History lessons of country and industry

Stillwater

Takeoff in Ramstein AB, ...

L6AJY0F.jpg

... and heading southwards.

9E53RxU.jpg

There should be the "Teufelstisch" rock below us, but I can´t spot it. It should look great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Table_(Hinterweidenthal)

XDrTcAi.jpg

JIxfQLV.jpg

Trifels (three rock) castle (but which are the 3 rocks?)

43pTBbq.jpg

The village below is St. Johann. The right tip of it is a training and workshop center for BASF employees and the board. Years ago I was running through the hills on the right of the picture, got lost and came back to a street in a village nearby. That became a very long run home...

Xv3ptWT.jpg

Slightly north at the seam of the Pfälzerwald hills to the Rhine valley is Hambach. 

GODfnh0.jpg

The Hambacher Schloss was hosting the first demonstration of Germans to claim a democracy (in 1832). Since then the castle is a symbol for democracy. The demonstration also confirmed the establishment of the combination of black, red and gold as a symbol of a democratic movement for a united Germany. These colours were later used by democratic revolutionaries in the Revolutions of 1848 as a symbol of German unity, which however was not achieved until the unification of 1871 —then to Bismarck's specifications. After World War I, Black-Red-Gold were adopted by the Weimar Republic as the national colours of Germany and are the colors of the modern German flag. An original flag from 1832 is kept in the castle - and orbx has taken her out on top of the building!

xX5UuLT.jpg

Bad Dürkheim, home of the worlds biggest wine barrel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Cask and the worlds largest wine festival, the "sausage market" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurstmarkt , held since 1417.

TqzfuFC.jpg

At Worms we cross the Rhine again eastwards, having the NPP Biblis in sight. Worms also has a famous cathedral, the impressive Nibelung bridge - and is home of the (awfully) sweet Liebfraumilch wine, which is mostly exported https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebfraumilch .

NBLHtiT.jpg

After turning back south we fly over Lampertheim (the city right of the dead Rhine arm). The chemical plant in the middle of the picture is a former Ciba, now BASF plant.

84vyChj.jpg

Here we come to the BASF plant Friesenheimer Insel (left) and the main plant Ludwigshafen on the other side of the Rhine. With over 2000 buildings it is the biggest chemical plant of the world. It has some own, internal bus lines for employees transport and cars without number plates. As these never leave the site.

RHwYcow.jpg

Over the southern end of the BASF plant we miss the Friedrich-Engelhorn-Haus. This former landmark was torn down in 2014, unfortunately. In the 6 years after its completion (1957) it was Germanys highest building, and the top floor was a fantastic canteen. We also see Ludwigshafen city in the middle of the picture, and Mannheim to the left of the Rhine, with its numerous bridges over the Neckar river. 4 things are totally wrong here: 
- Ludwigshafen city has squared roads (in the area between the RheinCenter shopping mall and the main station, between the two bridge roads).
- The Ludwigshafen Rathaus (skyscraper) is missing).
- Mannheim city is a SEVERE mistake in Vector. The famous "squares" are also not depicted! https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratestadt

- The iconic Wasserturm is missing in Mannheim https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheimer_Wasserturm

Yq8DYAy.jpg

Heidelberg. Probably well known to all tourists. And well detailed here!

JaN3CDL.jpg

You can still see Heidelberg in the right background, while I am already flying over the Schwetzinger Schloss.

1eixKBp.jpg

The current (smaller) Hockenheimring. Until 2018 Formula 1 races were held here.

PmOOGzE.jpg

Just on the other side of the Rhine is Limburgerhof. With another BASF site just under the Bonanza. There´s a good chinese restaurant on the right side of the street that leads into the village!

exzNBAH.jpg

And here we are already on final into Speyer. With the famous cathedral guiding us... and the NPP Philippsburg for missed approaches.
6nwRg2e.jpg

Time for another good Riesling. And maybe I challenge myself with a Saumagen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumagen ?

I don't know what to say Gerold, but I'm amazed and grateful for all this interesting stuff!  That rock amazes the heck out of me, is it at risk of falling?  There's even a tree on top!  Can you climb it?  And running in the forest to come out on a street had me laughing as I've done that too!  Wonderful Orbx shots and all, this must have taken a long time.  You are a true master of this stuff!

Amazing trip Gerold...

Great information and wonderful details (particulary the beautiful castles & churchs/cathedral and I love the rock and its name of Devil's table :rolleyes:)

... and now I know where to look for a good chinese restaurant ... (I would prefer it because I am not very ready for the stomach meal :wacko:)

20 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

A very interesting episode of your Tour de l'Allemagne. Geography teachers should just pack their things and point their pupils to your threads! Kids would probably learn a lot more about Germany this way.

+100000000000000000

Another great tour of your homeland.  Way back in the three digit centuries Angles and Saxons migrated to Brittania (and this was before the EU) bringin their delicious 'Saumagen'.  The folks north of Hadrian's wall captured some on one of their many raids.  They named it "Haggis".

51 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Another great tour of your homeland.  Way back in the three digit centuries Angles and Saxons migrated to Brittania (and this was before the EU) bringin their delicious 'Saumagen'.  The folks north of Hadrian's wall captured some on one of their many raids.  They named it "Haggis".

This is very interesting!

Thank you very much for commenting, @Bermuda425, @adambar, @paulb and @mikee !

13 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Great air trip that looks like it would also be a great automobile tour. Beautiful countryside. Thanks!

Oh that is a good idea, Rodger. It would take you a bit time on the first leg from Ramstein to Teufelstisch, but the rest is well prepared with roads and restaurants!

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I don't know what to say Gerold, but I'm amazed and grateful for all this interesting stuff!  That rock amazes the heck out of me, is it at risk of falling?  There's even a tree on top!  Can you climb it?  And running in the forest to come out on a street had me laughing as I've done that too!  Wonderful Orbx shots and all, this must have taken a long time.  You are a true master of this stuff!

In the german wikipedia I found there are about 200 rocks like these in the palatinate, but this is the biggest. The tree on top even had a bigger sister until a thunderstorm some years ago, and they were depicted on German stamps (stuff from the old times when communication was not totally electronic).

The post took me about an hour, but I had lots of memories in reward.

11 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

A very interesting episode of your Tour de l'Allemagne. Geography teachers should just pack their things and point their pupils to your threads! Kids would probably learn a lot more about Germany this way.

That is a good suggestion, Lars, and perhaps the school kids would like that, too!

11 hours ago, jean marc said:

Amazing trip Gerold...

Great information and wonderful details (particulary the beautiful castles & churchs/cathedral and I love the rock and its name of Devil's table :rolleyes:)

... and now I know where to look for a good chinese restaurant ... (I would prefer it because I am not very ready for the stomach meal :wacko:)

If you need, I could give you lots of restaurant and hotel suggestions for that region, Jean Marc. Also for the "stomach meal" avoiders!

9 hours ago, BradB said:

I loved the post Gerold , hopefully there is no exam at the end . I might be in trouble .......

Cheers

John

Don´t know much Geography, ... but I know I love simming, John!

8 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Oh this is great additional knowledge OnD! Especially for the Haggis-lovers @VH-KDK and @Jack Sawyer !

4 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

An excellent set Gerold and good to see it getting the support it deserves.

So much interesting information and also a few familiar places I have visited in GES!:)

Thank you very much Martyn. Let me continue to show you my state - though I will now come into areas I have not travelled so much.

3 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Fantastic post as always Gerold, if you were not a history/geography teacher in a previous life, you should certainly consider becoming one now! :D

If my history or geography teachers would read this compliment... 

2 hours ago, jankees said:

nice tour of a beautiful part of the world

Thank you Jan Kees. Maybe you live even closer to this region than I?

8 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Fantastic post as always Gerold, if you were not a history/geography teacher in a previous life, you should certainly consider becoming one now! :D

Teachers are being sought after at the moment. And with Prepar3d as the vehicle of choice, lacking language skills won't be an issue. B)

On 8/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great post and shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

On 8/27/2018 at 2:24 AM, Captain Lars said:

Teachers are being sought after at the moment. And with Prepar3d as the vehicle of choice, lacking language skills won't be an issue. B)

Some good ideas and inspiration, Lars. Maybe I should apply for such a job...!

Archived