Freeware airport requests

Thank you for doing KBMI (Bloomington/Normal, IL.  I just realized you did it.  Noticed there was an improved landclass to the BN area.  Drive by it all the time.  Makes a great flight to Hawley's in Peoria.

If you ever want to do KCMI (Champaign/Urbana) I'll put something extra in your stocking next Xmas.  The landclass for Champaign/Urbana is a mess.  No sign of the University of Illinois hardly.

It seems that while the freeware airports do a good job of peppering the northeast and mid-Atlantic US, Western New York (and Upstate NY in general) is largely devoid of these improvements.  Might I suggest a selection which would fill that gap up nicely while also complementing the ORBX "butter zone" of existing smaller fields:

0G0 - North Buffalo Suburban

4G2 - Hamburg Inc

5B2 - Saratoga County

5G0 - LeRoy

62NZ - Lockport Cambria (mostly a gliderport)

7G0 - Ledgedale Airpark

89NY - Maxson Airfield

9G0 - Buffalo Airfield

D38 - Canandaigua

D80 - Olcott-Newfane

KALB - Albany Int'l

KART - Watertown Int'l

KBGM - Greater Binghamton/Edwin A Link Field

KBQR* - Buffalo-Lancaster Regional (was "D77" up until a few years ago)

KDKK - Chautauqua County/Dunkirk

KDSV - Dansville Municipal

KELM - Elmira/Corning Regional

KELZ - Wellsville Municipal Tarantine FIeld

KGFL - Floyd Bennett Memorial

KGVQ - Genesee County

KIAG - Niagara Falls Int'l (current/former AFB)

KJHW - Chautauqua County/Jamestown

KMAL - Malone-Dufort

KMSS - Massena Int'l/Richards Field

KOGS - Ogdensburg Int'l

KOLE - Cattaraugus County/Olean

KPBG - Plattsburgh Int'l (former AFB)

KPEO - Penn Yan

KPTD - Potsdam Municipal Damon Field

KRME - Griffiss Int'l (former AFB)

KROC - Greater Rochester Int'l

KSCH - Schenectady County

KSDC - Williamson-Sodus

KSWF - Stewart Int'l

KSYR - Syracuse Hancock Int'l

N66 - Oneonta Municipal

A few of these (particularly KROC and KSYR) are perhaps a bit on the larger side but there are to my knowledge no significant offerings available.  (Of editorial interest, in real life I've flown out of 9G0 (in the left seat), KBQR, KSYR, and skydived out of KMAL.)

Also, a few other suggestions outside Upstate NY:

KAVP - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Int'l

KERI - Erie Int'l

KHPN - Westchester County

KMHT - Manchester-Boston Regional

Finally, I'd also like to second the previous requests for:

TFFG - Grand Case

TQPF - Clayton J Lloyd Int'l

I've made some improvements to both of those for my personal use (TQPF was recently expanded), but they really deserve the professional treatment to play with their brethren TNCM, TNCS and TFFJ in that tight little cluster of some of the worlds' more interesting airports.  I've been to or right by 3 of them in real life, hopefully get to knock off the other 2 someday soon.

I promise I'm done - I'd be appreciative to see even just one of all these make the cut!  :)

Edited by Sabretooth78
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you, Todd, and all of the great ORBX Team, for our suggested FTX Airport dreams!  I'd love to see (KOGD) Ogden-Hinkley Regional Airport, Ogden, Utah!  It has been my "Home-Base" for years!  Payware hasn't touched it and they probably won't.  Although I currently retired medically from a 20-year career in the U.S. Air Force, I now live near Fort Walton Beach, Florida.  But my "home-town" was in Clearfield, Utah.  My Father was stationed at Hill Air Force Base, and I was there too, during my Air Force career!  To make this long story short, I lived in Ogden, Utah; and would watch the aircraft fly-in to (KOGD).  Please, if you find some time, remember KOGD.

Edited by Paul Macfarlane
Fort Walton Beach is next to the city of Mary Esther, FL.

Hello Larry

I would be very happy for CYSH

I enjoyed my first flight hours with a old Cessna 172 in Smith Falls :-) 

Shortly after my first flight lesson, the hangar (in a caravan) burned down. But now the Club have a great new modern Building....

Ted :-)

DSC01174.JPG

I am missing airports belonging to the "The Air Capital of the World": Wichita

If I am right, aircraft companies like Textron (Beechcraft, Cessna, Hawker), Cessna, Bombardier Learjet, etc are sitting there with their airports.

But I find none of these places for FSX, such as

KCEA

KBEX

KICT

perh. KIAB

I would be glad to get these airports in a nice representation with the relvant company buildings in FSX, for free or even as PW!

Thank you for taking these suggestions into your consideration!

Ernst

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the wonderful array of free enhanced airports you have made available.

if I could throw my hat in the ring and suggest an airport, would somebody possibly consider doing CZNL Nelson British Columbia?

Cheers and Thanks again,

Nathan.

Sorry it took so long to reply, thanks Larry I will have to go for a flight back there :)

Just another quick question? Does that mean it updates with the North American freeware, or is it another download? If so, where can I find it?

Cheers

Nathan

Edited by ftwd

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, ftwd said:

Sorry it took so long to reply, thanks Larry I will have to go for a flight back there :)

Just another quick question? Does that mean it updates with the North American freeware, or is it another download? If so, where can I find it?

Cheers

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

What it means is there is now an ORBX  "payware" region that covers the area - so no "freeware" airports will be made in this area... You have to buy the Northern Rockies Region to get it... I just picked that up over Christmas specifically to get Nelson - as there is a YouTube channel that is based there with tons of high quality HD videos of aircraft arriving and departing the airport... It's kind of nice replicating some of the flights I've seen in the videos - ORBX included the unique bridge which is a nice touch... Would love to see this airport get the full ORBX airport treatment as there is a great deal of visual interest in the area and it seems to be a cool resort destination...

Here's the YouTube channel which I like:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHDAviation/videos?disable_polymer=1

Regards,
Scott 

Edited by scottb613
  • Upvote 1

On 1/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, Sabretooth78 said:

It seems that while the freeware airports do a good job of peppering the northeast and mid-Atlantic US, Western New York (and Upstate NY in general) is largely devoid of these improvements.  Might I suggest a selection which would fill that gap up nicely while also complementing the ORBX "butter zone" of existing smaller fields:

0G0 - North Buffalo Suburban

4G2 - Hamburg Inc

5B2 - Saratoga County

5G0 - LeRoy

62NZ - Lockport Cambria (mostly a gliderport)

7G0 - Ledgedale Airpark

89NY - Maxson Airfield

9G0 - Buffalo Airfield

D38 - Canandaigua

D80 - Olcott-Newfane

KALB - Albany Int'l

KART - Watertown Int'l

KBGM - Greater Binghamton/Edwin A Link Field

KBQR* - Buffalo-Lancaster Regional (was "D77" up until a few years ago)

KDKK - Chautauqua County/Dunkirk

KDSV - Dansville Municipal

KELM - Elmira/Corning Regional

KELZ - Wellsville Municipal Tarantine FIeld

KGFL - Floyd Bennett Memorial

KGVQ - Genesee County

KIAG - Niagara Falls Int'l (current/former AFB)

KJHW - Chautauqua County/Jamestown

KMAL - Malone-Dufort

KMSS - Massena Int'l/Richards Field

KOGS - Ogdensburg Int'l

KOLE - Cattaraugus County/Olean

KPBG - Plattsburgh Int'l (former AFB)

KPEO - Penn Yan

KPTD - Potsdam Municipal Damon Field

KRME - Griffiss Int'l (former AFB)

KROC - Greater Rochester Int'l

KSCH - Schenectady County

KSDC - Williamson-Sodus

KSWF - Stewart Int'l

KSYR - Syracuse Hancock Int'l

N66 - Oneonta Municipal

A few of these (particularly KROC and KSYR) are perhaps a bit on the larger side but there are to my knowledge no significant offerings available.  (Of editorial interest, in real life I've flown out of 9G0 (in the left seat), KBQR, KSYR, and skydived out of KMAL.)

Also, a few other suggestions outside Upstate NY:

KAVP - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Int'l

KERI - Erie Int'l

KHPN - Westchester County

KMHT - Manchester-Boston Regional

Finally, I'd also like to second the previous requests for:

TFFG - Grand Case

TQPF - Clayton J Lloyd Int'l

I've made some improvements to both of those for my personal use (TQPF was recently expanded), but they really deserve the professional treatment to play with their brethren TNCM, TNCS and TFFJ in that tight little cluster of some of the worlds' more interesting airports.  I've been to or right by 3 of them in real life, hopefully get to knock off the other 2 someday soon.

I promise I'm done - I'd be appreciative to see even just one of all these make the cut!  :)

As someone who lives and did my GA PPL in this area those would are some fantastic additions.  The Finger Lakes region makes for some magnificent scenery.  I would also add KFZY.   to this list.  Nice dual runway GA airport with some pretty good landmarks for vfr. 

• Like 1

For me Alaska or norway. Makes sense if you have the full regions.

NOME and Barrow in Alaska would be a great start.

Thnx
Barrow is on the Orbx 2018 roadmap for a payware airport. It will be great to have it.

A few more AK airport suggestions:

PAKW Klawock
PAWG Wrangell
PAPG Petersburg
PAFE Kake
PASI Sitka
PAOH Hoonah
PAEL Elfin Cove
PAHN Haines
PAGY Skagway

Thanks

On 2/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, caleb1 said:

Barrow is on the Orbx 2018 roadmap for a payware airport. It will be great to have it.

A few more AK airport suggestions:

PAKW Klawock
PAWG Wrangell
PAPG Petersburg
PAFE Kake
PASI Sitka
PAOH Hoonah
PAEL Elfin Cove
PAHN Haines
PAGY Skagway

Thanks

And yet another few more in Alaska twood also be nice to have......

PAMR  Merrill Field -Anchorage (Busiest general aviation field in the state.)

PFTO   Tok Junction

PAFB    Fort Wainwright AAF  (Home to Alaska Fire Service and Smokejumpers)

PAKN   King Salmon

PAMC  McGrath

Edited by Chock 6
misspelled twood

Airfields already in regions won't be done as freeware.  as well, I would doubt that airfields included in the excellent Tongass Fjords would be either (not an orbx product, but developed by current and former ORBX devs for fsaddon, and very useable in v4 with the right installation steps)  TF covers Klawock, Wrangell, Petersburg, Kake, Sitka, and Hoonah (and Sitka and Petersburg are very well done in full by Bill Womack)  ORBX SAK already has Elfin Cove, Haines, Skagway, and Merrill.  Also, If I'm not wrong, King Salmon has already been released in a freeware pack.

My humble Alaska request would be for PACX Coldfoot and anything nearby in the Brooks Range

• Like 1

Airfields already in regions won't be done as freeware.  as well, I would doubt that airfields included in the excellent Tongass Fjords would be either (not an orbx product, but developed by current and former ORBX devs for fsaddon, and very useable in v4 with the right installation steps)  TF covers Klawock, Wrangell, Petersburg, Kake, Sitka, and Hoonah (and Sitka and Petersburg are very well done in full by Bill Womack)  ORBX SAK already has Elfin Cove, Haines, Skagway, and Merrill.  Also, If I'm not wrong, King Salmon has already been released in a freeware pack.

My humble Alaska request would be for PACX Coldfoot and anything nearby in the Brooks Range
Thanks for the clarification.

I own SAK so I will be sure to check out Hains, Skagway etc.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, thunderstreak said:

My picks would be CYHM and CPP6.

CYHM is a major cargo hub with some passenger service in Southern Ontario between Toronto and London. 

CPP6 is a small GA airport just outside YHM’s control zone with about 30 aircraft calling it home.

I'll add them to the list. Probably will do CPP6 first as it is easier. Hamilton will take a bit of time as it is larger.

• Like 1

KRST - Rochester (MN) International Airport, please :)

KONA - Winona Conrad Municipal

KFKA - Fillmore County Airport

Some nice northern MN airports maybe?

KBJI - Bemidji Regional Airport

KGPZ - Grand Rapids (MN)/Itasca County Airport

KBDU - Baudette International Airport

KBRD - Brainerd Lakes Regional Airport

KDTL - Detroit Lakes Wething Airport

You did a real nice job on KCHU, I like to fly there! :)

Welcome to the forums!  Boeing field at the level that we are discussing in this thread is included with the ORBX PNW region, so it is unlikely the devs will make a freeware version,  but if you like flying in this area PNW is what you will want anyway...

and, sorry, can't help it... the Boeings don't "come from" Boeing field, they come from Paine, and the mountain is 52 miles away, so you are probably all good on climbout.  

• Like 1

Hi everybody! :)

For ppl who like to post their pictures on Flickr, I made a tag "FTX Global NA Airports" that I'm starting to put pix at those airports just so we can all see what they all look like.  If we put the airport code as a tag, too, then we can find each one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/ftxglobalnaairports

I hope ppl will want to join in! :)

-Buffy

PS: I made tags for the openLC areas and for the Regions, too, if ppl want to join in on those too.

Edited by Buffy Foster

42 minutes ago, Sabretooth78 said:

I recently came across another interesting little airport near Jamestown, NY - Fairbank Farms (NY89)

Google Maps

Evidently it's a private airport that in addition to its paved runway has a "runway pond" complete with end turning bays and a water taxiway to what appears to be a hangar that is also accessible from the paved runway.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to seeing how well the default airport lines up with the Vector pond (assuming it even exists in Vector).

Nice one! I’d vote for this too!

• Like 1

HI Troyboy,

KBOI is one of the airports in the ORBX Central Rocky Mountains (CRM) region.  It won't be done as freeware.

@ Sabretooth, I'll add NY89 to my list of proposed freeware airports, it looks interesting.

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 5:37 AM, ShawnG said:

PNW is what you will want anyway...

Got it. :P

and, sorry, can't help it... the Boeings don't "come from" Boeing field, they come from Paine

You sort of have me there. I've spent a lot of time at North Boeing Field. The Seattle Delivery Center has delivered more than 12,000 commercial airplanes from Boeing Field since the first Boeing 707 was delivered in 1958. It's where they "hand over the keys" to customers.

From a marketing perspective, do some UK regionals. If they are "Lite" they will run well and help you sell FTX UK regions.

UK regions are heavy hitters and many do not use them as they cannot be moderated in the way that Vectors can, and we like to use UK2000 UK airports. Often we have to choose !

Give us a Lite version of Manchester, Gatwick, Leeds Bradford Cardiff, Dublin and Edinburgh. You could even charge for a bundle. Given they will blend better with the FTX seasons, you would be onto a winner.

Hi robertkoon,

KEKN has been completed and is part of the next Pack due in April.  I agree, it looks nice nestled in the hills.

@PcDrummer, I've added your suggestions to my list of proposed airports.

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1