Preparing to have the batteries charged

Stillwater

The next leg of my South America tour takes us across some of the dryer areas of this planet... and, once again, with only little FTX trees. Slowly climbing the heavy one out of Antofagasta...

2018-4-21_16-43Antofagasta.jpg
2018-4-21_16-43-18-897.jpg

... and heading a bit north, then east...
2018-4-21_16-56-51-834.jpg

... we need to wear our pilot´s Ray Bans looking out of the righ window:

2018-4-21_17-11Lithium.jpg

The world´s largest salt flats, the Salar de Uyuni https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni . It contains 50 % to 70 % of the world's known lithium reserves, so probably everyone of us carries a piece of it in his pockets.

2018-4-21_17-12SalardeUyuni.jpg

After long time the first human settlement we see: Oruro. And it even has a runway!

2018-4-21_17-24Oruro.jpg

But we descend into the Central Valle de Cochamba - slightly confused, as the ground altitude varies between 8000 and 11000 feet, which makes descending a matter of trust...

2018-4-21_17-30ValleCentraldeCo.jpg
2018-4-21_17-34Ground11000.jpg

Not that I heard much about Cochabamba before this flight. In fact it is Bolivia´s 4th biggest city, and famous for the Cochabamba water war in 2000, when 3 companies formed a JV and rised water prices by factor 3, causing massive protests https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochabamba_Water_War .
2018-4-21_17-35Cochabamba.jpg
2018-4-21_17-36-44-224.jpg

Pushed the brakes to the metal...
2018-4-21_17-39SCLB.jpg

... and taxied into Georg Wilstermanns Airport.

2018-4-21_17-41JorgeWilsterman.jpg

With so few tree's Gerold , maybe turn on the P3D Speed tree's ; at least there might be some movement . :unsure::rolleyes:;):D BTW - love the shots and the beast of plane you are flying . :wub:B)

Cheers

John

Very interesting flight here Gerold, with some nice historical bits mixed in :) What's all the hub bub about your trees? Is there something wrong with your tree scenery? Is this just simply a sparse tree region? What was the comment about small trees? I guess I have missed something from another thread maybe? 

Excellent series Gerold and your C-17 is wearing a very different coat today.

Maybe when you have finished your treeless trip you could fly across the Nullarbor here in Oz.

Amazing when you think of what the Amazon Basin is at the present time covered in trees.

I wonder how long before it looks like this!

19 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

super set of shots Gerold  regards EMM

Thank you, Stewart!

19 hours ago, BradB said:

With so few tree's Gerold , maybe turn on the P3D Speed tree's ; at least there might be some movement . :unsure::rolleyes:;):D BTW - love the shots and the beast of plane you are flying . :wub:B)

Cheers

John

Thanks for the compliment on the shots - and the beast. It is a "crtl-e"-type one, if you manage to climb slowly...

19 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Very interesting flight here Gerold, with some nice historical bits mixed in :) What's all the hub bub about your trees? Is there something wrong with your tree scenery? Is this just simply a sparse tree region? What was the comment about small trees? I guess I have missed something from another thread maybe? 

Thank you Landon, I may ask you some questions about the facts in a later post... :D. It is simply a region with very few trees, but if you have this for some longer flights you start to miss something!

14 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent series Gerold and your C-17 is wearing a very different coat today.

Maybe when you have finished your treeless trip you could fly across the Nullarbor here in Oz.

Amazing when you think of what the Amazon Basin is at the present time covered in trees.

I wonder how long before it looks like this!

I wanted to change clothes whilst using a fast plane, and I am glad you like it, Martyn! Indeed the Null Arbor area has a similarity in some respect to the deserts here... but I´ll be able to jump into some more foresty area from today´s destination quickly!

10 hours ago, paulb said:

Great tour shots Gerold! :)

Thank, Paul!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very interesting flight Gerold, I liked them all.

Thank you Jack. The best livery I can show you with the Globemaster.

Thank you !! It is the real Andean Bolivia. There is a colorful and really authentic carnaval at Oruro - full of music and wonderful people

The salar is amazing to see - driving a full day with clouds reflection on the water mask on the salt lake... (I've been there travelling with rucksack 20 years ago and would be happy to go in back...one day I will do it with my children)... And close is the amazonian bassin just after LaPaz behind the mountains : the true jungle full of sounds, plants and animals (still to explore as we only now less than 10% of the living species) :)

On 25.4.2018 at 6:39 PM, Iain Emms said:

Very nice shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thnka you, Iain!

On 24.4.2018 at 10:40 PM, Orbxtreme said:

Far away the days when you would only fly little single engines Gerold!^_^  Very interesting text with your shots!

Haha, and this plane is far away from a single engine one! I just wanted something fast which still can land with steep approaches on short runways.

I like to know a bit about the territory I pass during flights, even if it is only virtual...!

On 24.4.2018 at 9:27 PM, jean marc said:

Thank you !! It is the real Andean Bolivia. There is a colorful and really authentic carnaval at Oruro - full of music and wonderful people

The salar is amazing to see - driving a full day with clouds reflection on the water mask on the salt lake... (I've been there travelling with rucksack 20 years ago and would be happy to go in back...one day I will do it with my children)... And close is the amazonian bassin just after LaPaz behind the mountains : the true jungle full of sounds, plants and animals (still to explore as we only now less than 10% of the living species) :)

Merci bien Jean Marc for your colourful response. Some great experience you share here, and a great plan for your future travels.

My next virtual flight plan is already made, and it will do exactly what you describe here: Just head a bit north and I´ll have the FTX trees back on my screen. Unfortunately the sound will not reach into my cockpit...

Archived