Much Ado About Nothing...P3D4 Migration that is!

POLYMERMAN

Well I bit the bullet  as we used to say!

(For you downunders it means taking a hit and ignoring the pain.)

I've begun the process of migrating from Orbx FSX to Orbx P3D4.

I decided to migrate not only because  of the VAS issues of that 32 bit software but also because

FSX is being ignored in software development..

I'm very dissapointed that LM decided to limit addons to around 30 .

How can we use or ORBX scenery with such a limitation? 

I know LM said it is not for entertainment but should it be for frustrtation?

Thouightful comments appreciated..

8 hours ago, POLYMERMAN said:

Well I bit the bullet  as we used to say!

(For you downunders it means taking a hit and ignoring the pain.)

I've begun the process of migrating from Orbx FSX to Orbx P3D4.

I decided to migrate not only because  of the VAS issues of that 32 bit software but also because

FSX is being ignored in software development..

I'm very dissapointed that LM decided to limit addons to around 30 .

How can we use or ORBX scenery with such a limitation? 

I know LM said it is not for entertainment but should it be for frustrtation?

Thouightful comments appreciated..

What limit? I have more than 30 addons already in v4. No issues at all.

I also have many installed add-ons with no issues (over 200). But, I've never used the .xml method. There was a problem with a limitation of 30-something on the .xml files back in v4.1 and it was a recognized bug. I have no idea whether or not LM ever fixed it but it's worth a search on the LM forum(s) if it's a concern. One thing for sure, LM never intended to limit the number of add-ons.............Doug

Thank you everyone for your comments and I appoligize for stepping on the forums toes.

I guess that was my problem using the xml method using the addon organizer for all my ORBX stuff.

I'll swich my method of addition based on your helpful comments.

Thanks again,

3 hours ago, Triplane said:

I also have many installed add-ons with no issues (over 200). But, I've never used the .xml method. There was a problem with a limitation of 30-something on the .xml files back in v4.1 and it was a recognized bug. I have no idea whether or not LM ever fixed it but it's worth a search on the LM forum(s) if it's a concern. One thing for sure, LM never intended to limit the number of add-ons.............Doug

Doug,  A couple of the well-known developers (other than Orbx) don't give you a choice whether to use the .xml method or not, so you're stuck.  This is especially the case with airports developed exclusively for P3Dv4 and no other sim.

Stew

3 hours ago, POLYMERMAN said:

Thank you everyone for your comments and I appoligize for stepping on the forums toes.

I guess that was my problem using the xml method using the addon organizer for all my ORBX stuff.

I'll swich my method of addition based on your helpful comments.

Thanks again,

You aren't supposed to be using .xml method for Orbx products anyway.

Not to argue, Nick, but you can install the products anywhere you wish, into the root directory of the drive of your choice, or into the P3D directory itself.  But your C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\P3Dv4 Add-ons folder has all the add-on.xml files for those products.  You have no choice in the matter.  And this situation is reflected in the P3D's scenery.cfg.  If the airports have been activated, you'll see them there; if not, you won't see them.  If the Add-ons folder with a particular airport's add-on.xml file is missing, the airport is a mess, if it exists at all.  The installer installs the add-on.xml file whether you want it or not.  You have no choice.

Hello Stewart,

not wishing to enter into a debate but the files required to make a product work in P3D, whether it is an aircraft or scenery are exactly the same.

The difference is that LM would like you to arrange them into the corresponding folders but outside the simulator and create an xml file to tell P3D where to look.

This is what many developers indeed do.

However, not wishing to promote this as a good idea, but purely as a hypothetical point, if those folders are copied into the P3D root folder and

in the case of scenery, a scenery  library entry is added, the products will still work, just as they always did.

The add-on.xml file and the addon.cfg entry can be disposed of.

I realise that in some quarters this would be seen as heresy but, once again hypothetically, if it is the case that there is a limit to the number of xml files that P3D can deal with,

doing that with the remainder would at least let them work.

Thank you for the explanation, Nick.  The only scenery that I have installed in the P3D root folder is Orbx, by default.  All others are outside that folder, but on the same drive.  I have not experienced any problems with that 30 item limit some folks are worried about.

Resolved the problem:

I renamed the document folder “Prepar3D v4 Add-ons”

to “Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.backup”.  Restarted P3D and all the ORBX scenery were available and activated through the P3D world/scenery menu.

Didn’t have to re-add the scenery or re-download 200 +GB of ORBX scenery.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:32 AM, Stewart Hobson said:

Doug,  A couple of the well-known developers (other than Orbx) don't give you a choice whether to use the .xml method or not, so you're stuck.  This is especially the case with airports developed exclusively for P3Dv4 and no other sim.

Stew

Well, all I can say if Boo On Them........................................

Archived