Meigs gone missing on my FTXC?

andy1252

I may know the answer to this, but I'd like to check anyway.

My XP-11 copy of KCGX is now showing up as "not installed" in FTX Central. It used to be ok but it's not now. I'm guessing that this is because I renamed the folders/directories it got installed in? (I renamed my XP-11 Custom Scenery sub-folders to include an AAA, LLL, OOO, or ZZZ prefix to indicate the type of scenery and to guarantee a workable order in the event of my scenery_packs.ini file getting hosed)

Everything works fine and is available under XP itself, so it's not an issue if FTXC thinks it ain't there, but curious as to what's happened. I guess if there are any updates though I'll have to "reinstall" the product?

6 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I'm guessing that this is because I renamed the folders/directories it got installed in

Me too.

I put X-Plane on a new drive and now FTX Central thinks I have 2 copies of it. Be interested in the answer as to how to correct it.

Incidentally, what happens to FTX Central when one puts a BETA copy of X-Plane on another drive, I wonder.

Hello Andy,

it looks like you are quite right.

As with other simulators, there is a version.txt file which FTX Central needs

to see to recognise a product as installed.

In renaming the folders, you have hidden that away from it.

Naturally, you won't see available updates for a product recorded as not installed.

You must decide which configuration you wish to keep

Hello Fizelle.

FTX Central appears to look for C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt

to read where X Plane has been installed.

I have not tried moving X Plane but I would think it possible that a move might add the

new location to this file without removing the old version entry.

That might explain why you see two versions in FTX Central.

I would think that if you add another version without editing "x-plane_install_11.txt", it might see three? 

Nick - with X-Plane issuing so many BETAs (primarily for VR at the moment), might it be worth adding an option in the Settings section of FTX Central to re-choose your flight sim drives and paths? Potentially stops messing up system files.

Just a thought.

34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Andy,

it looks like you are quite right.

As with other simulators, there is a version.txt file which FTX Central needs

to see to recognise a product as installed.

In renaming the folders, you have hidden that away from it.

Naturally, you won't see available updates for a product recorded as not installed.

You must decide which configuration you wish to keep

Hi Nick,

thanks for the info. I have found that file in the actual "airport" folder, along with a JSON file that lists the location of all three folders. At first I thought I could just amend the entries in the JSON file, but then I realised that this file is itself in one of the folders it points to (doh!) so presumably this sort of thing is actually hard coded into the FTX Central application? In otherwords, there's no way I can tell FTXC where to either install a product or where I have moved it after the fact?

Again, not a major issue, and I can perfectly understand why you as a company would want to retain control over something like product installation locations (support must be a big enough pain as it is <grin>), but just curious. With something like the Scenery Config Editor in P3D it's easy enough to work round any issues of scenery layer naming or order, but in XP it all feels a bit more rough and ready, but that may well be just my newbie status with XP.

Archived