Looking for your favorite Short GA flights in North America

Ziggy

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Everyone, I thought I’d try something a bit different for finding cool places to fly.

First off, I haven’t used my Simulators for a little while as I have been quite busy with work. I work for a School district as an Electrician and Summer is our busy time.

I mostly use P3D 4.3 and have all of ORBX NA Scenery installed as well as PNG and Pago Pago, I don’t have any of my ORBX Aus., NZ or Europe installed at this time.

I’m hoping the good people here will let me know what their favorite GA flights are in N.A.

preferably shorter flights that take less than an hour.

I am always checking out the forums to see where you guys are going and looking at the pics and videos, it’s my favorite part of the ORBX forums.

So hopefully you will show me your favorite flights, I don’t need flight plans, just a start and finish is fine but if you think a flight plan is useful or needed by all means please post it! (If that’s alright with the mods)

I’ve got almost all the planes you can think of, small GA (floats, skis, Tundra, etc.) Mid GA, Large GA, small Biz jets, regional jets, AS Airbus’s and PMDG 737’s but no really “Big Heavies” and I don’t have choppers in my fleet as my home cockpit is set up for planes.

Looking forward to seeing where all of your favorite places to go are and flying them myself!!;)

Cheers,

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 2

It's hard to go wrong flying in Alaska any time of year i think. Or all along the Pacific coast even. :)

Flying from Gustavus (PAGS) the south route over Elfing Cove (PAEL) seaplane port then to Hoonah (PAOH) and then on to Haines (PAHN) is real pretty.  Can break it into 2 parts to have short flights, like PAGS to PAOH, then PAOH to PAHN.

Stewart (CZST) to Ketchikan (PAKT) is nice too.  And you can do bush flights onto rivers or lakes from an airport too with a floatplane.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

You might want to try 3W5 to 1S2. My all-time favorite short flight.............Doug

As I read the first post I immediately thought about the early ORBX airports I always enjoyed and still revisit on many occasions. You picked the exact same two as I was about to submit Doug :)

Regards,Roger

• Thanks 1

KBHB to KPWM is a nice flight, but starting at Bar Harbor there are two ORBX freeware airports that make a nice destination: KAUG, Augusta ME, and KLEW, Auburn Lewiston ME.  Both are just a little closer than Portland, about 30minutes in the Mooney.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sticking to New England, another favorite is either Groton New London (KGON) or Block Island (KBID) to Nantucket (KACK). You can do this VIA the MVY FOR (114.5) for a nice overflight on Marthas Vineyard.  All nice ORBX scenery.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the West Coast, Ziggy.  Pearson Field [KVUO] west down the Columbia River to the Pacific - right turn at Astoria, then north up the coast a bit to Bowerman Field [KHQM] in Hoquaim.

Or if you are adventurous type, head southwest out of Palm Springs [KPSP] up and over the San Jacinto Mountains to Gillespie Field [KSEE] on the north side of San Diego.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff here!

I have to agree, Concrete to Darrington has got to be one of the best flights for sure, and anything from Alaska down the West coast is certainly a must fly.

I am going to try some of these East cost flights, I’ve only dabbled a bit out of Bar  Harbour, I’m not super familiar with the east coast so thanks for the suggestions!

keep em coming!!!

This is much appreciated!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hawaii is great for short hops, but since this is Orbx forums... 

Southern Alaska is a lot fun

Seattle area - PNW is great

SoCal - LA Basin to Santa Paula, Santa Barbara, Big Bear, Catalina, Palm Springs, etc... 

NorCal - Bay Area to Monterey, Half Moon Bay, Tahoe area, Napa / Sonoma ( two of my favorites are Shelter Cove [0Q5] on the north coast and Columbia [o22] in the foothills of the Sierras )

+1 on New England - Boston to the Cape and the Islands...  Flying into Nantucket is fun... and hoping ORBX decides to do Martha's Vineyard as well ( hint hint )

Also, Central Rockies - ski country... Denver to Eagle Co, Telluride or Aspen 

Florida and the Keys / Bahamas aren't bad - but you really need photoscenery to make it work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Well - I tend to mostly fly where I fly for real - the Northeast USA - I learned to fly out of - KPOU Duchess County NY - so that's where most flights originate and it's been nicely improved by the ORBX Freeware guys - ORBX payware destinations vary - KBID Block Island State Airport - KACK Nantucket Memorial Airport - 2B2/6B6 Plum Island Airport & Minute Man Air Field - KBHB Bar Harbor Airport... Fortunately - New England offers countless ORBX freeware destinations as well... I'd like to see ORBX hit some payware destinations in the Mid Atlantic region so I could head south sometime... KNEW in New Orleans Lake Front Airport (ORBX Freeware) down to any destination in addon rich Florida is a hoot as well - usually in my Lear or a fast turboprop due to the distance involved... Last one was from KNEW to KMTH Marathon Key... KNEW would be a great candidate for payware - has a beautiful approach over Lake Pontchartrain... Latin VFR's KEYW Key West is a favorite as well...

KNEW from Superbowl Sunday - note all the BizJets:

neworleans_lakefront.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ziggy!

The Orbx freeware airports are an excellent place where you can identify some really good North American airports.

As I am normally solely a long-haul pilot of the B777, I chose to fly to most of the freeware airports having runways longer than 7000 ft. I used Navigraph charts to determine these.

I have made videos of arrivals and departures from these airports. You may like to choose some of these.

I have been most impressed by the high quality of these airport sceneries.

I hope this helps.:)

Edited by Richard McDonald Woods
  • Thanks 1

Hi...

Also a great resource for choosing a flight between the countless ORBX Freeware and Payware airports - this map was created and maintained by a guy over on AvSim - it's fairly current although I noticed some of the East Coast payware products are missing...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM&ll=44.47393551578897%2C-74.76832005249218&z=6

Regards,
Scott

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teecee said:

It's not Orbx, but you might like to download some of the dozens of small ports in  the Northern USA port available at Misty Moorings  (RTMM) ..Great for short flights on both land and water.. Teecee.

Thanks Teecee,

I’ve got everything RTMM has to offer as well as Tongass fjords, I have flown to almost all of the locations using Air Hauler and absolutely love what the good people at RTMM have to offer us, truly amazing what they do for our hobby.

• Thanks 1

Long Island, NY south shore

Start at KHWV make sure to taxi by the fuel area and see a guy next to his model plane. Take off head south and fly over the bay to Fire Island and fly east till you get to Moriches Inlet. This inlet ends Fire Island and starts the Hamptons. Turn north at this inlet and it’s a short flight to 1N2 Spadaro. Set up an approach on the left runway which is the grass one, get your speed down it’s very short. This is actually Lufker Airport.

Taxi to the cut near the middle of the runway and head over to Spadaro Airport. Make a left onto the paved runway, past my hangar near the car. I keep my Zenith 701 and a couple ultralights. Take off from 36 and turn east. Fly over KFOK Gabreski and head to KHTO East Hampton Airport. Many Movie Stars have summer homes here. Take off and head to Block Island and further to Nantucket both Orbx payware.

the others are all freeware by Neil Hill. Enjoy!

712E10A5-E365-4B86-8779-7C85FFB907BB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brian is so right!  I've never done this exact flight, but I've been into each of these airports, and he's right. The Orbx presentation of these airports is great, and while the landclass representation of LI isn't perfect, it is pretty good.

Ken (based at KFRG).

• Like 2

I started seriously sim flying in 1998, and started in the US, that's where I live, and have never stopped. I have kept a log of all of my flights done to date, and continue to do so. I have mostly ORBX addon airports, as well as their free ones. Ga only and have around 3000 legs flown to date. Been north, south, east, west, Canada, and Alaska. On my way back to Alaska now, with lots of stops in BC and Canada enroute. Thanks for lookin'.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 9:32 AM, scottb613 said:

KNEW in New Orleans Lake Front Airport (ORBX Freeware) down to any destination in addon rich Florida is a hoot as well - usually in my Lear or a fast turboprop due to the distance involved... Last one was from KNEW to KMTH Marathon Key... KNEW would be a great candidate for payware - has a beautiful approach over Lake Pontchartrain... 

KNEW from Superbowl Sunday - note all the BizJets:

neworleans_lakefront.jpg

What a coincidence about KNEW - I just flew out of there last Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/michael.copp.35/videos/10155560087860474/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Michael Copp said:

What a coincidence about KNEW - I just flew out of there last Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/michael.copp.35/videos/10155560087860474/

Hi Michael,

Happy to see you getting around - what a beautiful video and gorgeous day for flying... Looks like fun - it's been a while since I've been in a C172 - the stall horn brings back memories... Is there a YouTube direct link - not a fan of FB ?

I like how ORBX has done the delta - I do find myself using that airport to visit the Big Easy quite often... Yep - would be high on my list for payware in an area widely neglected in our sim... Thanks to the ORBX Freeware guys for doing this one...

Regards,

Scott 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, scottb613 said:

Hi Michael,

Happy to see you getting around - what a beautiful video and gorgeous day for flying... Looks like fun - it's been a while since I've been in a C172 - the stall horn brings back memories... Is there a YouTube direct link - not a fan of FB ?

I like how ORBX has done the delta - I do find myself using that airport to visit the Big Easy quite often... Yep - would be high on my list for payware in an area widely neglected in our sim... Thanks to the ORBX Freeware guys for doing this one...

Regards,

Scott 

I think there was a "hair trigger" on that stall horn (I wonder if they somehow have it adjusted to go off a little earlier for the students or something).

I copied the video up to YouTube as well, for those Facebook un-followers out there:

For the scenery developers out there who enjoy Art Deco building design, the terminal building is an absolute treasure (Jarrad "Felts Field" Marshall, are you reading this...?):

41838939_10155559648065474_2227432771997

• Like 2

Orbx's PNW has a lot of airports in close proximity that are great for short VFR flights.

It also has great variety: islands, mountains, valleys, cities, wilderness.

There are many more airports in the area too, these are just the Orbx payware and freeware ones, including the seaplane bases.

You can pick a starting point and fly from airport to airport until you are out of time. :)

335697274_OrbxairportsroutesNW.thumb.jpg.5b24b1203fe65207541bc505d6e0ce96.jpg

Note: This is a section from the Orbx Product Map.

I manually added the Orbx freeware airports and seaplane bases. (KHQM, 2S1, 7WA3, CAX6, CAC8, CAG8, YRC is just off the map)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bassman said:

Just a reminder guys that Orbx has a devoted sub-section for flight plans. 

This is True, I really should have posted this in the “Flight Plans” Section, makes much more sense.

If it suits the Moderators, Mabey it could be moved there.

• Like 1