Checking the gap

@Captain Lars has made me aware of the dangerous jungle in Darién in south Panama, where no roads would be existing and indigenous tribes live. Even more, the area surrounding the border with Colombia is known as the Darién Gap, a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest. With no roads, it is the missing link of the Pan-American Highway, and probably ecologically unique https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap .

I took off from the north end of the Panama Canal, Colon...

bWjcr9I.jpg

... turned over the Gatun locks...

i74sHGn.jpg

... and the Gatun lake ...

ad2Ab9L.jpg

... in southerly direction,  ...

iReNqYW.jpg

... until I encountered the Pacific.

34OChVP.jpg

Here we are at the Darién rainforest...

YV6IqBX.jpg

... turning inland over Jaque airfield...

QekBXfg.jpg

... just to find out the Cerro Tacarcuna is quite high! Really an area where building streets has not been initiated for good reasons. Not forgetting the spiders, snakes, and the most dangerous animal around: the Anopheles mosquito (it is supposed to have killed approx 22000 French (forced) workers during their attempt to build the Panama Canal).

5f1Ivoj.jpg

Entering Colombia at the Golfo de Uraba...

uUd2Zdg.jpg

... with some variations of weather.

1LpVoii.jpg

NqfbexE.jpg

Into Cartagena. Just like Gold Coast or San Sebastian the airport is beautifully located on the coast. And the city shoud be as nice as Dubrovnik...

20zqLo4.jpg

TnHcT7U.jpg

dGqigab.jpg

A very nice and informative flight Gerold, thanks for all the info! I have been to Panama a few times in RL, to include driving over the Panama canal more than a few times. Quite impressive to see a large freighter what looks to be sitting in the middle of the jungle. Then you realize it's in the canal ;) The Panamanian jungle is something else too...there are like 8000 living things in that triple canopy that can harm you, maim you, or kill you. Some of my favorite highlights are Black Palm, the Arrow Frog, and the giant Leaf Cutter Ants. Oh, and lets not forget the sharks that populate a lot of the rivers, as they swim in from the ocean. Good times! 

Anyhow, nice set of shots! 

Beautiful set Gerold and some interesting information too.

It is amazing how such a small insect like a mosquito can easily kill you.

There must still be so many undiscovered creatures and plants in the jungle there.

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

A very nice and informative flight Gerold, thanks for all the info! I have been to Panama a few times in RL, to include driving over the Panama canal more than a few times. Quite impressive to see a large freighter what looks to be sitting in the middle of the jungle. Then you realize it's in the canal ;) The Panamanian jungle is something else too...there are like 8000 living things in that triple canopy that can harm you, maim you, or kill you. Some of my favorite highlights are Black Palm, the Arrow Frog, and the giant Leaf Cutter Ants. Oh, and lets not forget the sharks that populate a lot of the rivers, as they swim in from the ocean. Good times! 

Anyhow, nice set of shots! 

I envy your trips to that place. Not because of that 8000 living things, of course... . Thanks for this lively comment, Landon!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful set Gerold and some interesting information too.

It is amazing how such a small insect like a mosquito can easily kill you.

There must still be so many undiscovered creatures and plants in the jungle there.

There are some pharma reserach projects ongoing trying to isolate undiscovered actived from these jungles - who knows what diseases they may cure. Or cause...

It was a major breakthrough for the Canal construction by the Americans when they changed the policy from "hire & fire" to "protect workers & families from Malaria". This even cause some stuff like "experience" to evolve. Seems that progress becomes lost nowadays...

30 minutes ago, Almedin said:

Nice flight man the graphics is absolutely stunning!

Cheers,

Almedin

Thank you, Almedin!

19 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed your flight and the commentary.  Also the shots of that area are very good.

Thank you John. The light was varying on that trip - like the weather...!

17 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Gerold. Interesting wildlife. But you ain't gonna catch me there no matter how many beers you might tempt me with:wacko::P:D

I´m with you Karl. Not that kind of wildlife I am desperately looking for.

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Great flight and info Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

11 hours ago, paulb said:

Super shots Gerold! Your sea and clouds look great! :)

Thanks Paul. I think REX does a spectacular job here, providing the textures requested by AS16 and OLC.

10 minutes ago, Tino said:

Nice screenshots! Love the King Air's. Makes for a great airport hopper. B)

Yes she is, Tino. Reasonably fast & with comfortaple autopilot functions (and power), but still able to reach short runways.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great tour Gerold, but how do you know where you are?  Do you use google earth like Martyn does?

Thank you Jack. For me it is all preparation. With Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/, like this:

KK7ucZg.jpg

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Don't know yet as I want to keep the least amount of stuff on it.

Wise. Simply wise.

The total luxury would be keeping the old machine for the unhygienic stuff, I mean everything else but simming.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Wise. Simply wise.

The total luxury would be keeping the old machine for the unhygienic stuff, I mean everything else but simming.

Thanks Gerold but I have no room for it.  I put it up for sale at a different web site and got a lot of views but not one post, such is life.  I no longer need it and if I had the money and knew someone who needed it REAL bad I'd probably send it for free if they paid shipping.

Thanks for your comment, @Iain Emms !

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Gerold, these are truly beautiful shots from Darién that you show us here, though I'm surprised that the rainforest actually looks quite dry. Wonderful weather, too!

Thank you for your inspiration, lars. Have you been hiking there? And enjoyed the variations of weather that AS16 also presented?

OLC does not make these tropical zones as authentic as PNG, a slight pity. Not too many trees as well.

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks for your comment, @Iain Emms !

Thank you for your inspiration, lars. Have you been hiking there? And enjoyed the variations of weather that AS16 also presented?

OLC does not make these tropical zones as authentic as PNG, a slight pity. Not too many trees as well.

I've never been there... :( I should add this region to my flightplans, though! I very much neglected Central America.

Archived