Some history lessons

Stillwater

Lest we forget.

I thought this would be a short flight, so I chose the Mitchellwing from Oberpfaffenhofen...

eYy40y0.jpg

... and over Kloster Andechs. Famous for their strong dark Doppelbock Dunkel beer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klosterbrauerei_Andechs . Be careful!

m6j54b4.jpg

But moving back north was so slow I took privilege of simming and switched to a faster plane in flight, while turning over the Ammersee at Herrsching.

HmJ77lq.jpg

Airfield Fürstenfeldbruck. The location of the final part of the massacre during the Olympic Games of 1972 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre . Eleven hostages, a policeman and 5 terrorists were killed on that day.

SPs0t4E.jpg

Just slightly north: Dachau. A city with about 50.000 inhabitants, but mostly remembered because of the Nazi concentration camp, which was already built 1933 just after these ... took power in Germany. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_concentration_camp . Documented murders at this place are in the dimension of 30.000s, but given the fact that 30.000 prisoners were found alive when the camp was liberated by the US army in 1945 it can be assumed the number of killings is underestimated. Today it is a memorial site.

DYqkq4N.jpg

Oberschleißheim, with its castle, the airfield and the 2006-built football stadium in the background. The stadium can be used very nicely for VFR navigation into EDDM.

EqHINoH.jpg

And that is how my Munich looks since moving to P3D (orbx GES, Vector, AEC just completed). Kind of confusing.

jqhMUjs.jpg

3 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great shots of Germany and thanks for the history lesson!!!!!!!!!!

You´re welcome, John.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice tour but sad Gerold.  I remember that Olympics, it was a tragedy, :( and Dachau, what more can be said of such a terrible time :(

Thank you for the comment, Jack.

36 minutes ago, jean marc said:

....   Dachau  .... .... to read  "If This Is a Man" by Primo Levi  and "Maus" by Art Spiegelman (graphic novel)  ... all is said in these 2 books ...  

I have read his autobiographic book "Il sistema periodico", which blends history with his (and my) science. It was selected by the Royal Institution of Great Britain as "The best science book ever" in 2006.

The "Maus" comics are also impressive.

23 hours ago, jankees said:

Nice shots, and another Primo Levi fan here

Good to hear. He has deserved the honour for his work. And life.

18 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Beautiful shots, stillwater. And a meaningful tour. Thanks for both!

You´re welcome Rodger.

17 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Very good screenshots, Gerold, and interesting information. Regarding Munich, I'd recommend you T2G's EDDM, which is all in all very beautiful (when you got the scenery layers right ;)).

Thanks Lars. I do have the Aerosoft version and do not want to invest a second time. May I say I am very disappointed seeing that a big scenery provider is not able to adapt their sceneries within 16 months after release of p3dv4.

15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks for the history Gerold, these sad times have to be remembered for the future.

Beautiful set though with some excellent POIs amongst the landscape.

Sadly Munich is your fault for leaving the lawn mowers in PNG.:huh:

Thanks for the comment Martyn.

Yes Munich is my fault, but I have dealt with the orbx team (not Mr Lawn mower Ken Hall, but Scott Harmes from the other side of Bass Strait) and got the grass away from the runways now.

15 hours ago, adambar said:

Splendid post all around Gerold, nice work! :)

Thank you Adam!

12 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Gerold. Good history lessons. "Lest we Forget". 

You are totally right Karl. We have to remember the past not to make the same mistakes and avoid turning democracies into something ugly.

11 hours ago, paulb said:

Another great flight Gerold. A good geography lesson and reminder of history :).

Thank you Paul for both meanings.

11 hours ago, Ray Farrugia said:

Nice shots Gerold - as always!

cheers

Thanks Ray!

9 hours ago, mikee said:

Beautiful Shots Gerold :)

Thank you Mikee!

4 hours ago, jean marc said:

thanks Gerold I will read it !! :)

Take your time, as the chapters are not necessarily directly linked.

4 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Quite the post Gerold!  The articles were very interesting although sad :( except for “beer” one of course, the scenery very nice and the narration, as usual, superb! :)

Thank you Roger. I could not avoid spoiling the positive beer part of history with the other 2. That´s where and how it happened.

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Roger. I could not avoid spoiling the positive beer part of history with the other 2. That´s where and how it happened.

My memory is not at all what it should be and it was never very good anyway, but it seems to me that while I was in Vietnam I drank some Eisbock beer, along with some Ba Muoi Ba (33 Beer), Tiger Beer and various other brands (hic)!  But like I say not sure memory serves me correctly over the past 50 years or so! B)

Archived