Good regional treat recommendations

Hi fellow Coots. Recently was enjoying a local PNW treat. It's a candy called "Applets and Cotlets," a candy consisting of apple or apricot concentrate made into a gel dusted with powdered sugar. Another PNW favorite is a Mountain Bar, a vanilla nougat lump covered with chocolate and almond bits in the shape of our local Mount Rainier. And so on.

Recently, JohnY talked about the excellent Yorkshire-local MIles Tea. We ordered some Smuggler's Gold and West Country Original Blend, both of which my tea-drinking wife loves. That got me thinking...

Our Forum members span the globe, which means we as a group can recommend some pretty good regional treats. So I'm putting out the call--what treat(s) would you recommend from your home area? Extra points to those whose recommendation(s) are internet accessible.

20 hours ago, Michael Copp said:

Michael, my wife assures me that if you can supply a recipe she will make me some Blueberry Grunt. So...please, please, please tell me you have a recipe!

5 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

Green chile cheeseburger.  New Mexico runs a contest every year to find the best one.  Of course, it must be made with New Mexico chiles.

Doc, I've heard of the contest. One of our snowbirds said they are the best cheeseburgers ever. Sound like you agree.

21 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Nanaimo bar.Yum:PNanaimo-bar-recipe.jpg.b07274309ae1aa73f5578844c259f7ac.jpg

Flyingleaf, it looks like the Nanaimo Bar can be made at home. Or, if it's a commercial product, who makes it? Your "Yum" seems to fit the photo perfectly.

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Flyingleaf, it looks like the Nanaimo Bar can be made at home. Or, if it's a commercial product, who makes it? Your "Yum" seems to fit the photo perfectly.

Yes Rodger you can make it at home. No cooking or baking involved. Just google the recipe.:PYum.:)

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Michael, my wife assures me that if you can supply a recipe she will make me some Blueberry Grunt. So...please, please, please tell me you have a recipe!

There's actually a recipe included on the web page I posted (it's right below the picture of the delicious dessert, which explains why you didn't see it; your eyes never made it past the photo!):

http://tasteofnovascotia.com/recipes/nova-scotia-blueberry-grunt/

We're mad on Chinese food and the Cinese 'eat as much as you like' called 'Meis' in Taunton is a real treat.  Apart from that I like chocolate, any sort, any time and everywhere.

John

I've had some damn good food in Jackson MS, Teecee… there's some little maw & paw places over there that cook it up right, southern style (I'm from WA state, but I appreciate the food wherever I may roam).

As for Houston, don't even know where to start.  You name it, really.  Fried alligator is good... looks about like what Brad posted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, flyingleaf said:

Nanaimo bar.Yum:PNanaimo-bar-recipe.jpg.b07274309ae1aa73f5578844c259f7ac.jpg

These look good. They just got a mention in a TV show I was watching, a comedy called Schitt's Creek, a very funny Canadian sitcom with Eugene Levy and his son Dan.  It was also the first time I had heard the pronunciation of Nanaimo.  It was similar to what I had in my head :lol:.

Archived