First airplane ride

adambar

My first plane ride was when I was in college in Stillwater, Ok.  A guy flew into Stillwater to spend time with his daughter during homecoming weekend (she was dating one of my fraternity brothers). He and his daughter came over to our fraternity house and we all sat around and talked for awhile.  After awhile he then said he needed a lift out to the airport because he was going to have to sleep in his plane because all of the hotels in Stillwater were full.  I told him he could stay at the fraternity house because we had plenty of room.  The next day he took me for a flight in his Cessna 172  and we flew all around the Stillwater area for about and hour. 

My first flight was 30 minute air experience flight on 15 August 1960 in a Chipmunk from RAF Ternhill.  I was on Summer Camp with my ATC squadron at the time.

It opened up a whole new world for me.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and the next flight, two days later, in an Avro Anson.  That lasted 35 minutes.

12 hours ago, lauriebe said:

My first flight was 30 minute air experience flight on 15 August 1960 in a Chipmunk from RAF Ternhill.  I was on Summer Camp with my ATC squadron at the time.

It opened up a whole new world for me.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and the next flight, two days later, in an Avro Anson.  That lasted 35 minutes.

Wow, lauriebe. Can't have a much better starting experience than a Chipmunk. Lucky you!

My problem is, I was so young when we started doing hops from the UK to Holland, I haven't got a clue as to what we were actually flying in! My first real vivid memory (circa 1960's) was clambering into a BEA Vickers Viscount. I treasured the 'flight bag' my dad bought for me for a very long time!

The second memory is that of being reassured that the Aviation Traders 'Carvair' being loaded up with vehicles at Southend Airport, REALLY would be able to fly. That was a relief, because  we'd be getting on it! I remember it landing at Ostend in Belgium, and then continuing on to Eindhoven (unless that's some kinda distorted recall)?

Then (1970s) came the DC3 era. Yes, I realise that most airlines had retired their fleet by then, but Air Anglia, based at Norwich Airport had a few examples, and Norwich to Schiphol became a regular route for us. Cockpit visits for us kids was fairly routine, and an anticipated part of the flight.

THEN came the day when (standing on the viewing terrace at Schiphol) we gazed across the apron, anticipating our yellow, white and black Dakota, only to see a yellow, white and black 'thing' called a F-27 Fokker Friendship. What a high pitched screech of a trip back to blighty THAT was! I blame my bloody tinnitus on those Dart engines!

The last 'classic' I remember flying in was a Dan Air BAC-111 from Gatwick to Alicante in the 1980s. Everything since has been a bit lacking in charisma :-[.

My first flight was a Handley Page Hermes mid 1950’s. We came back from Singapore after a three year stint at Changi and Seletar. I remember the long haul flight, multi stop-overs and musty hotels. We had a very hard landing at Blackbushe, still un-nerving to this day.

My father was an RAF Sunderland pilot and was posted back to the UK to Pembroke Dock. In the very early 50’s he was one of the pilots who flew his Sunderland for the Greenland Expedition. The first time those aircraft ever landed into unknown waters amidst bergy bits and ice floes. I am still in awe at the pilots who took that leap of faith and water landed not knowing if the hard ice would penetrate the “hull”.

He brought the sled dogs back from the Expedition, to the UK, in his aircraft and my brothers and I had so much fun as we grew up ribbing him about “clean out” duties. He died many years ago but I still have his flight logs from the 40’s, 50’ and on.

I guess I digress a little but the “first plane ride” post took me back decades.

Thanks,

Roger

My first flight was on business. Must be all of 50 years ago.  I had to take a group of prizewinning representatives to my firm's headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany.  None of us had flown before but there was one rep' who was absolutely terrified.  He was a great big guy, at least 6' tall and built (you know what I mean?).  What a performance.  Two of us had to accompany him up the steps from the Apron and get him to his seat.  He wouldn't take the window seat so I had to.  Didn't see much though I was too busy trying to keep him from trying to escape.  What a nightnmare.

We landed at Frankfurt and all had a super three days in Darmstadt and then the time came for us to go back home.  You'd think this chap had been flying all his life.  He spent the flight back regailing us all with his comedy routine which included a lot of dirty jokes.  He had us and the flight crew in stitches.

Then I went back to my rather humdrum job as Sales Office Manager and he and the others all went back to their territories selling ladies hairdressing products!

John

Archived