FTX Central and manual download, how to install?

tbaac

Hi.  I'm struggling with this one, bit embarrassing as I work with computers, anyway....

When I click 'Open in FTX Central' on L52 or on EGCB, it doesn't seem to work.

My copy of FTX Central opens, or flashes in the task bar if it is already open.  But I don't see any reference to xplane, L52 or Manchester Barton.

I tried the manual download for EGCB and this seemed to be a zip file with loads of nested zips files inside and I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Regarding FTX Central, it runs as admin on my PC whereas I don't run xplane 11 as an administrator.  Is it possible to run FTX Central as a non-admin or shouldn't that make a difference?

I'm using Windows 10, xplane 11.11 I think and FTX Central v3.2.5.7.

I have a number of older FSX or P3D OrbX airports and regions installed but I haven't used them for a while (as I don't use those sims now).

Thanks. 

Okay, found the answer in one of the other threads I think (I had tried searching but hadn't come up with anything yesterday).

Quoting Nick in one of the other threads:

FTX Central appears to look for C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt
to read where X Plane has been installed.

I had a problem with my hard disk a while back and installed a new one with a new drive letter.  That file still referenced the old drive and file path.  Updated it and now when I start FTX Central it asks which simulator I want to update.  So, probably can mark this one as solved.

Out of interest though, how does the manual install work?  The instructions on the forum just seem to say to extract it into the xplane11 folder.  Is that the Custom Scenery folder or the base folder?  Does it need renaming?  Would I need to unzip every zip file individually?  (there look to be hundreds of them).

Thanks.

edit: This was complicated by the 'admin' part.  My regular user had a valid install location under their AppData folder but the admin user didn't.

If you want to install manually, you must download a "cross-platform" version from  your account. This option is only for payware. There is no option for freeware.

I do not yet have a solution. Unfortunately. I want to manage my things in X-Plane myself.

On 22/04/2018 at 7:50 PM, tbaac said:

Out of interest though, how does the manual install work?  The instructions on the forum just seem to say to extract it into the xplane11 folder.  Is that the Custom Scenery folder or the base folder?  Does it need renaming?  Would I need to unzip every zip file individually?  (there look to be hundreds of them).

Thanks.

Please see this guide for how to use the manual downloads: https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000096555-Installing-from-a-manually-downloaded-zip

4 hours ago, letec said:

If you want to install manually, you must download a "cross-platform" version from  your account.

The issue in the topic you mentioned is unrelated to this topic (in the OP you'll see they mention they have downloaded a .zip with nested .zips). They're not talking about the cross-platform files

Archived