Two Anomalies at Anacortes

Stillwater

Approaching into Anacortes I saw 2 anaomalies:

A flying ship in the harbour (and this is not the Netherlands scenery :D!)...:

2018-4-15_13-3FlyingShip.jpg

... and confusing big runway and taxiway lights:
2018-4-15_13-1374Sbiglights.jpg

I have Hendriks ships installed, as well as Drzewieckys Seattle (which should not touch this area).

43 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

I'm in Anacortes as we speak, in real life, all well here as far as I can see. :D:D.

Ferry is sitting at the dock, being a good little boat.

You lucky guy!

And good to learn all is well in RL. Often it seems mother nature models it after the Orbx example.

7 minutes ago, BradB said:

Jack must be departing 74S in another of his flying ships ........:o:rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

That would be a reasonable explanation. Though... the colour is not yellow :D!

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Could that be an FS9 model ship left over?

If you fly a bit closer, you could read the name.

There was a fix some time ago for P3D v4, if that's what you are using.

I´ll check it tomorrow - and, yes, I am using p3dv4.

On 15.4.2018 at 6:18 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Could that be an FS9 model ship left over?

If you fly a bit closer, you could read the name.

There was a fix some time ago for P3D v4, if that's what you are using.

Unbelievable... when I tried to repead the situation (same time, day and place) the flying ship was gone. Instead I saw some other just nortwest of 74S´s runway:

2018-4-16_19-12Anacortes.jpg

It has no name...
2018-4-16_19-14noname.jpg

... but it would also have problems with the dock. 

2018-4-16_19-14sunkendock.jpg

As you can see in the background Hendriks ships are doing well. I suspect these are default materials out of the old FS9 engine...? I can ignore them, but if there was a fix I´d use it happily.

Hello Gerold, 

The sinking ferry in your screenshot is  the default 'wash ferry sm' which is about 5 times the size of a typical WSF ferry, so who knows what 'sm' stands for.  Others have noted bizarre behavior of this boat in P3D v4.x. I don't know if the cause has been identified.

Have you watched the ferry prior to its near sinking? Does it pitch and gyrate about?  A couple of my PNW ferries had this problem when P3D v4.0 was released and I traced the problem to the elevation of the platform on the car deck. Very odd, but the solution was simple; the platform had to be above a certain height.  This default ferry does have a platform as I remember so it's possible that's related to what's going on.

This default ferry is controlled by the default trafficboats.bgl file. There should be a ships and ferries slider setting below which the route will be inactive so that would be one way of getting rid of this problem.  Sorry I don't have the slider percentage for this route handy.  

Since  my PNW ferries replace this boat, I have not bothered to try to track this problem down, but for those of you who know how to use ModelConverterX, it would be easy to remove the platform and check. That may or may not be the cause.

Thank you very much for your detailed analysis and help, @Larry_R ! I did not see the ferry before it was sinking - I just climbed out of 74S and discovered it. 

I use Hendriks ships and I am currently not aware of the threshold value that is needed to have them going. Therefore I will not change anything to the traffic setting and just ignore the ancient FSX remainders... I was also fortunate not to see the flying boat of picture #1 (on top of this post) again.

I feel you (or some other expert) could close this topic now.

Hi Gerold,

Henrik's world wide AI shipping is independent of the default ship and ferry traffic controlled by the trafficboats.bgl and  which is adjusted with the ships and ferries slider. So you can adjust or disable the default ships and ferries without affecting the world wide shipping add-on.  

1 hour ago, Larry_R said:

Hi Gerold,

Henrik's world wide AI shipping is independent of the default ship and ferry traffic controlled by the trafficboats.bgl and  which is adjusted with the ships and ferries slider. So you can adjust or disable the default ships and ferries without affecting the world wide shipping add-on.  

Hi Larry, good to know. I´ll do that, Henriks ships are much more beautiful as well!

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Hi Larry, good to know. I´ll do that, Henriks ships are much more beautiful as well!

Thanks for that comment :D I do check in here once in a while, and seeing your first screenshot I do think it is one of my ships flying high in the air... Are you sure you have the latest package installed? Flying ships started from P3D v3 and in the updated packages from Global AI Ship Traffic V1 we got them all down on the sea again... It is the first report I see of such a problem in v4. From v3 ship mdl files with a size above 300 m did behave odd so they had to be manipulated reducing the radius of the .mdl file. The issue with the low hard deck mentioned by Larry, I can confirm. 

Regarding threehold value - reduce ships and ferries to 10% and you will still have all my traffic but you eliminate almost all default traffic.

Henrik Nielsen

3 hours ago, kl791 said:

Thanks for that comment :D

Thank you (both) for jumping into my request. I have now reduced the general AI ship & leisure setting down to 10 % to keep them off.

The version I have installed is "200_AI_Ship_and_AI_Ship_Traffic_v2", with the main files being dated 2017_05_07. Did I miss something newer?

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you (both) for jumping into my request. I have now reduced the general AI ship & leisure setting down to 10 % to keep them off.

The version I have installed is "200_AI_Ship_and_AI_Ship_Traffic_v2", with the main files being dated 2017_05_07. Did I miss something newer?

The ship on the picture is older than that - it is the Maersk Nucleus. You also have the main package installed - anyway you discovered a mistake because this model has not had the radius reduced as mentioned above - I simply overlooked it. Many will never discover as the flying only happens with water set on ultra - I will update the mdl files for the next version and those interested can send me a PM for a corrected model file (Gerold  - a pm including two corrected ships is on the way to you).

Fantastic, Henrik. Not only is it very rare to find & notice a little gap like this, but it is also by chance that you saw this post - and found a solution. Community work at its best - and for the best pleasure.

Let me state that I enjoy your ship packages in their brilliant accuracy wherever I encounter them. Thank you so much, @kl791!

Archived