The Mountain Maestro Returns: Monument Valley for XP11!

2-b2e9044131da41d923c9c989930dcd66.jpg

We are delighted to welcome back to Orbx the Mountain Maestro himself, Frank Dainese, who produced the much-acclaimed Monument ValleyDevils Tower and Yosemite National Park sceneries for FSX and P3D. In collaboration with development partner Fabio Bellini, Frank brings a completely re-done Monument Valley experience for XP11, adding entirely new tech and many new features not previously seen

One of the most iconic landmarks of the American West, Monument Valley is a natural wonder situated along the Arizona/Utah border, in close proximity to the Grand Canyon, and just a short flight away from other well-known destinations such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sedona, Telluride and Flagstaff. Known as the backdrop to many well-loved films from the Golden Era of Hollywood, the park is situated within the Navajo Nation and is visited by tens of thousands of tourists each year.

2-dbdd078c7dcc164bafb1317d45b1a9ab.jpg

The scenery features 21 3D models of the main peaks, with the data being derived from digital elevation model (DEM) and then reworked and finished off with 4K textures! The mesh for the scenery has been recompiled as well as with the terrain being rebuilt with texture polygons and does not rely on any orthoimagery. 

This scenery is a must have for VFR flyers as well as those that dabble in a bit with the Aerolite.

With Monument Valley Airport (UT25) which is included, 4 helipads have been added at Monument Valley Airport, the View Hotel, Oljato and John Ford Point.

2-1236183ced2a91dd4b4c78bf8a1aa651.jpg

2-2917cc691f508b89a22c9fabb4822602.jpg

2-963a0e77a4c0a0f998f1d0c88036230f.jpg

2-6c55460b58d7a3ca3bf5a084a8684a3d.jpg

Stay tuned for more screenshots over the week!

• Ed Correia unpinned and unlocked this topic
On 6/26/2018 at 1:46 AM, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

Looks fantastic, as is all of Franks work! I believe that Frank started out creating his incredible mountain themed scenery in FSX, is there any chance of seeing his future creations for XP11 also available P3D V4?

Andrew 

Unfortunately Frank has moved his development completeley to XP . I would give an arm and a leg for the Dolomiti Scenery he did for X-Plane.

3 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Unfortunately Frank has moved his development completeley to XP . I would give an arm and a leg for the Dolomiti Scenery he did for X-Plane.

Well, I would give an arm and a leg too for the very same scenery; we could add the Val D'Aosta, too, anyway :D

5 hours ago, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

Sounds like we are on the same page @farman and @KVSandleben!! I guess that is the difficult thing with multi-sim, each one will have something the other doesn't. 

Andrew

Oh, yes, that's true. A was tempted lots of times to switch to XP-11, but since !9 I like to fly on asctual weather/season and 2) since VRS F-18 and MilViz  and Captain Sim doesn't develope any plane for XP-11, I'll never leave P3D. I tried to jump in a XP-11 B-52 cockpit... disgusting.

12 hours ago, farman said:

since VRS F-18 and MilViz  and Captain Sim doesn't develope any plane for XP-11,

Sorry, MilViz is currently working on the X-Plane 11 "conversion" of their Cessna 310 R. It is a "conversion" because one of the X-Plane developers realized that the external model of this plane showed in reality the turbo version of this plane, so they decided that they would use the turbo version parameters for X-Plane.

Thanks to everyone and to orbx for this opportunity.
I tried to improve the already good scenery of the Monumnet Valley for FSX.
It was not easy ... X-Plane offers beautiful graphics and very realistic light effects, but developing scenery is much more complicated than FSX.
However, from a scenic point of view, I consider X-Plane superior to FSX and P3D, I can't express myself on airplanes / avionics, but it is certainly improving also in that sector.
X-Plane is gaining many admirers.
My choice of developing for x-Plane, even if more complicated, is only for an aesthetic reason.
One of the most difficult problems to solve in X-Plane are the meshes.
To be able to position the 3D models it is necessary to modify the meshes and this implies a remarkable work of patience. Unfortunately, the only mesh compilator that we have available is very unstable and doesn't allow a job of great precision, for every small change you have to recompile the whole degree, with all the consequences. I have to thank my friend, collaborator, Fabio Bellini who in this field has helped me in a decisive way.

It will be available soon.

MV-12a.jpg

MV-15a.jpg

MV-22a.jpg

3 hours ago, Longranger241 said:

Sorry, MilViz is currently working on the X-Plane 11 "conversion" of their Cessna 310 R. It is a "conversion" because one of the X-Plane developers realized that the external model of this plane showed in reality the turbo version of this plane, so they decided that they would use the turbo version parameters for X-Plane.

Hi Longranger, I meant the mil planes; the Phantoms, the Talon, the Hundred and so on. 

You are a true artist Frank is all I can say.

And your love for mountains really shines through in your scenery. I still keep your FSX version of the Dolomites on my hd to use in P3D even though there are some anomalies and even though you have gone above and beyond in the payware XP version of that region.

There are simply regions on this planet that cannot be adequately portrayed with a simple mesh system and it is great that you found a way to improve that immensly.

Too bad you are the only one doing it, others could learn a great deal from you.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived