New FTX US Region for P3D

franck66

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, BradB said:

I have been hoping for SRM (Southern Rocky Mountains) to come to fruition , maybe some day ......:rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

+1 more here.

It has to happen eventually... it just has to.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:39 PM, BradB said:

I have been hoping for SRM (Southern Rocky Mountains) to come to fruition , maybe some day ......:rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Yes, all this are would be interesting

wc5HAbR.jpg

There is also an area uncovered that could be made as an extension or update to either SAK or  PFJ

lC9gjQN.jpg

I think the North East Coast would be great including all south-east of Canada, Toronto, Otawa, Montreal & Quebec. Too much wishing list for Santa?

"""""There is also an area uncovered that could be made as an extension or update to either SAK or  PFJ"""""

Hi Carlos,

There is a scenery called Tongass Fjords   https://fsaddonshop.com/products/tongass-fjords-x   

that fills in the area you noted as needing an extention/update.  It works great alongside Orbx.  Once you have it there are multiple threads explaining how to get it to play nice with either FSX or P3D.

12 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

"""""There is also an area uncovered that could be made as an extension or update to either SAK or  PFJ"""""

Hi Carlos,

There is a scenery called Tongass Fjords   https://fsaddonshop.com/products/tongass-fjords-x   

that fills in the area you noted as needing an extention/update.  It works great alongside Orbx.  Once you have it there are multiple threads explaining how to get it to play nice with either FSX or P3D.

Hi Rob

Thank you very much for this information. Now I understand why it was left "uncovered"

I'll take a look at it

Cheers

I was wondering when the east coast of the US will be covered by Orbx. There are a lot of regions there, New England, Mid Atlantic etc

What about the Southwest of the United States on the border with Mexico (Arizona, New Mexico)? As well as Nevada and New Mexico as mentioned above? 

2 hours ago, SquireAus said:

What about the Southwest of the United States on the border with Mexico (Arizona, New Mexico)? As well as Nevada and New Mexico as mentioned above? 

Desert areas have always been avoided by most serious scenery developers (exceptions being photoreal and some attempts at texture/landclass combinations like GEX).  It is darn near impossible to get a "realistic" ground presentation with texture/landclass for a wide geographic area that is mostly sand/parched earth and scrub brush area.  Photoreal is usually the best representation, but photoreal will normally always end up being "one color palette fits all", which does not represent what someone will see in a desert environment...the desert colors out here in the U.S. southwest change colors numerous times during the day depending on lighting conditions (which photoreal scenery can't do).  Plus, "low and slow" over a desert for sight-seeing isn't going to be very inspiring for very long.  There just aren't many POI's to "explore" or "discover".  For a developer to do something like northern Africa or even most of the state of Nevada as a dedicated scenery project isn't going to be very appealing to a majority of the simming community.  Seriously...how many of us fly over the extended outback areas of ORBX Australia on a regular basis?  Low and slow?  Looking at the "pretty scenery" there?  

I live in Nevada.  I love what ORBX has done for the southern Las Vegas area of Nevada they included in the SOCAL Region  product.  But there is "stuff" down here that makes it worth having in my sim.  Not so much when I fly north of Las Vegas all the way to Oregon/Idaho though (exception being the Lake Tahoe area, which ORBX also included in their region products).  For most of Nevada, I have Nevada photoreal scenery when I want to fly there.  At best, ORBX might do the rest of the southwest U.S. as a TrueEarth photoreal project, but even then there wouldn't be much of anything else in the geography to see (like autogen, airports, POI's, etc).

Southern Rockies?  Yes, I could see that.  But the question with current scenery technology is should it be texture/landclass based, or TrueEarth now?  I'm guessing ORBX is leaning towards more TrueEarth nowadays.  Heck, they are going to REDO the entire Pacific Northwest in TrueEarth.  That should be an indication of what the future of texture/landclass products will be.  

Years ago, when it was possible, people had put their whole OrbX shopping lists into their signatures, and on these you could easily see that NRM and CRM were by far the least popular regions of the OrbX catalogue. I guess that was the reason why SRM had fallen off the to-do-list back then.

Also, as Falcon wrote, deserts aren't really suitable for LC.

I too would love to see a Southern Rocky Mountain region, but let's extend it a little farther easy and South to include Colorado and at least northern New Mexico: Chama, Antonito and the great steam narrow gauge railroad that connects them.  Also Taos, NM and nearby area.

Ken

Further thoughts on the Southwest: I think FalconAF is right on his observation on desert scenery, and the NA landclass  portrays this scenery very well. But how about some payware airports with accompanying cityscapes.  Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Tuscon (with the Puma Air Museum and the famous "boneyard" included) come to mind.

Ken

On 10/30/2018 at 12:09 PM, Gabe777 said:

One vote for extending Alaska upwards...... we want more !

And, there are many small airfields that could be developed as well.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:21 PM, mikee said:

Rest of Alaska would be great :)

Me Too!

Don

On 10/30/2018 at 4:58 AM, FalconAF said:

Desert areas have always been avoided by most serious scenery developers (exceptions being photoreal and some attempts at texture/landclass combinations like GEX).  It is darn near impossible to get a "realistic" ground presentation with texture/landclass for a wide geographic area that is mostly sand/parched earth and scrub brush area.  Photoreal is usually the best representation, but photoreal will normally always end up being "one color palette fits all", which does not represent what someone will see in a desert environment...the desert colors out here in the U.S. southwest change colors numerous times during the day depending on lighting conditions (which photoreal scenery can't do).  Plus, "low and slow" over a desert for sight-seeing isn't going to be very inspiring for very long.  There just aren't many POI's to "explore" or "discover".  For a developer to do something like northern Africa or even most of the state of Nevada as a dedicated scenery project isn't going to be very appealing to a majority of the simming community.  Seriously...how many of us fly over the extended outback areas of ORBX Australia on a regular basis?  Low and slow?  Looking at the "pretty scenery" there?  

I live in Nevada.  I love what ORBX has done for the southern Las Vegas area of Nevada they included in the SOCAL Region  product.  But there is "stuff" down here that makes it worth having in my sim.  Not so much when I fly north of Las Vegas all the way to Oregon/Idaho though (exception being the Lake Tahoe area, which ORBX also included in their region products).  For most of Nevada, I have Nevada photoreal scenery when I want to fly there.  At best, ORBX might do the rest of the southwest U.S. as a TrueEarth photoreal project, but even then there wouldn't be much of anything else in the geography to see (like autogen, airports, POI's, etc).

Southern Rockies?  Yes, I could see that.  But the question with current scenery technology is should it be texture/landclass based, or TrueEarth now?  I'm guessing ORBX is leaning towards more TrueEarth nowadays.  Heck, they are going to REDO the entire Pacific Northwest in TrueEarth.  That should be an indication of what the future of texture/landclass products will be.  

Interesting, wonder how Orbx will represent the Sahara.

I liked a lot flying in Utah...

And I like to fly in Alice Springs :rollmyeyes:

On 10/30/2018 at 5:29 AM, Vora said:

Years ago, when it was possible, people had put their whole OrbX shopping lists into their signatures, and on these you could easily see that NRM and CRM were by far the least popular regions of the OrbX catalogue. I guess that was the reason why SRM had fallen off the to-do-list back then.

Also, as Falcon wrote, deserts aren't really suitable for LC.

So we'll never have Middle East?   :(

Actually that is a good point.  If ORBX can figure out the coloration in WA and the Aussie outback, then they should be able to figure out Utah, Arizona, Colorado, NM and so forth.  It seems like this group is able to push through where so many others fail.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:12 AM, Ken Q said:

Further thoughts on the Southwest: I think FalconAF is right on his observation on desert scenery, and the NA landclass  portrays this scenery very well. But how about some payware airports with accompanying cityscapes.  Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Tuscon (with the Puma Air Museum and the famous "boneyard" included) come to mind.

Ken

I was thinking of a Cityscape Phoenix, and since we already have a great airport in the form of Flightbeam KPHX, I wonder if that would be compatible? Would make the approach less of an eyesore considering since AZ is outside ORBX OpenLC range and therefore uses stock autogen which is... troubled to say the least.

Also, for Californis what about a Bay Area or LA Metro cityscape? Would help liven up the approach.

14 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Barrow!!

Fairbanks

Imagine full-on OrbX renditions of Nome, Barrow, Bethel, St. Marys, Deadhorse, Little Diomede.... and .... best of all - Unalakleet ! (There are a few of these now, but there is plenty of room for expansion - 3D grass, villages etc., plus, Ariel and her mum messing around on the ramp at Una, and of course Jim's Cessna 180 parked up !).

I'll be first in line with my Aussie dollars !

7 hours ago, SquireAus said:

<snip> ... since AZ is outside ORBX OpenLC range and therefore uses stock autogen which is... troubled to say the least.

I don't quite understand this.  Arizona is clearly covered by Open LC NA, so is there truly a problem with "stock autogen"?

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

Imagine full-on OrbX renditions of Nome, Barrow, Bethel, St. Marys, Deadhorse, Little Diomede.... and .... best of all - Unalakleet ! (There are a few of these now, but there is plenty of room for expansion - 3D grass, villages etc., plus, Ariel and her mum messing around on the ramp at Una, and of course Jim's Cessna 180 parked up !).

I'll be first in line with my Aussie dollars !

Yeah - I'd be happy to see the autogen updated in the area to see all those bright colors they commonly use on the Inuit villages... I don't think SAK reflects that but I haven't flown up there in a bit...

My vote:

Bahamas.thumb.jpg.e176e8c6275cf9ba7373284bbeb64f53.jpg

14911_027_16x9.jpg

Regards,
Scott

19 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I don't quite understand this.  Arizona is clearly covered by Open LC NA, so is there truly a problem with "stock autogen"?

I meant specific region wise, I think I muddled my words badly.

23 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Yeah - I'd be happy to see the autogen updated in the area to see all those bright colors they commonly use on the Inuit villages... I don't think SAK reflects that but I haven't flown up there in a bit...

Funny you say that, as I disable Buildings Autogen in Alaska..... default is just too painful! 

But I did find a Unalakleet village scenery from like 10 years ago..... goes just fine, but to get the whole OrbX treatment for all those famous hubs in Alaska would be awesome.

Problem of course, which I fully appreciate, is its sheer size.... Alaska is REALLY big, BUT, much is covered already with OpenLC and Vectors..... just a case of someone coming along who wants to do a bunch of isolated areas.

Maybe one day... !?!

Archived