Why are my runway lights so big?

Stillwater

I took these screenshots in YMML, but I see these in other Orbx airports, too.

2018-2-9_18-42YMMLrunwaylights.jpg
2018-2-9_18-43lights2.jpg

Imagine´s WSSS does not show this. I checked if there is any possible setting in Vector or in the lights configurator, but did not find an idea. Maybe someone here has it?

Hi Stillwater,

Have you experimented with the brightness and size options in the Light Configurator? There should be a User Guide in your Orbx User Documents folder if you have recently installed the Configurator.

Perhaps I can offer some thoughts that apply to all lights. Without special tricks,  how lights done as effects or done as small models attenuate with distance is governed by the sim. Imagine that this represents some sort of curve of brightness and pixel area vs distance from the camera. My impression is that although this curve may be applicable in some circumstances it does not match the characteristics of the human eye when it's dark. Among other things, it does not seem to properly account for the change in pupil size as it gets dark as well as the difference between rods and cones. This is the reason why you can see light sources when it's dark  much farther away then you could if your pupil was fixed and you eye only had cone receptors.

So to make a light in the sim visible at any appreciable distance it must be much larger than in real life. There is however a way to 'trick' the sim but it is only occasionally used for various reasons.  

3 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Have you experimented with the brightness and size options in the Light Configurator? There should be a User Guide in your Orbx User Documents folder if you have recently installed the Configurator.

Thank you Larry. I have just set the size to "small" and will do a test now.

Hi guys,

FYI, the Orbx Global Lights Configurator only affects the 3D light effects placed on the landclass textures or along roads. Airport navigation lights are an entirely different type and are either custom effects made for a particular airport or else the default light effects utilizing the "halo.bmp" file in the global \Texture folder. There are quite a few third-party add-ons (not Orbx) that modify the default halo.bmp so perhaps Gerold has installed one of them?

Cheers, Holger

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

There are quite a few third-party add-ons (not Orbx) that modify the default halo.bmp so perhaps Gerold has installed one of them?

My P3D only has orbx, ozx and some payware airports installed. I do not know if some of those 3rd party stuff was causing this. How can I get back the default halo.bmp - can someone just add it here?

I can add: I tried Larry´s hint, but as expected by Holger this was no cure.

Holger seems to be very good in diagnosis from a longer distance... indeed the halo.bmp in my D:\Prepar3D v4\Texture folder is a version from 24.09.2013, probably not the latest P3D version...

Can anyone send me the p3d default halo.bmp file?

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Holger seems to be very good in diagnosis from a longer distance... indeed the halo.bmp in my D:\Prepar3D v4\Texture folder is a version from 24.09.2013, probably not the latest P3D version...

Can anyone send me the p3d default halo.bmp file?

Sent you a pm :).

Archived