UK / Ireland photoreal regions coming to XP, AFS2 and FSX/P3D!

John Venema

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HD Mesh V4 is freely available for Xplane which I believe (not certain) is higher resolution than the 10m mesh OrbX are using?

Will True Earth England for Xplane be compatible with HD Mesh V4 or is OrbX Mesh resolution for True Earth comparable anyway?

4 hours ago, david broome said:

HD Mesh V4 is freely available for Xplane which I believe (not certain) is higher resolution than the 10m mesh OrbX are using?

Will True Earth England for Xplane be compatible with HD Mesh V4 or is OrbX Mesh resolution for True Earth comparable anyway?

No, this is incorrect. The 10m mesh is much more detailed than the mesh with HD Mesh v4 which I believe comes from the SRTM data which isn't as detailed, it also doesn't use OpenStreetMap for the coastline and water features which means it is more accurate. 

You can only use one mesh at a time in X-Plane, and since the TrueEarth mesh is ortho based, if you disable it to use HD Mesh v4, then you won't get any orthos. Once you fly outside of TrueEarth, you can use HD Mesh v4 or whatever you have installed.

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

No, this is incorrect. The 10m mesh is much more detailed than the mesh with HD Mesh v4 which I believe comes from the SRTM data which isn't as detailed, it also doesn't use OpenStreetMap for the coastline and water features which means it is more accurate. 

You can only use one mesh at a time in X-Plane, and since the TrueEarth mesh is ortho based, if you disable it to use HD Mesh v4, then you won't get any orthos. Once you fly outside of TrueEarth, you can use HD Mesh v4 or whatever you have installed.

Many thanks for that.

It makes True Earth even more appealing.

just a thought, I know Aus is getting an update, and that the area itself will not be suitable for "the true earth treatment", but what about giving Tassie the true earth works? what are the thoughts on this?  Teecee.

Just out of curiosity, If the TrueEarth series contains it's own LC and Vector could I not just install Global and the current TrueEarth Netherlands? Currently I have all the regions, LC, Global, Vector, etc. and of course TrueEarth Netherlands sits on top of everything. I'm thinking all that bloat would not be necessary IF I were just to fly in the Netherlands.

I understand of course that if I install only those two products that the rest of the world would only be affected by Global scenery, however as each iteration of TrueEarth gets installed, I can add those and have a new area to fly in (eventually there may even be global coverage over the years).

For example, Lets say there TrueEarth Germany exists, wouldn't installing OPENLC Europe, Vector and Germany North/South region become redundant? Thinking I could save some space that way and perhaps cut down on the scenery loading time.

4 hours ago, AAN1718A said:

I'm thinking all that bloat would not be necessary IF I were just to fly in the Netherlands.

Correct. If you only intend to fly in TrueEarth regions you can uninstall OpenLC and Vector and FTX regions. TrueEarth offers everything on its own. You could also uninstall Global but then things will look ugly near the borders. I currently only have FTX Norway, TrueEarth Netherlands and Global installed because I only fly in Norway or the Netherlands. Global is installed just to make the borders look prettier.

BTW If you only fly in FTX regions (landclass) OpenLC and Vector are also not needed because FTX regions also offer everthing on their own.

• 1 month later...

JvE, living in Australia, using FTX scenery in Aus and NZ:  also enjoying flying in Europe and less frequently in North America I am hung up on sourcing scenery for much greater areas and I pay the penalty in storage and performance although I just might have to turn a lot more areas off in the scenery library than I ever think of doing now. And with really interesting airliners like the 777, 787 and 330 available then we who live down-under do on the sim what we do in reality.  Travel long-haul.

And if you ever want a break from NW Europe and Scandinavia I would strongly recommend you install New Zealand South and North Island and fly VFR there if that is your preference.  The country and the Orbx scenery is fantastic.

I am hanging out for the P3D version of UK True Earth and apart from anything else may have me changing my SSD to 1 terabyte.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning the photoscenery is looking really really good. I design Farm strip scenery for FSX/Prepar3d and I am writing guided tours around the Lake district in a microlight in the guise of Wainwright's Guides using Megascenery as my backdrop and was wondering if you needed any beta tester. Thanks. Neil birch

grasmere.png

westwoods walks vol-2-8-1.png

On 7/6/2018 at 7:42 AM, NEEBEE said:

Morning the photoscenery is looking really really good. I design Farm strip scenery for FSX/Prepar3d and I am writing guided tours around the Lake district in a microlight in the guise of Wainwright's Guides using Megascenery as my backdrop and was wondering if you needed any beta tester. Thanks. Neil birch

Hi Neil. Thanks for reaching out! At the moment we are at capacity for beta testers, but we appreciate your interest :)

I've actually flown a few of your Farm Strips on FSX:SE - they are good fun, especially in a Microlight!

Ok, now that I have read so much about true earth and global scenery and each region scenery I'm confused even more.  If I buy what I want and like the system will know which one to use and run?  I know if I add an airport my system will tell me to add an area.  I have the disk space should I just turn my whole world all blue.  Now it is black and blue.  (x plane 11 & AFS 2).  If you do respond please keep it in simple terms.    As you can read I have a simple mind but love to fly.

19 hours ago, DTH said:

Ok, now that I have read so much about true earth and global scenery and each region scenery I'm confused even more.  If I buy what I want and like the system will know which one to use and run?  I know if I add an airport my system will tell me to add an area.  I have the disk space should I just turn my whole world all blue.  Now it is black and blue.  (x plane 11 & AFS 2).  If you do respond please keep it in simple terms.    As you can read I have a simple mind but love to fly.

I am not entirely sure if I understand the question but whatever you buy: FTX Central, which is used to install all Orbx addons, will take care of everything: it knows when something should be used and activated and so on. Install and play! ;)

Take note though that at this moment ONLY airports are available for XP and AFS2 (which seems to be the only two sims you are using), so no regions, no global scenery, no TrueEarth, etc. which makes things quite simple at this moment. TrueEarth is being worked on though for AFS2 so hopefully we will see that one soon.

The so called landclass addons (FTX regions, FTX Global, OpenLC, Vector) will probably never be released for XP and AFS2 (certainly not for AFS2!) so as long as you stick with those two sims life will be fairly easy (because you only have to look at airport addons and TrueEarth regions). But well, as I said FTX Central is a great program which makes installing and using Orbx addons very easy anyway. So no need to worry about all that! ;)

If you also use Prepar3D you have a lot more options (all FTX regions, all global products) and things may become a bit more complicated, specially if you use FTX Vector, but still nothing to seriously worry about: you can always ask for help.

Thank you J Van E.  I will stop reading about FTX regions, FTX Global, OpenLC, Vector.  That was the part that was confusing me.  I do love to use FTX Central is makes

things simple for me.  I do look forward to TreEarth soon.  There are plenty of places to fly in and out of using AP and AFS2 so I feel there is no need for Prepar3D.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 7:40 AM, tonywob said:

Having lost, I deleted everything in a fit of pure fury :P.

Almost a month on, have you managed to recover what you scrapped lol? Joking aside, are you able to divulge any more info with regard to TrueEarth England? ... I'm also very curious to know if TrueEarth Netherlands will be released for Xplane any time soon? 

Regards

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

England is progressing well and we're starting internal beta testing. We'll have some news/announcements soon :)

Looking forward to it.  I've made so many grooves in the grass at Barton, airport management sent me a 'sodding' bill. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 7:42 AM, NEEBEE said:

Hey Neil loved your work, shame you did not continue to develop more of them! They are great for any real life pilot flying around here! 

Looking forward to the photo scenery by ORBX, Xplane's Orthoscenery are horrible and washed out and really ruin the experience, not sure how people can like them even if free... free generally means not good! It will be great to have these on a much more mature platform with way more addons such as P3D, hopefully we can see more screenshots and videos soon!

1 hour ago, Paul_Blythe said:

Thanks ... quite surprising that it hasn't been part of UK & Ireland packs so far. 

Maybe, because the Isle of Man is neither part of the United Kingdom nor of Ireland but is a self-governing Crown dependency, the same like the Channel Islands.

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Maybe, because the Isle of Man is neither part of the United Kingdom nor of Ireland but is a self-governing Crown dependency, the same like the Channel Islands.

Plus one from me for accuracy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Very soon, video and screenshots being made from the Beta2 build as we speak. Aiming for a release first week of October.

Awesome John thank you!! Day one purchase without a doubt!!!! One more question if I may as I cannot find info. Will TruEarth Holland be coming to XP any time soon? 

Regards

D

Please can you clarify.   There is Northern Ireland which is a smallish N.E Corner part of the island and there is Eire.  When we British and Europeans speak of Ireland it means the whole Island,  otherwise we call it Northern Ireland (supposed to be self governing, H'm) and Eire or Southern Ireland as we call it.

So, what is it being developed.  Northern,  Southern or both?

John

Hello John.

At present, neither, as the photoscenery is not yet available.

Due to the constraints of X Plane, geographical boundaries cannot be exactly followed and

I believe that the product may well be all of Ireland.

I am not invoved in the decision making and may be open to correction.

When I speak of Ireland, I mean Eire, otherwise I say Northern Ireland.

We don’t have source imagery available yet for Ireland and Northern Ireland, thus the name of the series bring TrueEarth Great Britain.

XP11 version is first, followed by P3D and AFS2.

XP11 version of TE Netherlands is about 60-70% done but the team is finishing up TE GB South at the moment.

Archived