Progress can be tricky...!

Taking off from Iquitos I learned why this is called "rainforest"...

2018-5-5_20-17Iquitos.jpg

... but after flying some 100 km westwards (towards the Andes) the cloud layer got thinner.
2018-5-5_20-43-37-939.jpg
2018-5-5_20-44-13-88.jpg

Closing in to our destination, the valley of Quito. We all learned (at latest from the FSX mission) that Quito has one of the most difficult approaches; besides the fact that the Aeropuerto Internacional Mariscal Sucre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mariscal_Sucre_International_Airport is surrounded by mountains, it is also located at 9228 ft altitude. Well, officially it was, since the airport was relocated in 2013 by about 10 miles towards a lower location at "only" 7874 ft altitude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariscal_Sucre_International_Airport . This could be confusing, since both airports have the same name...
2018-5-5_21-29Quitovalley.jpg
2018-5-5_21-30-48-821.jpg

The navigation system of the Q400 has current NAVDATA, so it guides us directly towards the location of the new airport. Our ATC also knows the current situation and gives permission to land. The only problem is: The scenery still is in 2006 state, so this is how the location of the new airport looks like in P3D...:
2018-5-5_21-35Newairportlocation.jpg

Not the best place to land, so I try to circle back to downwind. As you see the "pull up" lights, you can imagine the sound in front of my computer. Wifey was getting nervous as well...
2018-5-5_21-36pullup.jpg

Bingo. Found the old runway. Not much fuel left, btw, by far not "bingo" level...
2018-5-5_21-43bingo.jpg

The PFD shows perfect vertical and horizontal guidance by the FMS / ILS. At least the visibility was good...
2018-5-5_21-44noILSnoFMS.jpg

Not the best landing, but smooth, and with some drops of fuel left.
2018-5-5_21-46SEQM.jpg

Sometimes these new airports present unexpected challenges to us simmers - imagine what will happen when OLC Asia comes up, with only few airports still being in the 2006 state...:blink:

Wonderful flight and narration Gerold.

Please be careful how you land the plane with its glass undercarriage.:ph34r:

Indeed one of the problems of new airports like the one at Badgery's Creek in Sydney.:huh:

It was big news when I came to Oz in '81 but I have still been unable to find it.:lol:

OLC Asia will be interesting in that respect especially in China!:unsure:

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful flight and narration Gerold.

Please be careful how you land the plane with its glass undercarriage.:ph34r:

Thank you Martyn!

I am usually waiting to let the steel undercarriage down until I see the runway. Today this was wise, as the glass version did not have too much aerodynamical effect...

4 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Indeed one of the problems of new airports like the one at Badgery's Creek in Sydney.:huh:

It was big news when I came to Oz in '81 but I have still been unable to find it.:lol:

OLC Asia will be interesting in that respect especially in China!:unsure:

Plus one. I fear most of the locations I will be flying could be incorrectly placed. That would not be funny... :o!

That was great Gerold, that old FSX mission was one of my favorites, I used to do it all the time.  Nice flying the Q400 too, I miss this bird since I uninstalled it in frustration with the flight control config program hassles.

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Closing in to our destination, the valley of Quito. We all learned (at latest from the FSX mission) that Quito has one of the most difficult approaches

Nice flight Gerold !

Did you notice in the sim the beautiful volcano close to the city ? (Impossible to miss there in real world)

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was great Gerold, that old FSX mission was one of my favorites, I used to do it all the time.  Nice flying the Q400 too, I miss this bird since I uninstalled it in frustration with the flight control config program hassles.

I liked some of these missions as well, I wonder if we can port them to p3d...?

I remember you had trouble with the controls of the Majestic, very sorry to hear that - and it worked smoothly on my side :blink:...

5 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

What an exciting flight Gerold! I was on the edge of my virtual seat! This could be an episode on "Gerold's Dangerous Flight" :D

Thank you for understanding, Landon. And you didn´t even hear the repeated "Terrain, terrain. Pull up, pull up!"... :D

400 lbs (10 mins) of fuel left after the sucessful discovery of the old Mariscal Sucre airport... :ph34r:!

5 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thanks, Iain!

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Nice flight Gerold !

Did you notice in the sim the beautiful volcano close to the city ? (Impossible to miss there in real world)

Sorry Jean marc, I did not. Maybe the clouds, maybe the little stressful approach :D!

3 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Super set of shots Gerold  regards EMM

Thank you Stewart. At least there were some mountains for your plesure in this post!

10 hours ago, mikee said:

Nice Shots Gerold , i like the plane a lot :)

Thanks, Mikee. The Q400 is both trusty and challenging, well suited for these short-distance flights!

12 hours ago, adambar said:

Splendid flight and shots Gerold, with a little suspense thrown in! :)

Thank you Adam. The suspense came just from nature and the sim discrepancies, not intended by me or Mr. Alfred H. ... :D

9 hours ago, paulb said:

A difficult and interesting flight Gerold! :)

Thnak you Paul. I did expect a difficult landing, but not THAT difficult...!

Archived