Libraries used for Orbx software in XPlane 11

renault

This is really just a curiosity question as I am relatively new to XPlane 11.

I noticed in my installation of EGCB Barton that there is a section for Orbx libraries, objects and and veg which are populated (I'm assuming this contains all the custom objects required by the scenery)

Is the general structure going forward that all objects required for the Orbx scenery will be defined in this way or will there be instances in which objects defined in freeware scenery libraries may also get used/required or even accidentally accessed  if I mess up the scenery_packs.ini order.  I use FTX Central 3 to install, but I also have a number of freeware sceneries which I also use.

In other words are all the object names specific to Orbx scenery and is the scenery design structure such that  an object name for example, such as grass1.for in the veg folder  of "\Custom Scenery\Orbx_EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City\veg " would be referenced uniquely and therefore not be retrieved from a freeware object library which might have the same name for the object.

Thank you

Cheers

Renault

Only items specifically listed in a library can be used in other scenery and there is nothing shared out publicly from this scenery (Just having an object in the scenery by itself doesn't mean someone else can link to it). Anyone who uses objects referenced in a private scenery's library isn't going to get very far since their scenery would break if they didn't have the payware airport installed.

As for clashes, any library objects that may end up in a future shared ORBXLibs would be appropriately prefixed with "ORBX" so that any freeware developer would know what it was.  i.e. We would not purposely overwrite a default object or something in OpenSceneryX with the same name, because then we would have the exact problem you are referring to :)

10 hours ago, tonywob said:

Only items specifically listed in a library can be used in other scenery and there is nothing shared out publicly from this scenery (Just having an object in the scenery by itself doesn't mean someone else can link to it). Anyone who uses objects referenced in a private scenery's library isn't going to get very far since their scenery would break if they didn't have the payware airport installed.

As for clashes, any library objects that may end up in a future shared ORBXLibs would be appropriately prefixed with "ORBX" so that any freeware developer would know what it was.  i.e. We would not purposely overwrite a default object or something in OpenSceneryX with the same name, because then we would have the exact problem you are referring to :)

Thank you Tony:)

I appreciate your quick response , and I now understand how it all works. Your explanation was clear , concise and really helpful

Cheers

Renault

Archived