So you have Pre-ordered. Which RTX2080 Card? Why?

HiFlyer

So I ended up ordering a 2080ti.

Not necessarily the one I wanted, but the one I was fast enough to get before the zillions of people competing with me for the card managed to hit the buy button.

I sat and watched for days, refreshing the screen and leaping to my computer every time NowInStock hit me with an availability alert. Again and again, anything over 45 seconds meant somebody beat me to it!! :(

Finally I "won" and I have a card pre-ordered. (At like 4am in the morning, after my nowinstock alert, which I had at full volume, woke up everyone within 5 miles)

Did everyone go through this? Did you get exactly the card you wanted, or only what was available, like me?

If you got the one you wanted, which one, and why did you pick that one in particular?

Finally, do you think it was all worth it? Will P3D go to warp speed? Will X-Plane 11 run like butter in VR? Will Aerofly become so fast that it meets itself coming and going?

My Precious: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500434

14-500-434-V05.jpg

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Finally, do you think it was all worth it? Will P3D go to warp speed? Will X-Plane 11 run like butter in VR? Will Aerofly become so fast that it meets itself coming and going?

I don't truly mean to be mean or provocative,  but if you don't already know the answer to that last question, why spend that amount of money on a graphics card?  :)

Last year I meant to buy a 1080ti, but ran into the crypto mining bubble, and while my aging gtx980 isn't ideal for todays sims, I was not going to spend 1300 dollars on a graphics card.  I still have the 980, and I'm no more inclined to spend that amount on a single system component than I was in January.  I've been waiting for the new cards to drop as everyone else has, but I'm disappointed in that what was historically a mild bump in pricing has become a huge jump.  I was hoping the market would reject the pricing, but if your experiences are the norm, I guess that won't happen either.

possibly I might buy a 2070 when they are available, or trawl around for a 1080ti deal, but until we have some idea what these new cards can do for our particular hobby, I'd be hesitant to jump in; they are going to be designed for the latest games rather than us.  

1 hour ago, ShawnG said:

I don't truly mean to be mean or provocative,  but if you don't already know the answer to that last question, why spend that amount of money on a graphics card? 

Simply put, nobody knows the answer to that question really, except Nvidia, their partners and possibly selected testers under NDA. All the rest of us have is hopes and dubious leaks, and each of us makes the leap for their own reasons based on that. 

I know what my reasons are: lifetime early adopter, hope, and hype. But I'm curious about why others felt the jump was worth it (or not)

I'm also making a bet that if things turn out well, I'll be able to crank up the VR like mad, and also be ready for the next-generation of headsets (These upcoming cards have a new type of high bandwidth VR connection that I suspect wont go unused for long......)

Also, keep in mind that this is still just a pre-order, so depending on how things shake out in the lead up to release, some of us will be either congratulating ourselves, or hastily cancelling before our cards are charged.

Also don't forget that many of us will be selling our old cards (1080ti) to take the sting out of the purchase.

I am so glad that I decided to stick with single monitor @ 1920x1080 resolution flight simulation, because there is no way on Earth that I would be spending the ridiculous amounts of money that are charged for these top end graphics cards. I just hope that the RTX 2070 is a fraction of the price of a 2080 Ti, otherwise I will probably be looking for a second hand 1080 or 1070 when the time comes for me to purchase a new PC.

Honestly, I doubt that this 2080Ti will provide you anything more than 20% in Prepar3d v4.x. Why? The real new deal about those graphics cards is the ray tracing. As P3D does not support this, you will not profit from this with the 2080Ti. However, as you already said, only the first reviews will finally answer the question how much the performance is increased in software not supporting raytracing. But if you compare the pure specs of the 1080Ti vs. 2080Ti, I would guestimate that my 20% are not far off what you will really get.

The question if 20% performance increase for P3D by switching from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti is worth 1000$ everybody has to answer by himself. To me, the performance increase would be not enough, that's why I wait for reviews. Besides that, this pre-order pricetag is waaaay to high, I am sure that in 2-3 months, you get a 2080Ti fairly below 1000$. Then I might reconsider it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't pre ordered any and like you HiFlyer I normally upgrade every year too :)

No benchies on these new RTX cards yet, word is very little performance gain in normal games/sims over current 1080/1080 Ti/Titan X cards that dont have Ray Tracing that includes all flight simulation I know of and indeed all games I own like ARMA 3 etc, confirmed benchies are out in 5 days time I read (as opposed to current rumour benchies) might be best to wait until then before ordering ... I am speaking from the perspective of already owning a 12 GB Titan X Pascal though, but if and its a big "IF" there is a significant performance gain over my card in normal non RT titles I may consider one, otherwise and like the forthcoming Intel 9900K that is supposedly good for 5GHz am treating this year as a PC component upgrade "gap year" my 8700K cherry picked and de-lidded and clocked to 5GHz is still burning up everything I throw at it Sim and high end game wise.

This year and instead of my usual PC upgrading I have chose to upgrade other parts of my Sim PC, so far this year have bought a 43" 4K monitor, Virpil Mongoose T-50 stick and base with max extension, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, next on the list for 2018 is the new Virpil dual throttle and perhaps the Honeycomb Yoke if it comes out this year, going to wait until next years gen now before upgrading CPU and GPU and associated motherboard and ram ETC, might be some decent Ray Tracing titles available then ... though I struggle to see anything RT Flight sim coming along for many years now unless LM can build it into P3D somehow and if they can I would guess that will be another new version of P3D requiring new purchase again as it would be a significant upgrade to the series, there is no word or hint that will happen AFAIK though?

Fair play if anyone is overdue a Graphic card upgrade already and does not own a GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti/Titan X already, but these new cards are horrendously expensive for their Ray Tracing ability that I wont use apart from a couple of demo's or something ... I do think Nvidia are having a laugh with these prices too with the RTX 2080Ti especially, perhaps more of us should boycott them for a year or so until they realise their customers are not walking wallets or money tree's ... just IMHO of course, we all do what we gotta do, just not me this time :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived