Ian's Shed....A few of my favourite things

macca22au

A dear friend left his GWR steam engine to us in his will,  so I have grouped a few 'toys' redolent of our past, and recognising my present relative immobility, to build this collage.

Of course, my flightsim is used every day. with the big 4k screen replacing the three screens, and NaturalPoint etc.  Satisfies me entirely.  The second screen used here for the FMC and Plan-G - and surfing the web during long legs.

Next a model of a Qantas A330, but I will soon add a 787 to my collection.  

Tucked in is a faded photo of a yacht runnning before the wind off Tasmania when I did my first Hobart. We sold our last boat some five years ago, sadly.

On the wall there is a photo of the huge marina in Marseille with the monastery above, taken on a port call there.

Our old friend was a proud Bristolian, and admired everything to do with the history of Great Western Railway.  He also sang in the St Peter, Redcliffe church choir famous in the UK. He flew Gloster Meteors  as a Nasho, and didn't think much of their performance. Curiously he migrated to Bundaberg where he spent much of his later working life.

The ship's model, at the front of the train, is the Queen Elizabeth reminding me of our numerous cruises which I have now brought to a slow walk.

UB1y7w2.jpg

I know that all of you could produce similar photographs or stories of lives well lived. I for one, would like to know them.

• 1 month later...

Hello to one and all 

As a 70 yr old I am one of the younger members  

How times change .

Many Many years ago My Cousin Malcom older than me  was train spotting down were we used to live near the rail sidings , when he saw Mallard taking on coal and water, so  as you did in those days you climbed  the fence and went onto the tracks . Speaking with  the driver he was invited to go back to the engine sheds 2/3 miles away on the foot plate ,absolutely fabulous what a thrill for a young lad . On arriving at the depot, he realised he had no money for the bus fare home,  so naturally he walked home. He was late , so off to bed with a clip on the  ear from his dad , and no tea ,but with a memory he cherishes to this day 

Happy Days 

Kind regards

35 minutes ago, TopHeavy said:

Hello to one and all 

As a 70 yr old I am one of the younger members  

How times change .

Many Many years ago My Cousin Malcom older than me  was train spotting down were we used to live near the rail sidings , when he saw Mallard taking on coal and water, so  as you did in those days you climbed  the fence and went onto the tracks . Speaking with  the driver he was invited to go back to the engine sheds 2/3 miles away on the foot plate ,absolutely fabulous what a thrill for a young lad . On arriving at the depot, he realised he had no money for the bus fare home,  so naturally he walked home. He was late , so off to bed with a clip on the  ear from his dad , and no tea ,but with a memory he cherishes to this day 

Happy Days 

Kind regards

Hey TopHeavy. Good comments. I'm constantly struck by how the things we kids used to be able to do have been shut away from modern kids by everyone's fear of liability lawsuits. Seems to me to be a great loss for the kids.

I always wanted to get a live steam engine but just for a display as well. I would probably fire it up a few times to see but keep it as a display piece. Mine would be a Canadian National 2-6-2 Mountain Class, would be a fairly pricey engine to get one to New Zealand.

I also have an aircraft model like that but an Air New Zealand A320, just won it a couple of weeks ago along with the anniversary book from Air New Zealand, really happy about that as I don't usually win anything. 

15 minutes ago, TopHeavy said:

Hi and well done. Check out this YouTube video a guy built his own steam train absolutely brilliant I think it took him 7/8 years enjoy 

It is a great hobby, but not for me. I wouldn't have the patience to build one and steam under pressure can be deadly if you get it wrong.

Top Heavy and others, thank you for many great comments.  But our friend bought the engine, imported it from the UK, and neither he did, nor will I fire it up. But as a lad in NZ the only trains were steam, and this gift was a wonderful reminder. And the rest of the memorabilia is to recall a full if not perfect life.

I was reading through this thread thoroughly enjoying the content and comments. Made me recall a comment my 6 (now eight) yr old grandson made to me. Keep two things in mind: 1. I’m an avid Harley rider and enthusiast. He’s always seen me on a Harley. 2. When he asked me the question, he was dead serious.

His comment/question was, “Hey Pappy, in the olden days before there were Harley’s, did you ride a horse?” Told him that was also before horses too, so I walked.  (Brat)

Archived