Oh, wie schön ist Panama!

Probably you all know this children´s book, either from your own, your children´s or your grandchildren´s youth. In case you are not familiar with the German title, the slightly different translation is

TqRzi1z.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janosch

With the AW-109 now officially adapted to p3dv4 I flew from Tocumen airport over la Ciudad de Panama...

nzlJzHP.jpg

MsXBbQg.jpg

... to the Miraflores locks at the Pacific side of the Panama Canal. If you got some time: Worth reading! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal

JHoN5py.jpg

Following the Rio Chagres...

Z4fOh62.jpg

... and over Gatun Lake...

IJ41CgV.jpg

... to the Gatun (Aqua Clara) locks on the Atlantic side. I did not pay any toll for the Canal passage, even cheaper than Richard Halliburton: The lowest toll ever paid was 36 cents (equivalent to $5.13 in 2017), by American Richard Halliburton who swam the Panama Canal in 1928. Interesting life, btw, see the link and enjoy reading!

7lCFpk3.jpg

The city of Colon, with Enrique Adolfo Jiminez airport - totally deserted so not worth a picture.

Xi3XJWx.jpg

TYNI65P.jpg

Very interesting pictures of a very interesting scenery to look at. Sadly the Schleusen don't match the water boundaries so no ship could really cross them. And thanks for the title...

The Darién peninsula, also in Panama, at the colombian border, is one of the most remote and isolated places on earth having no roads crossing it, but some hostile tribes inhabiting it, as far as I know...

47 minutes ago, BradB said:

I can't decide which side I like best Gerold , your shots all look nice . :rolleyes::D:)

Cheers

John

Thank you John. Be it the Pacific or Atlantic side, port or starbord. I hope your house will soon look like the lock´s chambers: Dry (again).

41 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I'm with John, this new helicopter makes them all look great!

Thank you Jack, a nice 6-seater to travel with the virtual family. But I do not have a yellow livery!

9 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Very interesting pictures of a very interesting scenery to look at. Sadly the Schleusen don't match the water boundaries so no ship could really cross them. And thanks for the title...

The Darién peninsula, also in Panama, at the colombian border, is one of the most remote and isolated places on earth having no roads crossing it, but some hostile tribes inhabiting it, as far as I know...

I could not resist to make it the German title here, as the English one does not match good enough. Just like the (nicely modeled) locks, which probably do not match good enough to make Henriks ships pass...

Interesting read on the Darién peninsula, I´ll change my next routing now!

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Blimey, sounds like North Shepparton!:o:ph34r::ph34r:

4 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic set of shots Jerold they have reminded me when I went on a cruse and went on the Panama railway all along the panama canal and went to the Locks and se a ships

going through I will never forget that regards EMM

Thank you Stewart. What a great experience to have travelled this area in a slightly uncommon way!

1 hour ago, Bermuda425 said:

Nicely done! Hope you had Tigerente aboard!

Surely I had, Bermuda, surely!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful and interesting set Gerold.

Good to see you are enjoying your revitalised chopper too.:)

Thanks Martyn. Not too much missing now, only QW (1) and Aerosoft (too many).

59 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Blimey, sounds like North Shepparton!:o:ph34r::ph34r:

Some dangerous places we have to avoid, good that we learn about them here on the forum ;)!

17 hours ago, Almedin said:

Very realistic mate! Thanks for this!

Cheers,

Almedin

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Sweet set of shots Gerold! :)

Thank you both for reading my little geography & history lesson!

4 hours ago, Buffy Foster said:

Really nice pix and heli! :)

Thank you Buffy. And thanks to Nemeth Designs.

47 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

Very nice shots Gerold, looks like you also caught a shot of a drug dealer speedboat racing in Rio Chagres (in shot number 4), considering the splash around the ship!

Thank you Francois. No need for drug deals in Panama, the profits on tax crime are much higher. Including the licensing on sports pro photos, megayacht ownership and all this other garbage.

Archived