Run 4.0 and 4.2 without problems?

maxkillers

I have 4.0 with 500gb's off addons and don't really want to re-install, but I would like to know if I can install 4.2 while having 4.0 with me. I have different drive's so I can install on so no pressure there, but would there be any harm done, since I'm only planning to use 4.2 for only 4.2 addons, and nothing else...? 

Okay, I have 4.0 at the moment, and I do not wish to update it straight to 4.2, so I am getting a complete fresh install off 4.2 on my pc, while having 4.0 as my main Sim. The reason why is cause my main sim has 500gb's worth off addons and I don't want to screw it up. So I want to have 4.2 in lets say, a different drive on my PC, and 4.0 in my main drive.  Can I use Orbx on both sims at the same time? Will there be any error's doing this? Is it safer to run on a 4.2 on a different drive completely, or on the same drive that has 4.0? I'm use to having 1 sim installed so this is quiet scary for me!

I am using V2.4 and V4.0 on the same drive, both using ORBX without any trouble.

I did have FSX installed on drive C at the same time without and issues but I now have that on an external HDD with just the ORBX Australian stuff and OZx.

I am sure that someone can give a better technical answer that me. But top of the head, I am doubtful that you can do it.

Different simulators - say P3D v2.4 and P3Dv4 or FSX and P3Dv4 - then yes you can do it. No problem.

But 4.0 and 4.2 are not different simulators, they are the same simulator, so I think that you might have issues.

If there are different registry entries for these two P3DV4 versions then it will recognise that.  Otherwise I think you're out of lucjk.

Anyway if you just download the rtecommended update and run it, you shouldn't have any issues.  That's what I did and all my add-ons remained in place.  I'm guessing that those who have been reporting messed up files have probably got their own file structure in place.  I keep mine absolutely as the installers place it.

• 4 weeks later...

Me too but for me it works.

They can be kept apart by having one registry entry and renaming the P3D folder to match that.

One has all the Orbx software in it, the other has none.

One is version 4.2, 4.1, 4.0 and the other 4.2, 4.1, 4.1.

It makes no difference which client version is in each.

This is purely to allow me to test when errors are reported.

I also have a dual boot Windows 10 / Windows 7 installation and can run them under Windows 7 too, if

the support request demands it.

On 21/03/2018 at 3:50 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Me too but for me it works.

They can be kept apart by having one registry entry and renaming the P3D folder to match that.

One has all the Orbx software in it, the other has none.

One is version 4.2, 4.1, 4.0 and the other 4.2, 4.1, 4.1.

It makes no difference which client version is in each.

This is purely to allow me to test when errors are reported.

I also have a dual boot Windows 10 / Windows 7 installation and can run them under Windows 7 too, if

the support request demands it.

Nick I never heard of this being possible. I have a 4.0 that is running smooth and I don't what to upgrade it. It would be nice to have a how to guide on this. 4.2 and 4.0 on the same pc. Please !

Archived