Summertime

Stillwater

A true Alaska Airlines service from Yakutat...

qS2KCer.jpg

... taking off the summer runway southwards over the Pacific...

tNyEtNM.jpg

... and turning 180° to the right in order to head north.

hyd29Qq.jpg

P0MtLfw.jpg

Climbing, climbing, climbing, across Hubbard Glacier...

k780w2W.jpg

... into beautiful Summer weather.

c7Ww2h7.jpg

aPDGSSF.jpg

Not easy to get this plane up to 12500 ft. Which were needed to come across to Kaskawulsh Glacier, Canada.

2q44NKb.jpg

Descending and relaxing the pressure on the engines, towards Burwash Lake...

H8PIfct.jpg

... and Haines Junction.

W6Lb0Fm.jpg

Over the plains...

fbQyF3s.jpg

... to Whitehorse. Drop off some tourists here for the train ride down to Skagway - and ready to get another bunch for our next flight...!

GltRegm.jpg

wVqYzbB.jpg

LQ3FGmI.jpg

1 hour ago, Bermuda425 said:

You can pick whether you want summer or winter in Alaska!

Indeed, weather I want or not.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Some very impressive scenery in this flight Gerold.

I suppose with the visibility being so good it must be summer or did you have to turn off AS16!

Thanks for the knowledge, Martyn, I can´t cheat you: Indeed the visibility was very bad between Haines Junction and Whitehorse, so I had to descend carefully and with GPS aid. I just did not document the thick cloud soup - and was lucky to see the runways finally.

Great shots nice trip Gerold:D. I did however lodge a "competition complaint" with U.S.Coast Guard Commander Chris P. Bacon about infringing on the Mule Team Airlines:angry:. It is in our opinion a bag of dirty tricks to offer any kind of good service. Sir, Hilda is very upset and is awaiting your return to PAYA where she'll confront you and your shiny Gooney bird. I personally invite every Seagull to fly over said shiny Gooney Bird and "salute" that thing the way all good seagulls "salute"(Hatches wide open)<_<. And where the heck is the Fear Factor:angry::rolleyes::lol::D Oh, and I forgot to mention that I fly so low over them glaciers that Hilda (bless her) opens the door and scrapes up the ice for our drinks. Beat that dear Gerold. Huh.:rolleyes::D

Well I'm impressed with the flight, the plane, the scenery and the narration, great job! :D

Dang!  All out of reaction for the day! 

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Some very impressive scenery in this flight Gerold.

I suppose with the visibility being so good it must be summer or did you have to turn off AS16!

:D

5 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots nice trip Gerold:D. I did however lodge a "competition complaint" with U.S.Coast Guard Commander Chris P. Bacon about infringing on the Mule Team Airlines:angry:. It is in our opinion a bag of dirty tricks to offer any kind of good service. Sir, Hilda is very upset and is awaiting your return to PAYA where she'll confront you and your shiny Gooney bird. I personally invite every Seagull to fly over said shiny Gooney Bird and "salute" that thing the way all good seagulls "salute"(Hatches wide open)<_<. And where the heck is the Fear Factor:angry::rolleyes::lol::D Oh, and I forgot to mention that I fly so low over them glaciers that Hilda (bless her) opens the door and scrapes up the ice for our drinks. Beat that dear Gerold. Huh.:rolleyes::D

:lol:

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Always terrific shots of your flights Gerold and with the narrative it makes them so much better!

:)

13 hours ago, magic1 said:

Nice shots!

Thank you Magic!

13 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Well I'm impressed with the flight, the plane, the scenery and the narration, great job! :D

Thanks for the compliment, Roger!

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Sensational set from wild Alaska Gerold! :)

You are welcome, Adam. At least the weather was not so wild on this hot summer day...

17 hours ago, BradB said:

Smashing set of shots from AK Gerold ,I wish I was there . Going over 100F this week along with all the smoke and haze from all the fires we are having . :):angry::o

Cheers

John

That´s why I went up to Alaska. Should be a place to breath currently...

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Always terrific shots of your flights Gerold and with the narrative it makes them so much better!

Thank you Jack. I am sure a yellow DC-3 would be even an improvement, but I don´t have one :'(.

18 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

These are almost epic shots, Gerold 

Thank you Bernd. So I fit into this forum!

18 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Amazing, refreshing shots from the northern wild!

Thanks Lars. These glaciers look fantastic in the sunshine.

18 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Oh I have to explain my unannounced flight service to Mule services and their most prominent employees. This was just a replication of a flight the same plane (and pilot, and purser) were doing 60 years ago.

And, surely, we cannot offer the same level of "drinks with ice" service than you could do.

Let´s have a good drink and a cigar when we meet next ;).

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

wonderful shots Gerold - I would like to be one of the passengers and to fly this trip :rolleyes:

Merci Jean Marc, but do not envy the passengers, it was a near miss while I was trying to climb over the glaciers... :D!

4 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Gerold, thanks for the refreshing trip, It was fun to vibrate along in the good old Gooney and look out at the spectacular scenery. Nice job!

Thank you Roger. Refreshment was the sense of going up there, but the engines got really hot... joining the SAK scenery, indeed.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, BradB said:

Smashing set of shots from AK Gerold ,I wish I was there . Going over 100F this week along with all the smoke and haze from all the fires we are having . :):angry::o

Cheers

John

Move west of the Cascades John, only 95 here today and no forest fire smoke.

19 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Great trip - if you fly it again try going south to the Alsek River, right at the Canadian border, and follow it to Haines Junction then Whitehorse.  If the weather's decent no climbing involved.

Ah, thank you for the bushflyer´s tip. That may be a good option for autumn...!

Archived