Another climbing challenge

Stillwater

If you start a flight at the highest international airport of the planet, you do not expect you will need to climb too much during the remaining flight, do you? In fact, the city and airport of El Alto have an average elevation of 4,150 m (13,615 ft), so breathing can already be considered as work here.

2018-4-30_14-4ElAlto.jpg

Climbing over El Alto, with La Paz in the background (in fact it is in the valley behind El Alto).
2018-4-30_14-19LaPaz.jpg

The Lago Titicaca is very close. And very big (takes 1 h to cross it with the Twotter). And very dirty, as only 10 % of its water have an outlet in liquid form. Its name might be derived from Titi (which could be translated as lead) and caca (potentially in its meaning of grey). It is suspected that a vegetable which some of us have already seen has its origin at its banks: A plant called "potato".
2018-4-30_14-27LagoTiticaca.jpg

No too much to see here, we are at 19700 ft.

2018-4-30_14-29-45-914.jpg

Potentially some potato spirit causes these vector limits at the northern end of the lake.
2018-4-30_14-53vectorlimit.jpg

In Peru the climate allows for some agricultural use...
2018-4-30_14-57Peru.jpg

... but we are heading north to cross the Andes...

2018-4-30_15-46-28-859.jpg

Basically I would like to descend here...

2018-4-30_15-49-47-648.jpg

... does not look too safe...

2018-4-30_15-50-37-638.jpg

... and the famous airport of Quincemil does not look too interesting either. Famous it is for the FSX users that flew missions. We´ll skip it today.

2018-4-30_15-56Quincemil.jpg

The problem is we will have to climb again to get back towards the Peru highlands...

2018-4-30_15-58-3-166.jpg

... and the engines of the Twotter do not like to be overheated like this:

2018-4-30_15-59climbtemp.jpg

OK, that should work.

2018-4-30_16-6-52-165.jpg

And here is our destination of today: Cuzco. Seeing the mountains around it might be an easier approach by bus...

2018-4-30_16-26Cuzco.jpg

... especially when you see these planespotter houses just in the final to rwy 10. But the strength of the Twotter is steep & slow approaches, so this is no problem. Today. Try this with a commercial jetliner...
2018-4-30_16-34SPZOfinal.jpg

Superb flight and some really amazing shots, Gerold. You really pushed the Twotter to its limits

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Potentially some potato spirit causes these vector limits at the northern end of the lake.

:D:D

Really well done Gerold as well as your narrative.  Imagine living that high?  I lived in Denver for six months at one mile up, took me a few days to get used to it, this is what, 2.57 miles up.  How in the world do these people get acclimated to this altitude?  And I wonder how the feel if they go to sea level?

Great set of captures, narrative and humor Gerold...oh, and some pretty good flying displayed too! And Jack, where I live is higher even then Denver...took me about 6 months to acclimate in general, but even still acclimating a bit more. The trick is lots and lots of hydration ;) 

First class set Gerold and some interesting facts in your narrative.

I hope you grabbed some of those tatties to cook on your red hot engines when you landed and washed down with some "potato spirits."

17 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Superb flight and some really amazing shots, Gerold. You really pushed the Twotter to its limits

:D:D

Thanks Bernd. Really surprising how fast the engines lose power at this altitude. I am unsure how I would feel to sit in a real one at the limit :o.

16 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Gerold. Nice narrative. The red gauges are a bit scary. Mebby them engines would run a wee bit cooler with the Potato spirits.:P:D

Thank you Karl. There was no spirit left to cool the engines down, so I had to further reduce throttles -_-.

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Really well done Gerold as well as your narrative.  Imagine living that high?  I lived in Denver for six months at one mile up, took me a few days to get used to it, this is what, 2.57 miles up.  How in the world do these people get acclimated to this altitude?  And I wonder how the feel if they go to sea level?

Thanks Jack. I am sure they are well trained - by nature. The city of La Paz itself lies 400 m below its (bigger) sister El Alto. Means the commuters have to face 400 m every evening at this altitude. Wikipedia says they consider to build a ropeway for years, but still with no financial success.

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Great set of captures, narrative and humor Gerold...oh, and some pretty good flying displayed too! And Jack, where I live is higher even then Denver...took me about 6 months to acclimate in general, but even still acclimating a bit more. The trick is lots and lots of hydration ;) 

If you get back to Hawaii you´ll be able to face the Ironman with no further preparation, Landon B).

And: Thanks for the compliments!

4 hours ago, adambar said:

Super flight and captures Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

First class set Gerold and some interesting facts in your narrative.

I hope you grabbed some of those tatties to cook on your red hot engines when you landed and washed down with some "potato spirits."

Thank you Martyn. Your comment shows exactly the spirit I like!

PS: I will not invite any Guinea pigs to that dinner, today we stay on the veggie side.

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

If you get back to Hawaii you´ll be able to face the Ironman with no further preparation, Landon B).

Well, that is a good consideration Gerold, and I actually do compete in triathlons, but only at the sprint and olympic distances....far shorter than the venerable Ironman distance ;) There is that, and I don't desire to return to Hawaii...I am quite happy and comfortable in a mountain, non-tropical environment :) All that said, there are LOTS of triathletes and cyclists from all over the globe that train here in Colorado due to the elevation and the non-humid weather. 

Archived