Travelling in Terry´s Territory

Stillwater

One of my favourite low&slow flights is chapter 3 of the fantastic route description by @teecee : VFR3 Hobart to Magical melaleuca.rtf

I have to admit that I omitted the Derwent River today, and headed out of Hobart...

2018-1-21_18-2Hobart.jpg
2018-1-21_18-3YMHB.jpg

... directly to the prisons ruins of Port Arthur. TouristFlow would change this picture a lot, I guess.

2018-1-21_18-12PortArthur.jpg

Whilst other tourists enjoy the quiet beaches of Bruny Island.

2018-1-21_18-19BrunyIsland.jpg

Don´t go too long in this direction, as Terry points out the next landfall would be Antarctica from here - it is the southernmost point of Australia.

2018-1-21_18-31SECape.jpg
2018-1-21_18-32-30-281.jpg

Another shortcut from me today, just after reaching the Maatsuyker Islands...
2018-1-21_18-41Maatsuyker.jpg

... towards the southwestern bays...

2018-1-21_18-42SWBays.jpg

... and into Bathurst Harbour.

2018-1-21_18-46BathurstHarbour.jpg
2018-1-21_18-48YBHB.jpg

Deboarded. What are we going to do tonight at this remote place https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melaleuca,_Tasmania ?

2018-1-21_18-52Deboarded.jpg

Excellent series of images from your flight Gerold.

Well if you are bereft of ideas there is some excellent bush walking to be had at Melaleuca. Of course you could have probably packed a cricket bat in your plane so you could have a game.:huh:

17 hours ago, teecee said:

Great story mate..I had almost forgotten that set of flights.. done quite as while ago. Thanks fo the memories. Terry.

Thank you Terry. I always have your flight suggestions at hand when exploring Tassie (again).

17 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Wonderful flight report, thanks.

Thank you for commenting, Lars.

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Stupendous shots from Tassie Gerold , I love that last RL shot . :):DB):lol:

Cheers

John

I could not avoid to add some RL to this post, John :D!

16 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Gerold, quite the nice flight and narration. I wasn't familiar with the history of the flight, so thanks for the info. And that nice shot is, of course, not too shabby ;)

The history of this remote area is interesting, indeed. Glad that I could warm you up with the nice shot B)!

14 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent series of images from your flight Gerold.

Well if you are bereft of ideas there is some excellent bush walking to be had at Melaleuca. Of course you could have probably packed a cricket bat in your plane so you could have a game.:huh:

Thanks Martyn. Bushwalking, Cricket... I may have something else in mind to fill the time... :ph34r:

14 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Nice shots, but for some reason I keep going back to the last one.

Can´t understand that, John, you should focus on the flight action here!

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful set of captures Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam!

5 hours ago, paulb said:

Great flight and shots Gerold! :)

It looks like you are ready to party in your last shot! ;):D

Thank you Paul. Indeed, you have captured my intention.

1 hour ago, stewart1 said:

Fantastic info and flight Gerold  and super set of shots and the last shot is my Favourite out of them all regards stewart 

Thank you Stewart. And I thought your favourites need to include green planes ;)?!

Great set Gerold, especially he last one!  :wub:  I think she beats the lady in red, I dunno.

Anyway, may I please enquire as to the exact process you use the get the names of the landmarks and places below?  I know Martyn keeps the coordinates on and uses google earth but do you do it differently?  And, did I ask you this already?  If so sorry. 

44 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Very impressive R/L shots of your flight but that last sim screen, wow, Orbx has outdone themselves on that one! ;):wub::D

I assume this might have been a little add-on by OZx... ;)

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great set Gerold, especially he last one!  :wub:  I think she beats the lady in red, I dunno.

Anyway, may I please enquire as to the exact process you use the get the names of the landmarks and places below?  I know Martyn keeps the coordinates on and uses google earth but do you do it differently?  And, did I ask you this already?  If so sorry. 

Thank you Jack. She´s not on the phone either (no connection down there :D)!

My navigation is the old-fashioned way: I have a detailed Tasmania map... and some places I know already by heart. Sorry to be of no reproducible use ;)!

7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I assume this might have been a little add-on by OZx... ;)

Thank you Jack. She´s not on the phone either (no connection down there :D)!

My navigation is the old-fashioned way: I have a detailed Tasmania map... and some places I know already by heart. Sorry to be of no reproducible use ;)!

Thanks Gerold.

10 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

My navigation is the old-fashioned way: I have a detailed Tasmania map

Gerold, that is hardly old fashioned. In this GPS era, staying proficient with map and compass navigation are skills that are back in the forefront of training. There are many 'threats' to the modern day GPS systems that our lives rely on now, and they can easily be taken down. Having those map and compass skills are very important. ;) 

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Gerold, that is hardly old fashioned. In this GPS era, staying proficient with map and compass navigation are skills that are back in the forefront of training. There are many 'threats' to the modern day GPS systems that our lives rely on now, and they can easily be taken down. Having those map and compass skills are very important. ;) 

I would like $10 for every time I have read this Landon and  despite being an arm chair aviator they are words that I can understand make complete sense.:)

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

The bikini girl beating the lady in red............:o

.......i'd like to see that.:lol:

From 1994 when it was a great game.

28 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Love this set, Hmm I can only imagine what Gerold was thinking in the last shot as he gave the unusual stare to the nice lady in the bikini :)

Haha, excellent trip!

Oh, now that you tell me I discover there was a lady on the picture. I only had eyes for the big red icebox...

Archived