Possible Meigs problem?

andy1252

Your load order is wrong (and in fact your scenery_packs.ini is quite mixed up.

If we only look at KCGX, you currently have the following order:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_C_Overlay/

Change this to

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_A_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_KCGX_C_Overlay/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ_Orbx_KCGX_Merrill_C_Meigs_Field/

But as I said, there are more issues with your ini file. As a general rule:

Airports come first.

Then come overlays (autogen and stuff).

Then come meshes (often with zzz in the folder names, but also Ortho4XP).

Hi M D, thanks for the info, and I'll have a shuffle round. That ini file is untouched by (my) human hand - it's just as it appeared after I had installed a couple of things. Is it safe to assume then that installs need to be monitored (i.e. check the scenery ini file afterwards)?

And when you say "comes first", does that mean at the top of the ini file or the bottom?

'Scuse my ignorance, I'm plenty capable of messing around with P3D configs but just beginning with XP.

Every time you add an item to the Custom Scenery folder in XP it will reorganise the scenery ini. The best procedure to adopt is to add the new item/scenery then run XP. Close XP and open up the scenery ini and rearrange the ini in the sequence advised by M.Donick above. XP tends to sequence the ini in alphabetical order that is why for example there are often prefixes of zzz for items that need to be at the bottom of the ini. If you are just installing a basic airport without any surrounding scenery or "overlay" then just installing the airport will leave that airport at the top of the ini, which is where it should be. KCGX though consists of more elements such as Overlay hence it needs sequencing correctly after installation.

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Every time you add an item to the Custom Scenery folder in XP it will reorganise the scenery ini. The best procedure to adopt is to add the new item/scenery then run XP. Close XP and open up the scenery ini and rearrange the ini in the sequence advised by M.Donick above. XP tends to sequence the ini in alphabetical order that is why for example there are often prefixes of zzz for items that need to be at the bottom of the ini. If you are just installing a basic airport without any surrounding scenery or "overlay" then just installing the airport will leave that airport at the top of the ini, which is where it should be. KCGX though consists of more elements such as Overlay hence it needs sequencing correctly after installation.

Ah, thanks for that JJC. I can see a whole bunch of research is going to be needed before I start to feel comfortable with XP. But I will give it a go. I gave up on XP10 as, on top of the basic learning curve, I found the interface almost unusable on a big 4k monitor, but the XP11 look is much more manageable. As is customary, the documentation is not what it should be but then it never is these days. But that's why we have forums!

1 hour ago, M. Donick said:

The X-Plane user manual has a paragraph on scenery adding and sorting:

http://www.x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/#addingscenery

Hi M D, yep, I'd found that but it wasn't exactly forthcoming. Your previous response was far more useful and triggered some old memories from when I first tried out XP with XP10. So, with your response and a bit of digging around on the web I'm on my way with that aspect of it now. It's all kind of fun, as after just a couple of days messing around I can see quite a big change in how it sits on my system. Who knows - I may yet end up bi-simual!

Archived