Some love-hating sisters

Stillwater

I know many love-hate relations between (rivaling?) cities in Germany, not to name them. But in this short flight we encounter two of the most famous ones. 

Starting in Mainz-Finthen (well there are even many jokes from Mainz about their subcity Finthen!), ...

4CtBE2A.jpg

... over the studios of german television ZDF at Mainz-Lärchenberg...

azjShcq.jpg

... and Mainz city, with the Dom behind us. Directly under the 185 should be the elector´s castle of Mainz, where they celebrate the biggenst annual carnival meetings - and cultivate the hate-love to their sister city on the other side of the Rhein.

VUENV4F.jpg

To the left we see the Schiersteiner bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schierstein_Bridge. Looks like a usual bridge, but it has been closed for years while the replacement was delayed. It was reason for many jokes and songs. On the right side of the river we see the Biebrich castle of Wiesbaden - the love-hated sister of Mainz. On the other riverside, in another state.

2oDexf3.jpg

Wiesbaden city, with churches and townhall.

3SOKf0d.jpg

hAFHVbE.jpg

The USAF airport Erbenheim, ...

mYokgFc.jpg

... Hochheim, ...

CjJ8DFh.jpg

... the main Opel works in Rüsselsheim. You can see some other famous industrial area to the left (and this is the reason why this flight would not be possible in RL).

mOH2WP1.jpg

OK, now you got it?

Wec1uWH.jpg

I think every German has been travelling here, 1, 2 or 200 times.

nwK1Njf.jpg

Ycf4HX9.jpg

Me too.

lt0Qehj.jpg

Airport to the left, Industry Park Hoechst below (divided by the Main river).

ELLQx1F.jpg

Here we approach Mainhattan, ...

PgcDgqD.jpg

H57xCKX.jpg

... just before we reach its hate-loved sister Offenbach.

mFCUOYk.jpg

Frankfurt-Main is much too expensive and time-consuming for me to land. So I take the little brother Egelsbach just a few kilometres south - like most private planes do and make it Germanys most-frequented GA airport https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Egelsbach_Airport.

ViA9x5z.jpg

Now for a good-but-dangerous Äppelwoi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein !

a9CmbcD.jpg

PS: EDDF is a 3rd party scenery. But all other airports around have been nicely upgraded within GES by orbx. Very helpful!

Very interesting. The only love hate I know of is Düsseldorf and Köln. And sorry, the last time I've been to Frankfurt was when I was like 3 years old. I travelled with my mother from Klagenfurt, and the story goes that I let LH a pig pile of poo on my seat. :lol::lol::lol: Must have been the horror for my mum. Oddly we were never charged for it... who knows, perhaps they didn't clean it at all? :lol::lol::lol: All barred from legal action by now! :D

An excellent and highly informative post Gerold.:)

Some very interesting links too.

There is no lack of interstate rivalry here especially in the winter months when the various codes of football are being played.:rolleyes:

For some reason our stop at Frankfurt was cancelled when we flew out from England when we emigrated to Oz so I have never stepped foot in your country.:(

Thank you for another well narrated tour of your homeland!  I would bet the Granny Smith Apple cider has some kick to it! :P  All this time I thought everybody got along, imagine having rival sister cities anywhere! :rolleyes:  Cities of brotherly love would be much better!

23 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Very interesting. The only love hate I know of is Düsseldorf and Köln. And sorry, the last time I've been to Frankfurt was when I was like 3 years old. I travelled with my mother from Klagenfurt, and the story goes that I let LH a pig pile of poo on my seat. :lol::lol::lol: Must have been the horror for my mum. Oddly we were never charged for it... who knows, perhaps they didn't clean it at all? :lol::lol::lol: All barred from legal action by now! :D

Thanks for your long comment, Lars. I learn you are a real LH frequent flyer, who always receives a warm "nice to have you on board again" :D.

22 hours ago, BradB said:

All I got is love for your post Gerold , fine shots and some interesting tidbits of life in Germany . :wub::)B)

Cheers

John

Oh, thank you John!

22 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great flight Gerold.  Enjoyed the shots and your commentary!!!

Thanks John. You´re welcome.

21 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

An excellent and highly informative post Gerold.:)

Some very interesting links too.

There is no lack of interstate rivalry here especially in the winter months when the various codes of football are being played.:rolleyes:

For some reason our stop at Frankfurt was cancelled when we flew out from England when we emigrated to Oz so I have never stepped foot in your country.:(

I believe you will get the chance to stop in Frankfurt someday. However, it is only slightly better than Heathrow, be warned!

21 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Always entertaining and informative Gerold!  I loved Germany when I was there, you posted some excellent shots.  

Thank you Jack. When have you been to Germany, and where?

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Very well done one again Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam.

11 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

So which city has the better food?

Oh that is very hard to say. You can easily tell them by the drinks, but by food? OK, I´ll go for Frankfurt: Potatoes in the skin with Green sauce https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sauce, and added some Frankfurter sausages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Würstchen with their slightly smoky taste.

Mainz is more famous for the invention of the www: Weck, Wurst und Wein (bread roll, sausage and wine).

11 hours ago, paulb said:

A very interesting and informative post Gerold! Well done :).

Thanks you Paul.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Thank you for another well narrated tour of your homeland!  I would bet the Granny Smith Apple cider has some kick to it! :P  All this time I thought everybody got along, imagine having rival sister cities anywhere! :rolleyes:  Cities of brotherly love would be much better!

There would be enough brotherly love in these cities, CSD is just over. But be careful with the apple cider, can make your stomach go wild... :blink:

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Gerold, Jever at Christmas time for 30 days in the 1989’s.  It was absolutely wonderful!

Oh no, we´ve had a close miss: I lived in Bremen in that time. Why didn´t you send me an e-mail :D?

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

Wonderful shots Gerold. Nice trip and narrative as always.. Thank goodness I don't have a sister. My older cantankerous Brother is enough:D 

I hope your brother is no flight simmer :ph34r::D.

10 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Or give me a call from your mobile?!

Oh, well. 1989 was a different planet.

I was there I think in 1985, I can look it up but all I could have done was send a postal letter, telegram, carrier pigeon or smoke signa:blink:ls 

Archived