I like digging holes

Stillwater

I took off in Cologne and headed over the city center, with the Dom below. It was the worlds highest building until 1884, and you can be sure there were no computers to calculate the statics. Its building time was a bit longer, from 1248 until 1880.

jXScxRM.jpg

Many other sights of Köln in this picture, from the indoor arena (to the left) to the Müngersdorfer Stadion (to the right). Köln was bombed from June 1940 until March 1945, and about 90 % of the city center were destroyed. 

PS: The bridges are just there for Jack. 

M2Htii9.jpg

Düsseldorf in the background, east of the Rhine. But we head west.

rjhattM.jpg

Hole #1: Garzweiler. Brown coal surface mining has been done in the region for about 300 years. Easy to imagine what this means to the fields and villages - and basically just for burning this stuff to make energy.

sFXyOP9.jpg

Hole #2: Hambach. Another orbx highlight.

iJLIjs6.jpg

A car service station at the Autobahn A4. I´d call this level of detail another highlight.

vEzfe3g.jpg

Aachen with the Dom in the center. In 923 Otto I. was crowned there, and the following 600 years all German kings were inaugurated at this place. You can easily see where the medieval city walls have been. Footnote: 65 % of Aachen were destroyed in WW2.

DiXqBwj.jpg

And this is Aachen airfield. Smaller than the church, and a little challenge to use.

Yqyaqni.jpg

Appreciate the info with the pics, I do love me some old architecture!  If you are into that kind of reading and haven't read Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth", it's a good read (800 pgs) 12th century stuff! :)

A marvellous voyage through western Germany, Gerold! The level of detail is outstanding.

While the cathedral of Cologne is incredibly impressive and huge (it looks like a gothic alien ship rammed into the ground), if you ever happen to visit this area, you should by all means visit the cathedral of Aachen / Aix-la-Chapelle and the adjacent treasure chamber. It's just incredible - you have the remains of Charlemagne there, 1000 year old golden relics, etc. And on a guided tour, you will have the opportunity to get within an arm's reach of Charlemagne's throne. It's difficult to describe the sensation of being in touch and connected to 1200 years of ongoing German and European history - the relics are still processed through the streets every couple of years. On a non-religious level, it was overwhelming.

16 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful trip Gerold. Very informative. Great shots.:)

Happy to see you enjoyed it, mate!

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Holy Moly , these are great shots Gerold !! .

Cheers

John

Thank you John. Always a pleasure to discover the sceneries hidden somewhere on the HDD...!

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Astounding trip and information Gerold, thanks a lot for this as I found it incredible interesting!!!!

And yes, I'd love to fly under those bridges, but alas when oh when will I find the time?

Thanks Jack. The time issue is a "serious" one for us orbx-lovers. Too many great sceneries, I am far away from KSAN now but have to return... :o!

12 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Wonderful trip in an interesting plane. I do agree that this plane and those bridges seem meant for each other. ;) Thanks!

Haha, thank you Roger. I feel you would need full flaps and good trimming to make these bridges in a Lancair...!

12 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great flight Gerold!!!!!!!!!  I enjoyed the flight, shots specially your comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you John. I hope you enjoyed your weekend birthday?!

10 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Appreciate the info with the pics, I do love me some old architecture!  If you are into that kind of reading and haven't read Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth", it's a good read (800 pgs) 12th century stuff! :)

Thank Roger. How much of the old architecture has meen lost in middle Europe...

I´ll have a look at this book for my next vacation.

7 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Europe is loaded with beautiful cathedrals - Cologne up there with the finest.  Great narrative and pics - show us more.

If you have been chased through these cathedrals as a child (like i was from my parents and teachers), you will have lost the fascination. Now, knowing other continents, it comes back. The old coots advantage.

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

A marvellous voyage through western Germany, Gerold! The level of detail is outstanding.

While the cathedral of Cologne is incredibly impressive and huge (it looks like a gothic alien ship rammed into the ground), if you ever happen to visit this area, you should by all means visit the cathedral of Aachen / Aix-la-Chapelle and the adjacent treasure chamber. It's just incredible - you have the remains of Charlemagne there, 1000 year old golden relics, etc. And on a guided tour, you will have the opportunity to get within an arm's reach of Charlemagne's throne. It's difficult to describe the sensation of being in touch and connected to 1200 years of ongoing German and European history - the relics are still processed through the streets every couple of years. On a non-religious level, it was overwhelming.

Thanks for the tips, Lars. Aachen is easily overlooked as a touristic spot. I´ll keep this in mind!

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Nicely done Gerold, enjoyed everything! :)

Thank you Adam.

4 hours ago, paulb said:

A great trip and narrative Gerold! :)

Thanks Paul.

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing shots and post.

cheers

Iain

Merci bien, Iain.

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful set Gerold with some interesting information, some happy and some sad.

One of the things I miss over here in Oz is visiting the old historical sites. 

There is only one solution: Come over for holiday in old Europe, mate. You can even do it when you are too old to resist the hot Thai weather.

Archived