Go tell it on the mountain

Stillwater

In order to singasong we start from Strahan today...

2018-1-22_15-38Strahan623fd.jpg

... turn left over the mouth of King River. After beginning of ore mining in the 1880s, this river was considered the most polluted river of the continent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_River_(Tasmania) Since the closure of the mine in late 1995, and the construction of a tailings dam by the new operators, tailings no longer enter the river system. However, acid water continues to enter the river due to mine dewatering and run-off from the waste rock dumps. Without the buffering previously provided by the alkaline tailings, the acidity in the Queen and King rivers has increased, and dissolved metal concentrations have greatly increased-to levels highly toxic to aquatic life.

2018-1-22_15-39KingRiver5f595.jpg

Some photoreal has been added to the scenery here, confusing to see this in a "wilderness state". About 1.5 million tonnes of sulfidic tailings entered the river system each year up to 1995, along with huge volumes of acidic, metal-rich water flowing from the workings. This 'acid mine drainage' is derived from water leaching through the exposed and oxidised sulfide rocks. When it was in operation, the fumes from the ore smelter produced acid rain which also leached minerals from the bare Queenstown hills.

2018-1-22_15-43Queenstown434ff.jpg

Let´s continue flying "over the hills and everywhere"..., to be more precise: To Lake Macquarie...
2018-1-22_15-51LakeMacquarieac643.jpg

... followed by Dove Lake. Its coastline and vegetation is only badly reproduced in the sim, some Vector & Landclass update could attract virtual hikers much more!

2018-1-22_15-53DoveLakec7d72.jpg
2_DoveLake.jpg

To Lake Barrington and its rowing track https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Barrington_(Tasmania) . Unfortunately Hendrik Nielsen has not (yet) added dragon boats to his ship traffic!
2018-1-22_15-58LakeBarrington78d3c.jpg

Mt. Roland to the right, Claude Road airstrip below. And probably we even make "shepherds feared and trembled".
2018-1-22_15-59MtRoland6f5a2.jpg

Now following Bass Highway to Westbury...
2018-1-22_16-7Westbury8f4a8.jpg

... and approaching the Tamar Valley with Ben Lomond ahead.

2018-1-22_16-8BenLomond9c477.jpg

Turning into final over Launceston...

2018-1-22_16-12Launy88f21.jpg

... and here we are!

2018-1-22_16-17YMLTa7a21.jpg

Now I´ll start to look for familiar faces here, maybe even some Orbx VIPs are around?!

4 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice facts and tour

Thanks for watching & reading, Taph!

2 hours ago, paulb said:

An interesting flight Gerold. I didn't know that you were a doctor? Hidden talents? ;):D

Not so hidden, it is painted on a number of KingAir liveries in my hangar :D!

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Super  flight and shots Gerold an thanks all of the information about the area.

Thank you John. I just wanted to share the surprising & interesting readabouts...

40 minutes ago, teecee said:

Great tour mate.. sorry about the PR, you can remove it if you want to..I will email you with the file name..Teecee.

Thanks Terry, and no worries about the PR: Even if it does not blend perfectly into the scenery, it is a vital (or better non-vital) part of the area!

I really enjoyed the tour of this part of Tassie with so many familiar places visited in RL and FSim.

Just like a broken record, I am eager to see the improvements in the new AUS when it comes out.

Some interesting but sad info about the damage done to the environment here, Queenstown looks like the moon in RL.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was great Gerold!  Between you and Martyn I learn so much.  I'm trying to do the same but it ain't easy! :huh:

The main thing is we have fun here, and I am sure you do ;)!

20 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I really enjoyed the tour of this part of Tassie with so many familiar places visited in RL and FSim.

Just like a broken record, I am eager to see the improvements in the new AUS when it comes out.

Some interesting but sad info about the damage done to the environment here, Queenstown looks like the moon in RL.

Thanks for watching & commenting, Martyn. There are indeed some customers who are keen to see AUv2 or whatever it should be called.

In real life a "Queenstown v2" would also be great, or at least some global learning on how to "treat" waste...

Wonderful series of shots and stories behind your tours of

this great State Gerold. They breed them tough on the West Coast. Their

football ground in Queenstown, was or is gravel and that's where they played.

The RFDS base in Lonny has its own King Air of which I see flying out several

times a day, they do a fantastic job. ( perhaps of to Queenstown to pick up footballers:D:unsure:)

cheers

Gumby

Wonderful geographical awareness narration Gerold, and great pictures to go along with it! You are doing as good as Martyn does with providing lesser known information to us non-Aussie's :) Very much appreciate that. 

1 hour ago, gumbypickett said:

Wonderful series of shots and stories behind your tours of

this great State Gerold. They breed them tough on the West Coast. Their

football ground in Queenstown, was or is gravel and that's where they played.

The RFDS base in Lonny has its own King Air of which I see flying out several

times a day, they do a fantastic job. ( perhaps of to Queenstown to pick up footballers:D:unsure:)

cheers

Gumby

Thank you so much for the compliments and the linked information on real life. Great to see I have picked a proper livery... B)!

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Wonderful geographical awareness narration Gerold, and great pictures to go along with it! You are doing as good as Martyn does with providing lesser known information to us non-Aussie's :) Very much appreciate that. 

Thank you, mate! Never forget I still should be considered a non-Aussie as well... :D.

18 hours ago, stewart1 said:

very interesting flight Gerold and super screen shots as well what more do we want I really enjoyed thanks regards Stewart

Always good to read you like my travel, Stewart!

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice indeed 

cheers 

Iain 

Thanks Iain!

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Terrific shots from Tassie Gerold !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks for commenting, John!

2 hours ago, kjrman said:

Great shots and a wonderful tour!!

Thank you KJR.

Always a pleasure to do some low & slow flying over interesting scenery!

Archived