date

Mawson

Hey Orbx people when will you update Jandakot as its so out of date that it looks like a different airport with missing taxiways and extensions to taxiways and the size of the hanger area has doubled that it looks like different airport!

Orbx airports are 'point in time' sceneries.  This means that they represent the airport's layout etc when the imagery was purchased and the airport developed to suit.

Unfortunately it is neither feasible nor economic to update airports. 

Many airports have changed a lot since they were produced for the sim, my local YSCB is a prime example.  I still enjoy flying there, it just requires a bit of mental gymnastics to take me back 10 years when I do so!

But conversely, if you have been somewhere, and know a situation is different to the product you purchased - it does matter to you.

I still believe each product should have their release date on the front page of the site.

People can them make an informed decision if they want to still pay full price for an historical representation of scenery.

9 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

But conversely, if you have been somewhere, and know a situation is different to the product you purchased - it does matter to you.

I still believe each product should have their release date on the front page of the site.

People can them make an informed decision if they want to still pay full price for an historical representation of scenery.

Well yes but there are always a ton of screenshots available to help you make your choice.  And the release date may not be the imagery date.  Sometimes it can a couple of years to get a project out the door.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, teecee said:

If you have never seen the "real thing" it really does not matter.. does it? How many of us have seen RL Aus, let alone Jandakot? Terry.

Hi Terry < I fly there in an actual R22 as well as on my sim and it is really important to me as Jandakot has doubled in size on the apron area and there is literally half of the airport missing ! I 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, John Dow said:

Orbx airports are 'point in time' sceneries.  This means that they represent the airport's layout etc when the imagery was purchased and the airport developed to suit.

Unfortunately it is neither feasible nor economic to update airports. 

Many airports have changed a lot since they were produced for the sim, my local YSCB is a prime example.  I still enjoy flying there, it just requires a bit of mental gymnastics to take me back 10 years when I do so!

I agree they are a point in time but Jandakot went under a major redevelopment over the last 10 years and its very out of date in terms of aprons and taxiways and some new landmarks we use for circuits and what we use to line up for autorotations. I fly there every week in real helicopters and I find it very out of date when I jump in my virtual helicopter, sort of spoils the immersion factor and detracts from it being used for a VFR training tool. 

Hello,

I notice that this line has presumably been added to the product page.

The airport is depicted as was at time of release, circa 2010.

I see that some of the files are actually dated December 2008.

This extract is from the EULA

b. This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is for personal entertainment purposes only and may not be used for flight training purposes.

This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is not part of an approved training program under the standards of any aviation regulatory agency

or body worldwide, whether private or government.

If the airport has changed so much, it is worth also considering that any update to the

existing product might very well be at a cost, something that did apply to Melbourne, to

some customers' dissatisfaction.

In any event, the topic is here to be read by the developer and I am sure that if there were to

be an update it would be announced.

I am sorry Terry I don't understand why you hope it's the end of the discussion, why can't I raise and discuss this topic with other people, that's the purpose of the forum. 

Now I saw what Nick wrote and I agree but if you are saying I am using it soley for training well you are wrong, I have been in flight sim for 20 years before I learned to fly just for fun. For me it's just for fun but my home airport and only airport is Jandakot and the area where the rotary wing are mostly located, does not exist in this airport so it would be nice to have a closer representation rather than 10 years ago.

I am not complaining I was just making the point it was out of date and for me it destroys the immersion and I was seeing how others felt as I was hoping for the developer to perhaps look at a version 2 as a stand alone and I can only speak for myself at this point but I would be more than happy to pay for a version 2.

I also understand that some people like to go back in time and they can stick with the version 1 they enjoy.

I know you are from the East Coast so you may not understand that with "65 business employing 900 people it is the busiest GA airport in Australia" (Wikipedia Oct 2018)   so in my honest opinion it probably deserves a version 2 upgrade in the near future.

Now if you think Jandakot doesn't deserve the attention because you have some other agenda please be courteous and ad to the discussion with a reasonable argument as to  what your agenda is rather than trying to tell me to end my discussion or even better go create your own discussion with your open agenda, maybe you have another airport you want to see done.

Orbx is a leading developer for our hobby so this is exactly the right place for this discussion and I own about 80% of all their products so don't tell me what I can and can't ask again and stop acting as the white knight of the forum, it's not your job and I don't appreciate your passive aggressive attitude to try and shut down the discussion that I started in good faith.

I think its great that Nick Cooper has commented and highlighted some facts.

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I notice that this line has presumably been added to the product page.

I see that some of the files are actually dated December 2008.

This extract is from the EULA

If the airport has changed so much, it is worth also considering that any update to the

existing product might very well be at a cost, something that did apply to Melbourne, to

some customers' dissatisfaction.

In any event, the topic is here to be read by the developer and I am sure that if there were to

be an update it would be announced.

Thanks for your comments and I agree with you.  

Jandakot is my only airport that I fly from outside the sim world so I  really notice how out of the date the airport is in terms of its apron layout not just buildings and the area directly adjacent and  around the airport. In terms of technpolgy and desin of the 2008-2010 version we have here it has stood the test of time in terms of how it looks and works and is still one of the best ORBX airports but being the busiesnt and largest GA aiport in Australia it may well be time for a version 2.

It will always be a popular airport as it is where most Western Australian's dream of flying, learn how to fly or operate their GA aircraft from, so I am sure it would be a popular product if we can get Jarrad Marshall to do a version 2. 

I know this is only for entertainment but there is a cross over point where people fly there for real and sim there and it used to add to total  immersion factor when it used to be so close to being at 1500 feet doing a circuit. It's still a Magnificent product and slice in time as it stands but the differences have now become a little too distracting for me these days.

" I know you are from the East Coast so you may not understand that with 65 business employing 900 people it is the busiest GA airport in Australia"

I  lived and worked in WA for many years, and flew in and out of Perth many times, but this has nothing to do with these posts..Do you think that your thoughts and requests do not apply to a high percentage of almost every airport in the sim? I assure you that they do, but it's unrealistic to expect Orbx to keep these hundreds of airports "up to date". Terry.

49 minutes ago, Tim Harris said:

Lets just agree to disagree chaps, the sniping is not helpful and heading off-topic

I totally agree Tim but I am not sniping anyone.

I raised a very practical and relevant question about a brilliant airport in the ORBX fleet and we have a person that seems to want to shut down my ability to discuss a sensible and relevant topic down and I don't understand why.

I would be pleased if he just left the discussion as he has no authority or right to dictate what I or others wish to discuss as he is neither a moderator nor a developer of the Jandakot Airport and he just keeps being passive aggressive towards any comment I make.

I would be happy to discuss his position as to why he does not want Jandakot updated but I have already agreed maybe we could have a version 2 and a 2008 version 1. This may be something ORBX may want to consider going forward as there is a dichotomy of people that want a slice in time 10 years ago and others like myself that would like to see an airport updated. I guess the longer ORBX is in business the more this issue of outdated airport infrastructure ( runways and taxiways and aprons) will become as an issue,  so it may be good for the Orbx team to start thinking of the future and what airports may get updated or a version 2 offered.

It's simply not acceptable for another member  to think I have no right to voice a sensible and practical opinion. I would encourage this member to state their agenda openly so we can have a sensible discussion and it may be he simply likes the airport in that period of time. I guess that is his opinion and a very fair one but it doesn't give him the right to railroad my opinion and not let me discuss it with others of similar views, does it now?

I simply will not stand for being bullied,  and I wont stand for others being bullied and I am not the sniper or the flamer or bully here. 

Archived