Orbx and X-Plane releases in 2018

John Venema

John Venema, Thank You for your continued support of our Lovely PNW Region!  I can’t wait to buy all my local GA Airports for X-Plane 11.  Eagerly anticipating preview shots in the Simulator.  

A couple of notes: I am not sure if it is bone animation or not, but Airfoil Labs released the Arlington Municipal Airport (KAWO). It has animated 3d People walking around, and very much reminds me of an ORBX style airport with an extended custom coverage area that you would see while in the pattern.  

Second, Drzeweicki Designs are hard at work on their Seattle City, and Airports release for X-Plane 11. (KBFI, KRNT, KPAE, S50, and KSEA) Could you find a way to possibly add a little more custom buildings to the City of Tacoma for your upcoming PNW Photoreal?  It is the 2nd largest city in the State of Washington, with a few really nice architectural highlights.  However every single simulation, and addon product have completely ignored this fact.  ORBX previously gave the city the most love by including the Port of Tacoma in PR, but cut short right at the City Skyline.  There are probably 5-6 choice buildings/Bridges that would really make an otherwise generic cityscape “pop” in the Simulator. 

Keep up the Amazing Work, and a sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart for moving in the direction that you are.  

-Preston

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome news! This also gives other developers a direction. And when X-Plane gets Vulcan support, it will be even more amazing. We can already see the Maxx series coming, with SMP 4.6 and now TerraMAXX introducing seasons into X-Plane for the first time.

Thank you guys at OrbX for this daring step to guide the rest of the developers around. :)

• 1 month later...

I was very excited when ORBX announced it would start producing scenery for X-Plane 11, but have also been a bit disappointed as well.  I had purchased scenery from IBlueYonder, their Nantucket scenery and their Minute Man and Plum Island.  I saw the offer to transfer those over to ORBX but unfortunately I purchased them through X-Aviation so I was not able to put in an IBlueYonder order number.  Kind of bummed me out.  I guess my big question is regarding seasons and the ORBX scenery.  I recently purchased TerraMaxx which gives me seasons with the generic X-Plane 11 scenery and was wondering if the scenery provided by ORBX will either support TerraMaxx or provide it's own seasonal textures.  I also have noticed that some 3rd party senery providers have started providing seasonal textures in their scenery.

Completely agree, in fact I’ve completely removed my other sims bar X Plane 11 and Aerofly FS2. I use Otho4XP also and like you the addition of the new ORBX Barton airport will greatly enhance the scenery in this area. I fly mainly VR using Ortho tiles Liverpool to Leeds area with X - Europe 2.0 and I can’t express how real this feels, sitting in that cockpit in the evening with X Plane’s fantastic lighting and flicking switches with my hands. It’s as real as it gets! And now with ORBX on board with some UK scenery in the works, it’s going to get even more emersive. I can’t wait! [emoji3]
Do you advance throttle by hand in vr or you use hardware?

Hallo,

i have baught the new manchester scenery for x-plane 11 and i am very happy with it. Now my question:

would it be possible to make the other freeware xp-11 sceneries available as cross-platform downloads like it is for the manchester scenery?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sincerely Rolf

Edit: I am Mac User

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Venturi said:

Do you advance throttle by hand in vr or you use hardware?

You can do both. I still use my hotas with XP11 in VR, and it has mouse support in VR too, so you don't even need to use the controllers even in the menus. If you fly with the touch controllers and all the controls are virtual, it works ok, but personally I find the lack of tactile feedback less satisying. I love the feeling of cold smooth metal in my hand using the Warthog stick.

Can Orbx modify the awful X-Plane roads, with their wide borders, which makes the roads look as if they have been pasted on top of the landscape, rather than integral to the scenery? And traffic driving on the left in all roads in the UK, not just the motorways...?

23 minutes ago, Nick792 said:

Can Orbx modify the awful X-Plane roads, with their wide borders, which makes the roads look as if they have been pasted on top of the landscape, rather than integral to the scenery? And traffic driving on the left in all roads in the UK, not just the motorways...?

There's a mod for everything - for example:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41811-road-and-autogen-textures-for_photoscenery/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-238349

• 2 weeks later...

John and team, thanks for your support of XP, I moved away from 30 years of MFS and enjoy XP more, I was going to say your new scenery is the icing on the cake, but it's much more than that.  XP11 is really lacking in some area's, but the future looks bright!  I will be picking up Meigs this evening, I think the first FS I had was the one that only had Meigs field, the box came with a paper chart of the area and the VOR's, it may have been the bay area though, FS3 I think, 1988 when I was 13, I flew of off Meigs field 1000's of times in the Cessna, looking forward to your latest version.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are great news. 

I always admired the orbx products but never got one as I never had fsx, only xplane. 

Now I can... 

BTW what is the best orbx scenery for X-Plane 11 for small GA planes and helicopters? 

Now, you know where all people in Europe want to go? French riviera. South East of France. Cannes mandelieu Airport, LFMD. Small business Airport, with on one side Monaco, everybody knows Monaco, and on the other side Saint tropez. We have the sea, and the mountains, not far away. That would be an awesome scenery to add to orbx :) 

Needless to say, LFMD is where I fly :) 

• 1 month later...

I have pretty much ORBX scenery for P3D, but I got frustrated with P3D and went back to X-plane 11. I am so pleased with ORBX moving to X-plane now and that your Holland scenery has got a place in your planning! Looking forward to its release!

• 1 month later...

@John Venema I know it may be a long shoot...but seen that some months have past any hint of when we can see other GA Airfields? Any discount for existing user on P3D? 

I remember to have read somewhere you were dealing with laminar for "bone animation" a while back :) they should really up the game with atc and traffic but hopefully you can implement your own traffic (just realised and downloaded the version for V4...it adds to the experience! thanks for converting it!)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have chanche my flight simulators from FSX to XP-11. So I want to fly also with ORBX .

"South England" is the best example for reality scenery like many FSX sceneries fom ORBX.

Unfortunately this this scenery has some difficults to go.

So I have put all 3 orders who was downloaded, in my custom order. But there was a error massage instead a wonderful scenery South England, like the attach.

What can I do to repair this error?

best regards

Michael

Fehlermeldung XP11.jpg

Hello,

there is actually nothing wrong with the installer or the installation.

As a result of complaints, I have tested the installation.

It installed successfully but with enough disk space, enough time

and with no outside interruptions.

You should make sure that X Plane 11 is on a drive large enough to hold

it all, reinstall FTX Central using this guide

Please read this and act on it if required.

Make sure that you select a drive on the FTX Central settings page that is large enough to accommodate the installation

as well and it should install the product.

Be aware that even after the download is finished, another two hours or so may be needed.

The final installed size is around 127 GB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently an FSX user but looking to move to a 64 bit sim, P3D V4.3 or X Plane 11.  I currently have a large number of Orbx regions and airfields which will transfer to P3D V4.3. 

My question is will FTX Central ever be able to load these scenery textures in to X Plane 11 or will X Plane 11 require me to re-purchase the 100's of pounds (GPB) worth scenery I already have?

JV - Any plans to transfer the Turbulent Designs XP11 airports over to Orbx?  I have them and it would be more convenient to have them under FTX Central.  The topic may have been addressed elsewhere, but I have not seen the topic discussed.

On 11/6/2018 at 4:30 PM, cliveroscoe said:

Hi, I am currently an FSX user but looking to move to a 64 bit sim, P3D V4.3 or X Plane 11.  I currently have a large number of Orbx regions and airfields which will transfer to P3D V4.3. 

My question is will FTX Central ever be able to load these scenery textures in to X Plane 11 or will X Plane 11 require me to re-purchase the 100's of pounds (GPB) worth scenery I already have?

I would suggest Xplane, personally moved from FSX to P3D, however it is still has pretty much the FSX feel in my opinion, you can get quite a lot freeware on Xplane (so you have a lot of usable Airports unlike 12 years old layouts in P3D and some close to payware quality really), the age is there for MSFE engine :) ORBX stuff looks great on Xplane with zero frame loss!

John:  it is hard for an ancient like me.  Maybe I will advertise for a local resident to set XP-11 up for me on my computer.

But your emphasis on XP in your note makes me wonder whether you see it as the sim of the future.

I have never been into a sim v sim debate,  each to his own, but I really want product to continue steadily for P3D.  It is all I need and I will pay.

We don't favour any sim over the other. Each has their own merits. Our goal as a company is to move to a sim-agnostic position so you can enjoy our products no matter what your favourite sim is and for the benefits each brings. But we are a few years away from that right now.

I think a large percentage of our customers run one of more sim on their PCs.

I think some of our long standing P3D customers are getting a little nervous because of all the XP11 activity at the moment, but there is more P3D projects being worked on behind the scenes than XP ones. Sometimes there is just a lag between projects that's all. Remember, a lot of the XP activity is ports of products that P3D users had many years ago.

11 hours ago, John Venema said:

We don't favour any sim over the other. Each has their own merits. Our goal as a company is to move to a sim-agnostic position so you can enjoy our products no matter what your favourite sim is and for the benefits each brings. But we are a few years away from that right now.

I think some of our long standing P3D customers are getting a little nervous because of all the XP11 activity at the moment, but there is more P3D projects being worked on behind the scenes than XP ones. Sometimes there is just a lag between projects that's all. Remember, a lot of the XP activity is ports of products that P3D users had many years ago.

What kind of lag time should we expect for TrueEarth GB South P3D?

XP11 has much more 'low hanging fruit' so that sceneries that were lying around in the OrbX underground vault can be ported over and a new market opens up for relatively little work compared to developing a project from scratch. I leapfrogged from FSX to XP11, missing P3D completely, and it's actually great that many of the titles I bought for FSX that are now redundant on my system, are getting a new lease of life and I get to enjoy them again in XP11. The 40% discount is a great idea in my opinion, I'm not sure I would have bought everything again had it been full price, but at the pocket money prices the discount offers, it's an easy decision.

It seems a win win situation to me; OrbX does more business, XP11 gets more airports, OrbX grows so it can develop more stuff across all platforms, so we all benefit in the long term.

Hello,

I think I've red somewhere on the forum that ORBX was open for GB airport suggestions ( can't find back the topic though ). Would you consider to make an orbx version of EGFH swansea airport for xplane11?

It's a very nice place to depart for GA exploring wales territory, this is probably the place I've departed the most since you've released the amazing True Earth Great Britain South...

Looking forward to see the next ORBX release!

Best

JF_Socata_TB10+TB20_16.jpg

On 11/13/2018 at 9:37 AM, John Venema said:

Probably because after all P3D is FSX and many are moving to Xplane as after all it is a new platform... I personally still use P3D however 30 to 1 compared to Xplane despite over 20 years with the platform, really it starts to feel old and with "guessed" physics :) Though Laminar has A LOT to do to make it a "prefect sim" which I am guessing won't happen until next Xplane.

Looking forward to see what ORBX will bring up on Xplane and of course PNW next year :)

I purchased the ORBX True Earth Great Britain South scenery.  It's lovely and I plan on purchasing the rest of GB when it's released.  Just a shame that it's summer only.  Something I hate about XP11.  So I've configured my system so that I can turn off TEGB south in the winter time so I can enjoy the snow.  Such a waste only having a summer season when newer products are coming out for XP11 that offer at least both winter and summer textures.

Archived