Acquisition of Earth Simulation Assets

kevinfirth

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/157734-orbx-acquires-earth-simulations-assets-press-release/

Congrats John.  Nice to see these get a new lease of life.  I presume they'll be seamlessly installable through FTXCentral?

Happy to see Turbulent on board with this as well :). All this bodes well for the future....

Darren/Vikki, if you're reading this, I hope you're all well and thanks for paying all your work forward here for the community again :)

7 hours ago, ctutthill said:

Hopefully Scilly will be there too

The Scilly Isles are included in TrueEarth already, however this is not a port of ES's product, i.e. It isn't an airport, just a detailed TE region. Since we have all of their assets now, hopefully at some point all of the products, e.g. Shawbury fields which I personally loved can be updated and placed on OrbxDirect. I was certainly a big fan of Darren/Vikki's work back in the day and was gutted when they pulled the plug.

Would Shawbury Fields be that much of a difference to True Earth? I had assumed that True Earth England in this area would already be littered with autogen buildings/trees/pylons etc? Or are you referring to the bespoke models? As for ES Isles of Scilly, I would love to see a True Earth version that matches this.....including the airfield ;)

Likewise on the Scillies. Some great challenging approaches and ES even managed to model my family home! The airport will need updating as 09/27 is now asphalt full length and a few other little changes which I'll check when I fly over next week. 

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Would Shawbury Fields be that much of a difference to True Earth? I had assumed that True Earth England in this area would already be littered with autogen buildings/trees/pylons etc? Or are you referring to the bespoke models? As for ES Isles of Scilly, I would love to see a True Earth version that matches this.....including the airfield ;)

Shawbury Fields was a masterpiece of autogen vegetation.  The variety of colours and sizes was VERY realistic.  The latter parts of Treescapes were also much improved in this respect - with greater variety than earlier volumes.  I believe this could be an area OrbX can benefit from as my personal view *warning - constructive criticism alert!* is that the orbx trees, even in TE NL, look too 'samey' and not realistic enough at low altitudes.   Totally different experience at treetop height in Shawbury Fields.  I'm confident OrbX wouldnt spend cash acquiring assets without leveraging them, so I anticipate even better things to come :D

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

We will try to update all the airports to 2018 levels, so if anyone can provide ground level, side on photos that would help us enormously. Just email info@orbxsystems.com and use the subject Photos for Orbx airports.

Any specific airfields/buildings you require imagery for John?

14 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

The latter parts of Treescapes were also much improved in this respect - with greater variety than earlier volumes.  I believe this could be an area OrbX can benefit from as my personal view *warning - constructive criticism alert!* is that the orbx trees

One thing to point out about TE England/Wales is that in fact, most of the trees are actually the correct height. We have accurate height data for almost every building and tree, so when you see a tree in the scenery, or fly over the top of it, the tree is likely actually the correct height.

4 minutes ago, tonywob said:

One thing to point out about TE England/Wales is that in fact, most of the trees are actually the correct height. We have accurate height data for almost every building and tree, so when you see a tree in the scenery, or fly over the top of it, the tree is likely actually the correct height.

Are you intending to try to do the same for buildings (in so far as its technically and reasonably possible?).  

18 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

One aspect of TrueEarth that I am particularly looking forward to is consistent colour saturation and texture resolution.

Agreed, the quality of imagery in NL in this respect is impressive, and probably worthy of the product cost alone!

17 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Will you allow for growth of trees over time? ;):rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

One aspect of TrueEarth that I am particularly looking forward to is consistent colour saturation and texture resolution

Hello Christopher and those who quoted him.

You comment as it is now is fine, there was and is no need to comment on any other developer's products,

not to mention that it is in breach of the forum rules.

12 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Christopher and those who quoted him.

You comment as it is now is fine, there was and is no need to comment on any other developer's products,

not to mention that it is in breach of the forum rules.

Apologies nick, I think Chris and I were simply welcoming of the improvement in PR scenery that orbx will be bringing over an old and now unsupported (I believe?) legacy product with well known and widely discussed quality issues :p.b How can one comment on the relative quality improvement between different sceneries without referencing them? The primary topic concerned was TrueEarth products.... No offence intended :)

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

We will try to update all the airports to 2018 levels, so if anyone can provide ground level, side on photos that would help us enormously. Just email info@orbxsystems.com and use the subject Photos for Orbx airports.

I have passed this to a contact who could probably do this.

This is something that I have been dreaming about. I have been a great fan of Earth Simulation, and I have felt great sorry for their leaving, and now the sorry is over.

Wait, I see all the small islands, but where is the glorious Scotland scenery? I have always regarded it as the greatest photo scenery before True Earth. In some aspects it might be still better.

Really wish Orbx could also bring Earth Simulation Scotland back.

A review for reference: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?15208-Review-Earth-Simulations-Scotland-Scenery

John, If I'd have one request, it would be for Orbx to try to replicate the night lighting that ES created with Autogenesis?  It was IMHO the most realistic night lighting ever created, with extremely soft and diffuse light splashes on the PR night layer, exactly in the right places. Pretty please with cherries on top! ;) Cheers K

Archived