Orbx and X-Plane releases in 2018

John Venema

4 hours ago, jfwharton said:

I purchased the ORBX True Earth Great Britain South scenery.  It's lovely and I plan on purchasing the rest of GB when it's released.  Just a shame that it's summer only.  Something I hate about XP11.  So I've configured my system so that I can turn off TEGB south in the winter time so I can enjoy the snow.  Such a waste only having a summer season when newer products are coming out for XP11 that offer at least both winter and summer textures.

Well for starters that would effectively double an already massive data size, hence the decision to only have one season.  Not to mention that imagery for winter is unlikely to exist for the purposes of creating the scenery, it is photorealistic scenery after all. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, jfwharton said:

Thank you for the information regarding snow in Great Britain.  Is there snow in the more northern areas such as Scotland, and if so would that area, when done by ORBX, provide snow in the winter?

The way things are developing on X-plane 11, the better bet is to rely on the weather add-ons to do that. Apparently XEnviro is developing a technology to bring seasons to X-Plane and they already showed some pictures of it. The snow is based on the shaders, not on textures. Apparently it looks good and it will work on photoreal sceneries too.

P.S.: This tech will simulate the snow formation based on the weather + altitude. 

On 11/21/2018 at 6:47 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Great Britain is not routinely snow covered in winter, so turning it white all

over is to create something that very rarely happens.

....so I know who I'll be asking to shovel the snow off my drive this winter....!

Well, I still have FSX on my pc. Added P3Dv4 a year or two ago and added XP11 in the last month or so.

I might remove FSX at some point as I rarely use it now. I plan to keep and use both P3D and XP.

All credit to Orbx with their pricing across sims. It makes it far less painful to add scenery to a sim.

I am very impressed with TEGBS in XP. Perhaps because I know the area so well, I enjoy it more.

Anyway, my plan is to keep buying new Orbx releases for both P3D and XP :).

Hi John... I'm loving ORBX..I have tons of ORBX from the FSX days (which I've now deleted).,  because, like a lot of people, a year ago I saw X-Plane is the future, switched over,..and am quickly building my X-Plane ORBX library. A couple things..I've got a couple ORBX boxed sceneries from FSX days (Jandakot, Broome, and Bundesburg come to mind) is it possible for you guys to consider some kind of discount to switch them over to X-Plane? The other thing I want to point out... Today I checked out your TrueEarth over Plymouth UK. Absolutely stunning! With the rolling hills and rivers and bridges. The only thing wrong with it is that the X-Plane gateway EGHD absolutely sucks in your scenery, trees and buildings on the taxiways etc, runway has hills and valleys like a bloody ski jump on it. And I haven't found a payware airport for it. SOooo...could you guys PLEEEEEEZE consider doing an EGHB Plymouth airport?? Pretty please, I'll be your first customer.

Hi guys, I belong to an X-Plane group on FB, and I've seen several members make comments like this one I received this evening from a friend in an email. { The other week I downloaded Orbx GB, but had loads of terrain errors. Finally, I left part "C" out, and used ortho4xp.}   So far, I haven't noticed what errors they are talking about, but I thought I'd give you a heads up. I assume, any errors you find, you'll occasionally issue patches. Have a great day.

If they are getting terrain errors it’s because their download or decompression phase was interrupted and incomplete. Most of the support issues we see are coming from people not waiting until the entire installation process is finished. It can take a very long time on some PCs, especially if you have antivirus running (even Windows defender).

If they get terrain errors they should run a ‘Verify’ process on the installation and FTX Central,will download and decompress the missing files.

Installing their own orthoXP tiles instead of the Orbx ones defeats the purpose of the product - they will be missing colour correction and tree footprint baking, making the appearance of the product vastly different to our promo screenshots.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it from 2 people, about mesh issues but personally, I found your TrueEarth to be fabulous with nicer rolling hills than ORTHO, so you'll find no issue with me, I love your TrueEarth, I was just passing the info along in case we missed something...oh, one thing I did notice ( wrong?) though with GB Central. I used to live in Seaton Rutland, near Uppingham and Nottingham, the Harringworth Viaduct is a railway bridge with Roman arches, and it looks like you have it as a road bridge. I could be wrong, but I flew over it, and that's what it looks like. 

• 1 month later...

Any idea when you will be porting the busiest GA airport in Australia to X plane 11?

It would be great to be able to fly from Jandakot YPJT to Broome YBRM or be able to fly a helicopter around a circuit and into the helicopter training precinct!

Xplane 11 is just so good for helicopters compared to P3D.

3 hours ago, Mawson said:

Any idea when you will be porting the busiest GA airport in Australia to X plane 11?

It would be great to be able to fly from Jandakot YPJT to Broome YBRM or be able to fly a helicopter around a circuit and into the helicopter training precinct!

Xplane 11 is just so good for helicopters compared to P3D.

1 hour ago, Scott Harmes said:

Busiest?  From which source?

My source says Moorabbin, Bankstown and Parafield were all busier.

Cheers,

Doesn't matter ..... I will take ALL of them orbx!  Cheers.

• 9 months later...

Archived