There must be an angel

Some strange guy, claiming to be a mining engineer convinced me to fly him with my trusty 185 towards the Auyan Tepui tablelands, as he was interested to look for some "interesting geological formations" up there. He was even willing to pay 5000 USD for that, which made it a shorter negotiation. So we took off from Canaima - in rainy conditions...

KBXP2p5.jpg

... and met Rio Carrao just to the northwest of the airport.

27azvHC.jpg

We followed the river upstream (southwards), where it meets with Rio Churrun to the right below us. Auyan Tepui tablelands ahead.

TuCmdFt.jpg

Uuups. Going further into the valley we were shocked by this huge waterfall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Falls !

soba5wj.jpg

CEtRRrK.jpg

But we managed to land on the plateau. The suspicious guy was then examining the rivers and rocks... and found huge amounts of Gold! Being heavily loaded I could only bring the 185 back into air by dropping her from the plateau...

abQDqLt.jpg

... and back to Canaima airport again.

D8cKngB.jpg

Seems I made the worse deal compared to my guest... So I will come back on my own soon... follow the wikipedia link and you´ll see what comes next.

At least I will have the freeware scenery from avsim installed, so there will be some fortune for the simmer, at least.

Great flight, Gerold!! I did the same a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed with the ORBX treatment of Angel Falls (I don't blame them at all, they can't cover everything), so I looked it up on the internet and found a freeware version, which helped to improve things :)

Ooops, I seem to have overlooked your last sentence, you did the same too :wub::wub:

Nice ones Gerold, I was looking for the falls but didn't see them then I read your remarks.  I agree with Bernd, it's a huge planet for flying and no one can cover every last detail but in time I think Orbx will have it all worked out.

Interesting flight and information Gerold, thanks for sharing !

You are going to be a wealthy man hopping to the plateau for 5000 US for each run.....what is the goldprice these days...?

-Fred-

23 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

You are going to be a wealthy man hopping to the plateau for 5000 US for each run.....what is the goldprice these days...?

-Fred-

He will most definitely be a rich man Fred, if he manages to find actual gold in the sim! :D Now wouldn't that be something? In any case, more great adventuring Gerold. Nice choice of battered livery for your C185...fits the scene and mood perfect :)

Well done Gerold! :)

No one on earth could feel like this
I'm thrown and overflown with bliss
There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

I walk into an empty room
And suddenly my heart goes boom
It's an orchestra of angels
And they're playing with my heart
(Must be talking to an angel)

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

And when I think that I'm alone
It seems there's more of us at home
It's a multitude of angels

I must be hallucinating
Watching angels celebrating
Could this be reactivating
All my senses dislocating
This must be a strange deception
By celestial intervention
Leavin' me the recollection
Of your heavenly connection

:)

4 hours ago, paulb said:

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

I must be hallucinating

Good one by Eurythmics, thought excatly the same when read the title jaja

But I disagree.

Orbx is equal to quality, so if South America land class was launched it should at least match the real textures of very specific or iconic areas like all the other products, mainly because they have proved in so many scenaries that they are indeed capable of doing it. So landmarks and places so remarkable like these should have been improved, as these are really places where you will be defenitly flying to.

We have the the Monument Valley... why not recreate a more accurate Canaima park?

We have lots of orange ground textures in Australia, why is not so in Brasilia?

Thousands of trees in NZ, PNW and many other areas while Amazonas doesn't look that populated..

Iguazu falls shared by Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.

They have created amazing water textures for Australia and NZ, why is La Plata river in Buenos Aires blue instead of greyish?

Etc.

So I think it is more a matter of starting to improve, and maybe time, than a big a world issue.

Maybe in time we will see the improvements as I know they have other priorities, but my feeling is that South America land class lacks of love (or knwoledge)

I don't pretend to hurt the developers but when you compared areas like NZ vs SA you can't hold this feeling.

Cheers,

Carlos

12 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great flight, Gerold!! I did the same a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed with the ORBX treatment of Angel Falls (I don't blame them at all, they can't cover everything), so I looked it up on the internet and found a freeware version, which helped to improve things :)

Ooops, I seem to have overlooked your last sentence, you did the same too :wub::wub:

Thanks for commenting & the hint, Bernd. I tried it this afternoon, and the little difference in effects make a huge difference for the pilot!

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice ones Gerold, I was looking for the falls but didn't see them then I read your remarks.  I agree with Bernd, it's a huge planet for flying and no one can cover every last detail but in time I think Orbx will have it all worked out.

Thank you Jack. It seems to be like in AU region: You need OZx for this little details. And you need to install freeware (there is a lot) to have SA looking lovely.

11 hours ago, Sundancer said:

-Fred-

Thanks Fred. I think the miner made the better deal with some kilos of gold...!

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

He will most definitely be a rich man Fred, if he manages to find actual gold in the sim! :D Now wouldn't that be something? In any case, more great adventuring Gerold. Nice choice of battered livery for your C185...fits the scene and mood perfect :)

So sad we don´t have GoldFlow in the sim yet. But we can have sheer fun flying, reporting in the forum and geeting feedback like yours!

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Hey You(Au):wacko:, a solid gold set Gerold, I enjoyed the narration and views very much.:)

Thank Yau, my mate in the gold club!

7 hours ago, paulb said:

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

Thanks Paul. What a great song & singer.

7 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots and story Gerold. Love that "beat up look" of the C185.:D

Sorry, I did not take too much care in maintenance.

7 hours ago, jotaedo said:

hahaha great story! i really enjoy when the sim become more than just a planes game

Gracias jotaedo, the story came to me when reading the wikipedia entries in some languages...

2 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Orbx is equal to quality, so if South America land class was launched it should at least match the real textures of very specific or iconic areas like all the other products, mainly because they have proved in so many scenaries that they are indeed capable of doing it. So landmarks and places so remarkable like these should have been improved, as these are really places where you will be defenitly flying to.

We have the the Monument Valley... why not recreate a more accurate Canaima park?

Thousands of trees in NZ, PNW and many other areas while Amazonas doesn't look that populated..

They have created amazing water textures for Australia and NZ, why is La Plata river in Buenos Aires blue instead of greyish?

Etc.

So I think it is more a matter of starting to improve, and maybe time, than a big a world issue.

Maybe in time we will see the improvements as I know they have other priorities, but my feeling is that South America land class lacks of love (or knwoledge)

I don't pretend to hurt the developers but when you compared areas like NZ vs SA you can't hold this feeling.

Cheers,

Carlos

Having nearly finished my circumnavigation of SA I come close to a judgement... and I can at least say that openLC Europe was by far more enriched with details. I think your collection of findings gives a good base for improvement.

8 hours ago, paulb said:

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

There must be an angel
Playing with my heart

I must be hallucinating

Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful song Paul.

I have this on vinyl, maybe time to look out a digital update of Sweet Dreams!:)

A story and pictures worth of an Indiana Jones, Gerold! Now get back to the claim and take the remaining gold before your passenger comes back. That's going to be a surprise!

14 hours ago, carlosqr said:

But I disagree.

Etc.

Cheers,

Carlos

Well, I agree and disagree at the same time here. Yes, it is right that OLC SA is a bit lacking in some areas, and that OLC EU is a bit more appealing in general. But I think that this is due to the fact that Europe is a much more densely populated continent. Northern Russia doesn't look particularly better than some far off locations in OLC SA. The rainforest is a bit disappointing, though, just too dry imho.

On the other hand... Monument Valley is a separate purchase, not included in OLC NA. New Zealand and PNW are Orbx regions of the "full fat" kind, they are not openLC. That's a different scope. So you are comparing two different ranges of products, but I also think that South America could have gotten even more love.

17 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Golly gee! Some first class shots!

Thank you Bermuda!

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

My car is also an AU Falcon Jack but sadly not made out of gold!:(

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose :D.

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Top shelf set of shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam.

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set these.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

5 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

A story and pictures worth of an Indiana Jones, Gerold! Now get back to the claim and take the remaining gold before your passenger comes back. That's going to be a surprise!

Well, I agree and disagree at the same time here. Yes, it is right that OLC SA is a bit lacking in some areas, and that OLC EU is a bit more appealing in general. But I think that this is due to the fact that Europe is a much more densely populated continent. Northern Russia doesn't look particularly better than some far off locations in OLC SA. The rainforest is a bit disappointing, though, just too dry imho.

On the other hand... Monument Valley is a separate purchase, not included in OLC NA. New Zealand and PNW are Orbx regions of the "full fat" kind, they are not openLC. That's a different scope. So you are comparing two different ranges of products, but I also think that South America could have gotten even more love.

Thank you Lars, especially for the comparison with Doctor Jones.

Re the other discussion: You are right, comparing OLC with a full fat region is not fair. But I would have expected some world-renowed POIs, like those Carlos mentioned. We surely could make a list in order to help. 

For northern Russia there will be no officially known POIs, but I am sure I have already posted some RL shots of what I would expect there.

2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Great looking OLC SA despite the little cascade.

Thank you Ben... and see my avsim find just some centimeters below.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:23 PM, bernd1151 said:

Here you got it Bernd. Just a slight difference, but decisive.

e5c5uql.jpg

Archived