EGCB Manchester City Airport video reveiw

Ed Correia

I seem to be saying this over and over again since day one.  Too bad, I'm going to say it again.

Unbelievable, Awesome. Scenery just can't get better than this can it? Congratulations.

Jim/NZ

It looks very good.....apart from the bridge. That looks rather crude to me. One side seems to drop down rather abruptly, and the other side appears to be built up on top of an earth bank (which is not the case in the real world). Is the bridge actually part of the Barton Airport scenery, or is it part of the default XP11 scenery?

First off l need to clarify, i love Orbx products and in P3D & FSX, could not survive without them. I have almost every product except one.

But XP is a very different Platform to P3D & FSX as we all know.  Many highly skilled freeware developers, and low cost sceneries help to make it a great additional platform to fly in at low cost. But the downside of this is it makes it difficult for companies to produce at a price that earns a fair return for their efforts.

l am not a financially well off person due to a serious spinal injury, so my purchases have to be done probably alot more carefully than others out there. l purchased EGCB i guess expecting something WOW based on comments, but l am really sorry to say that for me, this is the first purchase of an Orbx product where l dont feel it met my expectations for the price in the XP market, esp in comparison say to KAWO from another company.

Guys, please dont hate me for saying this, but whilst the airport is up to all the usual high standards of Orbx, the XP platform is a different market as l am sure many realise. Miegs was well priced due to the cross platform discount. But the diffculty for any company making scenery for XP is,  it just has to be looked at in a very different way, and it has to offer something unique and alot of it.

l look forward to Orbx products for the XP platform as Orbx learn’s and develops in this area, esp the TrueEarth sceneries which will be very unique for the XP market. But l have to be honest that i just don’t feel the price point vs product was a good purchase based on what is out there in the XP relm.  I hope my comments can be looked at, not as an attack on Orbx in anyway (far from it), but as an opinion from a different angle than others,  that may allow Orbx to maybe think about some different XP strategies in this very difficult XP Platform.

Again my deepest apologies.

Spacey

This is a fantastic add-on especially as I learned to fly at Barton and it is hard to se how the airport itself could be improved. The only quibble is the Trafford  Centre is only shown as a photo image really only visible from above whereas in real life it is a very distinctive structure visible from several miles away. I was wondering if there is a reason for this such as getting permission from the owners maybe? That say, an excellent product, looking forward to the next release!

Nice to see GLFSM there, in which I learned to fly :)

Wycliffe needs a crash course in geography as the bridge he flew under was NOT the Thelwall viaduct :P

That pedantry aside, the scenery looks pretty good.  I share Chris Low's feelings about the M60 bridge, it hasn't been done justice.  Also, some of the other large buildings nearby are not represented in 3D, however I don't know whether they were simply outside the scope of this scenery or will be covered when TrueEarth England is released...

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

It looks very good.....apart from the bridge

Yep the bridge in this video looks very odd. It seems the issue is the older RC simulations photoscenery mesh being used . It seems in the original mesh, the bridge is shown as raised land which produces this oddity seen in the video. When used with default scenery or Ortho4XP, this isn't present.

Do I answer these critic's or not.  Nah, I know I'll only get into trouble, not worth it.  I know personally, I absolutely 'love' it.  There has been a tremendous amount of hard work put into this and (I think his name is Tony) Tony, I sure am glad you have joined Orbx as the company will be far the better off having you in the clan.

Jim.

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

Yep the bridge in this video looks very odd. It seems the issue is the older RC simulations photoscenery mesh being used . It seems in the original mesh, the bridge is shown as raised land which produces this oddity seen in the video. When used with default scenery or Ortho4XP, this isn't present.

Ah that makes sense :) Cheers Tony.  Just need a P3D version now please :)

Thank you very much for this stunning scenery. I learned to fly at Barton and completed the IMC rating in the Grob-115. I then flew the PA28 Warrior as my staple. I also had a splendid week flying a PA34 Seneca from Barton to Sleap for circuits and back to Barton. Since the scenery was released and when the weather has allowed, I have taken to the skies in X-plane, flying circuits and local flights in a PA28R. I flew on Vatsim at the weekend and Barton AFIS  was live, it was absolutely fantastic. I almost felt that if I had climbed out of the aircraft, I could have had a coffee in the old LAC clubhouse. I can't wait for your future UK delights! What a great time it is for flight simulation.

I do have ortho4xp surrounding the airfield, and across England but have the peculiar Barton Bridge roller coaster. I may have missed this in other posts but if anyone can advise on how to fix this, it would be a great help. Thanks once again and best wishes to you.

Archived